Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angelina's belly and stretched tattoo

Default Re: Angelina's belly and stretched tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by lalala
    Frankly I can't think of one statement worth printing on my skin for the rest of my life - And no the tediousness has nothing to do with living your life with the same person...but it's rather akin to having to read that person's motto printed on his/her forehead for the rest of your days...well living with the one-dimensioned type who think a motto can define them or guide their life doesn't sound too attractive either

But in a broader sense I wanted to point out that the tattoo was rather a tribute to ignorance - she could have tattooed that in her native language...the choice of latin (as if it had more depth that way) just shows it's unfamiliar to her, nothing more
    She has a cambodian prayer written on the back of her shoulder in Khmer, so I don't see why she can't have latin as well.

And maybe she studied latin in school? I know several people who did and I could see them getting something done in latin.

Anyway, you get used to seeing tattoos on loved ones' bodies, and after a while you don't really even see them anymore. They just become a part of the person.

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove
    She has a cambodian prayer written on the back of her shoulder in Khmer, so I don't see why she can't have latin as well.
    I think you rather prove my point, she must think latin is as exotic as cambodian

Bronze Member

But in a broader sense I wanted to point out that the tattoo was rather a tribute to ignorance - she could have tattooed that in her native language...the choice of latin (as if it had more depth that way) just shows it's unfamiliar to her, nothing more
    How can you possibly speculate on why she got a tattoo written in Latin? It doesn't show us anything, because none of us really know why she got it! So, to presume it shows ignorance doesn't make any sense.

And if Brad's in love with her, he's in love with all of her.

I think you rather prove my point, she must think latin is as exotic as cambodian
    I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. She must think latin is exotic because she has a tattoo that's in latin? Like I said, maybe she just likes latin? Maybe she read the phrase somewhere in latin and liked it? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by kris571
    How can you possibly speculate on why she got a tattoo written in Latin? It doesn't show us anything, because none of us really know why she got it! So, to presume it shows ignorance doesn't make any sense.
    Sheer deduction dear...she obviously finds the latin version more enthralling than an english one...if she was familiar with it it wouldn't hold any superior virtue.

Am I the only one to find such a large tatoo spread all over someone's belly completely inaesthetic?

^^ I am with you. I wonder what it will read after she gives birth and her stomach's all flabby etc.

Ida

Is that a vintage coat that Z. is wearing?

I've had two kids and got teeny stretchmarks on my hips, you can't even see them. She many not get them on her belly, or anywhere at all.
    Let's AV DIS!

Sheer deduction dear...she obviously finds the latin version more enthralling than an english one...if she was familiar with it it wouldn't hold any superior virtue.

Am I the only one to find such a large tatoo spread all over someone's belly completely inaesthetic?
    I actually just read on JustJared that "This phrase can be found in found in capital letters at the top left-hand corner from a portrait of Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlow." So perhaps that's where she got it?

To me it's quite a common saying, but then I'm French

Alright, I looked it up:

Desiree van den Berg steered me towards the origin of the motto. It appears in capital letters at the top left-hand corner of a portrait of a young man that was rescued from builders’ rubbish at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in the 1950s. On the basis that lettering next to the motto describes him as being aged 21 in 1585, the man is thought to be Christopher Marlowe, the future playwright, who obtained his BA at the college in that year and at that age. The Latin words have not been found in classical texts but bear a resemblance to some lines by Shakespeare (written a few years later): ‘Consum’d with that which it was nourish’d by’ (Sonnet 73) and ‘A burning torch that’s turned upside down; / The word, Qui me alit, me extinguit [Who feeds me extinguishes me]’ (Pericles, II.ii.33).

A.D. Wraight wrote in 1965 that, if the portrait is of Marlowe, then the motto refers to his poetic muse ‘which both inspired and nourished him, and yet consumed him with its fiery genius’. But what all this has to do with the stomach of the delectable Tomb Raider actress is anybody’s guess (Q1985).
    Found here: http://www1c.btwebworld.com/quote-unquote/

I don't think that a vague reference to Marlow's muse could entice someone to Tatto a quote, she must like the meaning and find it smarter in latin...Incidentally it figures on many anorexic's blogs

Yes, it is a pro-ana motto, and they got it from Angelina. They use her thinner periods as "thinspiration".

Also, the meaning of the quote, the muse/art nourishing/destroying you ... fits right in with what she has said in the past about how she feels about acting.

Brad doesn't it get repetitious to read the same line on your g/f belly every single day for the rest of your life?

Also if she only knew a bit of latin she wouldn't have found anything cool in having such a bland quote streched all over her belly - "What nurishes me destroys me"...
    That quote is quite true though - it's the human condition.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I love zahara. What a pretty baby!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information