Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angelina Jolie in Chad (03/12/07)

I really dont care if she is real or not,Mira she can be ,though i very much doubt it.
    I just hate living in a world that needs Angelinas to make us look at the problems ,with newspapers ,magagines tv and the effing internet availiable.
    I do not believe the people who find out the poor countries problems trought Jolies pictures will EVER lift a finger to help.me included.
    The ones to actually help ,already KNOW.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Elite Member

Mira, I don't even know if she has an 'eating problem'. I don't think she does, but people comment on her weight a lot. She could be just naturally thin.

I have however heard of people who come back very effected from seeing first hand the suffering of others. It's one thing to know about it from a distance but to actually meet these people is different. For instance people who come back from wars or from combat...even if the outside looks okay, inside they could see things differently upon their return. These people experienced it, they were there. So there have to be changes for both the better and worse for individuals who've been put in traumatic areas of the world (whether they were there by choice or duty).

Hit By Ban Bus!

This happens for a lot of celebs and people don't believe them. I find that troubling. Why wouldn't they be affected? Just because they're rich and privileged? Most of those celebs grew up middle class or lower, and they fully remember their former lives. I agree with what effie is saying though. The people who can and will help, already know.

My dad was in the Peace Corps. The stories he told... it's SO hard to get anything done. I'm not dissing the Peace Corps but they are up against so much cultural resistance and governmental bureaucracy. It's very frustrating. Some people sign on for another tour just because they feel so strongly about what they were doing for the first 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I don't think Angelina's eating problems are all guilt about the starving children.. maybe partly. There are a lot of people who feel guilty about having more than 90% of the world, myself included, and it's up to us to deal with those feelings in constructive and effective ways, which is individual and personal for everyone.

I can understand effie's point of view, I'm just wondering if it's more the way other celebs are... somehow I feel this is real for AJ.
    True, but mant formerly starving children will horde their food and their bodies will try and overcompensate and cause them to feel starving emotionally, thus they feel the need and want for food now that it is available to them.
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

audrey always had disordered eating; it had to do with her traumatic sad childhood.

It's looks like a photo op because Saint Angelina always looks good no matter what picture is taken of her. Bitch.

I could never understand when people say she is fake for doing this because she stays in nice hotels. I could never donate the amount of money she does or afford all the traveling that goes with raising awareness to those less fortunate. Who am I to judge. At least she is doing something while a many a millioinaires won't part with their money to donate or help starving children.

Awfully, awfully, awfully staged. Disgusting.

Why can't she help the poor without getting her picture taken?

If I want to look at development workers, I prefer those who do this 24/7 and with all their heart. There are hundreds of thousands of unknown people on this planet who devote their life to this, many of them are not getting paid.

Oh, and they're are not wearing Armani while doing so.

every nite before i go to bed i have a fake conversation w/ angie or about angie and wat a saint she is

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well chilly I understand what you're saying but very few people will look at pics of people who do it 24/7. They breeze right through the begathon channels and give it nary a thought. The whole mess is very frustrating.

Alice you are insane. Insanely funny, that is.

Silver Member

Effie, I completely agree with you in everyway. Especially where you say people who can do something to help are doing it we don't need Angelina Jolie to show us these things. Ridiculous, I can see how these beautiful pics could convince someone naive that she is doing what is right but I simply don't buy it. Sure she can go help strange children in Africa but she can't even reconcile with her own father and allow her daughter to have a grandfather? Come on!

Well,my granny,wise woman,used to tell me.
    Water your garden first,and then the one next door..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Awfully, awfully, awfully staged. Disgusting.

Why can't she help the poor without getting her picture taken?

If I want to look at development workers, I prefer those who do this 24/7 and with all their heart. There are hundreds of thousands of unknown people on this planet who devote their life to this, many of them are not getting paid.

Oh, and they're are not wearing Armani while doing so.
    finally... i thought i was the only one here that was not impressed with these photos.
    of course it is good she gives a chunk of her money and time to these less fortunate... Still, it doesn't change my opinion about these photos...
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
    Oscar Wilde

Silver Member

I agree, it is great she does give to these people who truly need it. But all the pics and talk about it is so uncanny/staged/unnatural. Many, Many celebs give money to good causes but most of them are not constantly taking pictures of themselves doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Could never realige the WORK thing.
    Actual work is NOT what those ignorants are doing.
    TRaveling in style ,living in 5 stars hotels,snapping sad pictures and jet home satisfied,it is not work.
    Work is what people does living in the place,giving them selves and getting sick to help the refugees,not what those idiots are doing along with the corrupted political system.
    My kis WORK with the refugees and they know no Sunday rest for years.I find that attitude of UN insulting to my intelligence to say the least.THe pseudo humanitarianism of the likes of Miss Jolie ,can only anger me .Let me tell you,i find the Lohans and Britneys of this world A LOT more sincere.
    I agree with you so much. There's a brilliant line in Blood Diamond when Leonardo tells Jennifer Connelly something along the lines of "You Americans, thinking you can save Africa, come over here with your malaria medication and your tiny bottles of hand sanitizers and spend just enough time to realize you're not helping." Its so very true. Angelina has countless bodyguards, a private jet to use at her leisure, the UN to pick up her tab when she stays at luxurious 5 star hotels...the list goes on and on. There are true saints living in Africa, working among the people, who will never get their faces on the front page news, and the real beauty is, THEY DON'T WANT IT. Angelina will never realize the true nature of Africa, because she visits only where it is truly safe, and only where she can get the best photo opportunities. There are alot of people who want to "promote awareness" (I hate that phrase) but they will never get their hands dirty. I find these pics utterly distasteful and crude, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Well,my granny,wise woman,used to tell me.
    Water your garden first,and then the one next door..
    yeah your granny was pretty f-ing smart!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information