Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucy Liu at "Freedom's Fury" Special Screening (11/17/2006)

MIWMIWMIWMIWMIWMIW

Default Lucy Liu at "Freedom's Fury" Special Screening (11/17/2006)

Elite Member

ugly here. she's cute, but def not here

she is an ugly asian woman. I don't undersand why people think she is pretty.There are hundreds of thousands of asian woman who are much better looking than her.

I usually think that she's beautiful - but not here.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by OoOitzCathyOoO View Post
    she is an ugly asian woman. I don't undersand why people think she is pretty.There are hundreds of thousands of asian woman who are much better looking than her.
    I totally agree. I think most people are not used to seeing good looking Asian women or that they don't know the Asian standard of beauty.

Lucy has a wonk eye...and she is fug.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I think most people are not used to seeing good looking Asian women or that they don't know the Asian standard of beauty.
    LOL. Can I just apply my own standard of beauty? I think she's pretty. I think many other Asian women are pretty. I think many non-Asian women are pretty. I don't think Lucy Liu is the most attractive Asian woman I've ever seen, I just think she's a pretty girl who happened to find success, and ever since she did, all I hear is how she doesn't fit the Asian standard of beauty.

I understand that people of different ethnicities and cultures will share some overarching preferences, but can we not all find beauty anywhere? I have no issue if someone doesn't find Lucy Liu attractive, but honestly, what is this Asian standard of beauty people keep harping on (ALL the time), and why should it be relevant? Is there no room to appreciate anything outside the mould in Asian beauty? You don't hear Caucasians going on about how so-and-so doesn't fit the "Caucasian" standard of beauty. I don't mean any offense to anyone, I just really don't get this - it seems so arbitrary and meaningless.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

It would prolly be like me saying Tori Spelling is gorgeous and most people would disagree. If you asked most Asians, they'd prolly say that Lucy isn't pretty. People can have different opinions of course, everyone has different taste. I just think Lucy is very over-rated appearance wise.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I still think she's really pretty. Plus, she got to be the love interest in a movie with Cillian Murphy. I'm jealous of her.

^^Glad to see I'm not the only one in love with Cillian

actually i don't find her that pretty, but in these pictures she looks gorgeous.

Why is it that whenever someone calls Lucy Lui beautiful, the old debate about the Asian standard of beauty comes up?

To me, she's very pretty, as a woman, not as an Asian. Why does it matter that there are better looking Asian women?

Apparently, I have my own standard of beauty, regardless of the Asian, African, or European beauty standard. Isn't that the way it should be?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Why is it that whenever someone calls Lucy Lui beautiful, the old debate about the Asian standard of beauty comes up?

To me, she's very pretty, as a woman, not as an Asian. Why does it matter that there are better looking Asian women?

Apparently, I have my own standard of beauty, regardless of the Asian, African, or European beauty standard. Isn't that the way it should be?
    But it does seem that her being an 'Asian beauty' was a big selling point for her early in her career - or am I crazy! There aren't many Asian women in American television shows (especially when she first showed up on Ally McBeal) so her ethnicity was part of her initial celebrity.

I agree beautiful is beautiful, but I think her ethnicity plays a part in these discussions because it was such a novelty on US tv at the time.

I don't know if any of that makes sense - I'm exhausted from yesterday and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet...

Quote Originally Posted by OoOitzCathyOoO View Post
    she is an ugly asian woman.
    I'm slightly taken aback by that. Its like saying 'ugly black woman' or ugly italian woman', or whatever. I know you just meant to say Lucy is not an attractive asian woman and you've seen prettier [so have I] but i got called out on here once for saying that Oprah Winfrey looked like a monkey, and other people took it to meant that I thought all black women looked like that. Like you said theres prettier Asians than Lucy, i was saying theres prettier dark women than Oprah.

Anyway, just had to comment on that.
    I think Lucy is one of those unusual beauties. I've never thought she was very attractive though, I dont like her far-apart eyes for a start. And I have seen stunning looking Asian women.

I think the monkey reference is a bit different in terms of racial historical context... From what I understand, during the time of slavery etc, black people were often called names like that so some may take that offensive. But you prolly didn't mean it to come out that way.

Its all my parents fault; they've always called Oprah a monkey, and I picked up on it from an early age, and never really applied it to all black women. My Dad would say Oprah was ugly then talk about Halle Berry as being stunningly beautiful, so he wasn't really racist, racist. In Australia some people refer to the Aborigines as 'Abbo's' and I didn't know that it was a racist and offensive term because I was around people who said it so much that I thought it was what you were supposed to refer to them as! oops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information