Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Angelina Jolie in Chad (03/12/07)

I doubt it she's actually helping these people.

I've been to some third world countries and I heard over and over again from the poorest of the poor that especially the big organizations aren't very effective.

There are some exceptions, such as churches, which are effective, because they have many volunteers who help. Another one is Medecin sans Frontiers, which again, is depending on volunteering doctors who pay for their own expences.

The Red Cross, UNICEF, and other larger organizations don't have a good reputation in the third world. In fact, UNICEF is known for wasting money and being slow to react to catastrophes.

I was in Sri Lanka after the tsunami to help, and UNICEF was nowhere in sight. The Red Cross brought blankets, haha. Just an example.

Because of her fame, Angelina brings people to donate money to UNICEF, instead of bringing awareness to better organizations. Why? Because it sounds good. Goodwill ambassador, impressive.

I think these pictures are gorgeous.

Hit By Ban Bus!

well thanks Cathy for providing some comic relief.

Silver Member

Well said chilly willy, that is what I wanted to say but did not word it as good as you did.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^yes, I agree.

Bronze Member

I don't see the pictures as staged or unnatural and I read the article online first, before I looked at the photos. People's opinions seem to be basically divided into positive and negative, depending on how they feel about Angelina. I bet that almost any other celebrity of this caliber (maybe with the exception of Madonna) would get an overwhelmingly positive reaction to similar work. From the interview I learned that Angelina traveled alone and in coach to get there .. not that it matters, but some people suggested 5 star accomodations, attention-seeking etc. She's also quite honest about the use of her celebrity status to bring attention to the issues, something she initially avoided. She knows people assume she has egotistical motives but she still carries on. That's what I like about her. She doesn't give a s** what people think of her, she never did.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rambie View Post
    I am not saying what she is doing is bad, IT IS GREAT that she is helping these people I just think her intentions are dishonest, as someone mentioned above she makes it all about her. I think she is so self absorbed and ego maniacal, thats all. I don't like her as a person, I think what she is doing is wonderful, but I can't respect her and I don't have to like her. Is that okay with you Saavy, if I just simply don't like Angelina Jolie? Let me know?
    Don't be an patronizing ass, Rambie. Nothing in my post was attacking anyone who hates Jolie, so don't even imply that I said that. I am attacking the faulty assumption that one can't be a caring person if while shopping at Gucci regardless whether you believe Jolie to be a caring person.
    Last edited by savvy; March 16th, 2007 at 12:43 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

We had that stupid debate already - only it was about a $700 hotel room for a few hours, rather than shopping at Gucci.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information