Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angelina Jolie in New York City (06/13/07)

MIWMIWMIWMIWMIWMIW

Default Angelina Jolie in New York City (06/13/07)

CCEU

Elite Member

im so sick of this skeletor

^Me too, me too.

here's the review from the book in her hand.

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. Valentino Achak Deng, real-life hero of this engrossing epic, was a refugee from the Sudanese civil war-the bloodbath before the current Darfur bloodbath-of the 1980s and 90s. In this fictionalized memoir, Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) makes him an icon of globalization. Separated from his family when Arab militia destroy his village, Valentino joins thousands of other "Lost Boys," beset by starvation, thirst and man-eating lions on their march to squalid refugee camps in Ethiopia and Kenya, where Valentino pieces together a new life. He eventually reaches America, but finds his quest for safety, community and fulfillment in many ways even more difficult there than in the camps: he recalls, for instance, being robbed, beaten and held captive in his Atlanta apartment. Eggers's limpid prose gives Valentino an unaffected, compelling voice and makes his narrative by turns harrowing, funny, bleak and lyrical. The result is a horrific account of the Sudanese tragedy, but also an emblematic saga of modernity-of the search for home and self in a world of unending upheaval.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    here's the review from the book in her hand.

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. Valentino Achak Deng, real-life hero of this engrossing epic, was a refugee from the Sudanese civil war-the bloodbath before the current Darfur bloodbath-of the 1980s and 90s. In this fictionalized memoir, Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) makes him an icon of globalization. Separated from his family when Arab militia destroy his village, Valentino joins thousands of other "Lost Boys," beset by starvation, thirst and man-eating lions on their march to squalid refugee camps in Ethiopia and Kenya, where Valentino pieces together a new life. He eventually reaches America, but finds his quest for safety, community and fulfillment in many ways even more difficult there than in the camps: he recalls, for instance, being robbed, beaten and held captive in his Atlanta apartment. Eggers's limpid prose gives Valentino an unaffected, compelling voice and makes his narrative by turns harrowing, funny, bleak and lyrical. The result is a horrific account of the Sudanese tragedy, but also an emblematic saga of modernity-of the search for home and self in a world of unending upheaval.

She's such a poseur.

Nobody ever wants to get caught and photographed with a trashy novel in their hands.

She looks too skinny, but still beautiful...
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Nobody ever wants to get caught and photographed with a trashy novel in their hands.
    I do!! It's better than the grocery bag with tampons and Immodium AD

Oh, her legs are so stickly thin.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I do!! It's better than the grocery bag with tampons and Immodium AD
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post

She's such a poseur.
    Yes, heaven forbid anybody should read anything that's not written by Jackie Collins. Paging the thought police...I'm glad she's reading that. I want to read it too, I have it on hold at the library. I guess that makes me a poseur, too. I SHOULD be reading Jackie or Danielle Steele like a good little airhead.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Yes, heaven forbid anybody should read anything that's not written by Jackie Collins. Paging the thought police...I'm glad she's reading that. I want to read it too, I have it on hold at the library. I guess that makes me a poseur, too. I SHOULD be reading Jackie or Danielle Steele like a good little airhead.
    I'm not an Angelina fan, but, like you PB, I have no idea how being caught with a book with some substance makes you a poseur. Color me confused
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

I don't get why her choice of book makes her a poseur. It sounds interesting. Enough so that I will be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
    I'm not an Angelina fan, but, like you PB, I have no idea how being caught with a book with some substance makes you a poseur. Color me confused
    I'm not a fan either. Surely her job with the UN requires that she be up to date on these issues, among others.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I also have that book on hold at the library. Love Dave Eggers. Local SF resident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information