Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anna Kournikova plays at the Sacramento Capitals (07/06/2006)

Default Re: Anna Kournikova plays at the Sacramento Capitals (07/06/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by HulaGirl
    Ummm sorry to say but it's pretty clear that she has lost muscle mass. She definitely did not GAIN muscle. She probably lost some fat too (what little of it she had in the first place) but she is much too stickly now. She doesn't even look athletic anymore; she has more of a model's body now.
    Honestly! There are no women on the professional circuit now that look as emaciated as she does. It's just not athletic or healthy. Look at Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, none of them look like this.
    And yeah, she was not a particularly accomplished doubles player. She had great potential as a youngster when she came thisclose to winning the Wimbledon singles title but she never amounted to anything because tennis wasn't her number one priority. Her serve was also notoriously disastrous.

Silver Member

Truth be told she was making so MUCH money away from tennis it took away from her training time. She was the highest paid female athlete for many years due to her endorsements. Although I don't think she would have ever been anything but a mediocre player on tour, if she devoted all her attention to training, I do believe she may have been able to win at least one tournament.

As for her Doubles play, the only reason she won anything was due to the fact her partner was Martina Hingis, who, at the time was the top tennis player in the world.

Now girls like Hingis are unable to compete due to the fact, most of the girls are built like brick house's. In Hingis' time it was more finesses now the game is all power. I truly believe some of these girls are taking Human Growth Hormones to bulk up (undetectable by urine tests).

Sorry for the rant and being off topic.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by japangherl
    Why does she wear makeup to play tennis? I wouldn't wear makeup while working out, I'd be afraid of it running down my face.
    I was thinking that as well but she doesn't look like she's sweating while playing.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I was thinking that as well but she doesn't look like she's sweating while playing.
    that's cuz she's not trying!!!

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    not really. the only grand slam title she has is from playing doubles with hingis, and i remember hingis having to bail her out a few times and just generally out-playing her.
    i also remember one singles match where she made 31 double faults.
    Actually, Anna was at one time ranked #1 in the world as a doubles player. She has won 16 doubles titles, 2 of which were at the Australian Open, a Grand Slam tournament. She was also a finalist at mixed doubles at the US open and Wimbleton. All I'm saying is she does have some talent at doubles, which doesn't get the same recognition that singles does. She is a terrible singles player and of course she is well known for how she looks, not how she plays. And FWIW, I'm not a Kournikova fan, but I do love tennis!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren
    Truth be told she was making so MUCH money away from tennis it took away from her training time. She was the highest paid female athlete for many years due to her endorsements. Although I don't think she would have ever been anything but a mediocre player on tour, if she devoted all her attention to training, I do believe she may have been able to win at least one tournament.

As for her Doubles play, the only reason she won anything was due to the fact her partner was Martina Hingis, who, at the time was the top tennis player in the world.

Now girls like Hingis are unable to compete due to the fact, most of the girls are built like brick house's. In Hingis' time it was more finesses now the game is all power. I truly believe some of these girls are taking Human Growth Hormones to bulk up (undetectable by urine tests).

Sorry for the rant and being off topic.
    totally agree. it's a shame because now women's tennis just bores me, i can't watch it, it's just a bunch of muscled up women whacking a ball really hard. there's none of the beauty, subtlety and finesse of a graf or a hingis.
    i think it was hingis that once said playing against mauresmo (or was it the williams'?) was like playing against a man. of course she got slammed for remark but i for one think she was right...
    and the same thing is happening to men's tennis... we're entering the age of ugly, aggressive tennis played by the likes of nadal, instead of the intelligence of someone like agassi, sampras or federer's game...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

boring ................................................wh ere venus and serena at ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THATS IT !!!

Silver Member

[QUOTE=sputnik]totally agree. it's a shame because now women's tennis just bores me, i can't watch it, it's just a bunch of muscled up women whacking a ball really hard. there's none of the beauty, subtlety and finesse of a graf or a hingis.
    i think it was hingis that once said playing against mauresmo (or was it the williams'?) was like playing against a man. of course she got slammed for remark but i for one think she was right...
    and the same thing is happening to men's tennis... we're entering the age of ugly, aggressive tennis played by the likes of nadal, instead of the intelligence of someone like agassi, sampras or federer's game...[/QUOTE

Hingis said playing against Mauresmo was playing against a man, and also made some critical comments about Mauresmo being a Lesbian.

KD
    Elite Member

^^^Why I refer to Hingis as the "Swiss Bitch." Can't stand her!

^^^^
    she may be a bitch but her tennis was amazing...
    speaking of swiss players, glad to see federer just won wimbledon for a fourth time! another beautiful game and i'd so glad nadal went down!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

KD
    Elite Member

For me, she is such a bitch, won't watch her play and lost all respect for Sergio Garcia for dating her. And I prefer the power games myself, Hingis is a

You know, different strokes for different folks! Pun intended!

No sh*t...she plays tennis??

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    Ewww more food stuck in celeb's teeth!
    Eww, you're right. She also looks tired.

I kind of feel sorry of kournikova these days. Now that Maria Sharapova is out there...anna has NOTHING going for her. She used to be the "hot tennis player"...never mind the fact that she can't play tennis.

Now, Maria is not only hot (and hotter than Anna imo), she can play tennis to boot.

Too bad Anna...losing all your endorsement deals to Maria. Sucks that you don't even have your "sport" to fall back on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information