Thread: Rihanna filming her new video "We Ride" (08/02/2006)

Default Rihanna filming her new video "We Ride" (08/02/2006)

Not to start anything but, anyone else think it's weird that all the girls in the video are the same color. Even the black girls are light skinned/hispanic looking. The one darker skin girl I see in the club is in the shadows.

Silver Member

Default Re: Rihanna filming her new video "We Ride" (08/02/2006)

i could say the same thing about rap videos-the girls r all african-american. rarely do i see a white girl in a rap/black artist music video. dont start anything. this is business. she's trying to appeal to a young crowd of a certain ethnic background.

^^you're obviously never seen a P diddy video or to a smaller extent jay Z

She's really pretty, has a great body.

Elite Member

she looks good
    some of these outfits are really cute too

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    ^^you're obviously never seen a P diddy video or to a smaller extent jay Z
    rap artists use white women maybe 1% of the time. check out any african american rap artists video-most chicks r black/latino, sexxing it up making it worse for all us women. so im not shocked rhianna picked light skinned girls. anywayz, in black communities, light-skinned women are considered "better" than darker ones. take beyonce, lil kim, and most famous black women. compare their skin now and when they first came out. all of them have lightened themsleves up

Quote Originally Posted by wakeupinBOSTON View Post
    rap artists use white women maybe 1% of the time. check out any african american rap artists video-most chicks r black/latino, sexxing it up making it worse for all us women. so im not shocked rhianna picked light skinned girls. anywayz, in black communities, light-skinned women are considered "better" than darker ones. take beyonce, lil kim, and most famous black women. compare their skin now and when they first came out. all of them have lightened themsleves up

that's true but sad, there are so many beautiful dark skinned black ladies, and the entertainers only want to choose the lightest skinned ones. Even the "urban oriented" magazines, if you look at their cover models and models inside the mags, they are overwhelmingly light skinned.

She strikes me as someone priming themselves for an acting career, she just sort of has that air about her. (maybe she already is an actress too, I really don't know who she is...I'm so out of the loop!).
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

she's pretty !

Silver Member

I don't consider the two women in the red top and the one in the short jeans to be particulary "light skinned." Maybe because I am black, myself. I see variations of brown skin tones. Also, these girls are Caribbean. Rhianna is from Barbados and she mainly has Caribbean girls in her video, because that's where she's from. Some (not all) carribeans have admixture and aren't completely African.

I'm not trying to start anything as well. But wakeupinBOSTON, did you happen to think Rihanna didn't pick these girls based on their skin color? But if they could act in the video, or maybe are some of her closest friends? Also, from these few pics... How do you all know there aren't more dark skinned women throughout the video? Not everything is a skin color issue within the black community. There are music videos that proudly showcases dark-skinned women. Sean Paul, Chingy, Common, Neyo, Young Dro, Clipse, and tons of southern rap artists all feature brown to dark skinned women in their videos.

Also, about the famous black women trying to look lighter, I hope you are not generalizing every black female celebrity. But I'm sure there are few who lightens their skin. Beyonce does the opposite. She tans. Her and Alicia Keys. She has always been light-brown skinned, many times it's the lighting of the photos that makes people look darker or lighter than they really are. More often now, Beyonce and Alicia Keys tan to have a darker, bronzed complexion.

The whole light skinned/dark skinned issue is not a universally black thing, but it's even more prevalent among indian (Where in India, bleaching creams are the top selling products) and hispanic communities. This is mainly because we live in a eurocentric dominated society. White women have been placed placed for centuries as the ideal standard of beauty all around the world. Media, Television, billboards, magazines, and movies all support this idea. So why is it an issue that there aren't any white women in R&B/Hip Hop videos?

All of it has something to do with history and the media.

In African American culture, historically we were not a people with long silky hair until white slave masters raped our black slave mothers. Long hair, light skin and light eyes were idolized because not everyone possessed these physical traits, making them recessive genes of African Americans. Also, during slavery... lighter skinned children and even women were house Negroes versus field Negroes. Another reason light skin and long hair may have been idolized because at that time it meant a less physical demanding workload.

When it comes to the media, when selling products... The powers that be always question ethnicity as not being able to "sell" or "appeal" to the masses. This is how we ended up with a Eurocentric culture and not only that, this is why people in general lean more towards white or Caucasian similarities being more beautiful then different features of other ethnicities. (Dark skin, broad nose, kinky and curly hair) Black people have been conditioned and brainwashed for centuries to accept the white standard of beauty. True beauty is when a person truly accepts and loves themselves for who they are.

true....take india arie for instance more talented than ugly rihanna and beyonce..I can guarantee that if she was lighter and with a nice horseweave like beyonce that she would be just as famous as them. I do not see anything special about rihanna at all...she cannot sing..or dance..and honestly if their were more decent african american actresses/singers out there..that thing and beyonce would not EVEn be considered attractive.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Yeah, I agree, her sells have more to do with mass marketing pop culture's standard of glam. it's not really cultural, at all, I have heard "real" caribbean music before and hers is much more "McDonald's-sized"
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; August 18th, 2006 at 08:55 PM.

Thread Information