Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are your pets spayed/neutered?

Default Re: Are your pets spayed/neutered?

Moomies, have a look at this, it may make you feel better.

The Ten Worst Excuses Not To Spay Or Neuter Your Pet

Millions of healthy cats and dogs are killed every year in the United States because there are not enough homes for all of them. As printed in Ann Landers column, here are the 10 worst excuses to not spay or neuter your pet:

1. Just one litter and weíll have her spayed. (Virtually the entire pet overpopulation problem stems from the "just one litter" mentality.)

2. My dog doesnít run loose, so he doesnít need to be fixed. (Not fixing him increases the likelihood that he will try to escape and find a mate.)

3. We always find homes for all the kittens and puppies. (And that means an equal number of kittens and puppies at the pound will have to be killed.)

4. I want the children to witness the miracle of birth. (Rent a video.)

5. My dog is so cute and unique, there should be more of her. (Shelters are full of cute and unique dogs, most with only a few more days to live.)

6. Itís not natural. (There hasnít been anything "natural" about dogs since we began developing breeds thousands of years ago and having them live in our homes.)

7. I just couldnít look my dog in the eye if I had him castrated. (Dogs are not human and donít care if they are castrated. Donít make the mistake of applying human emotions to your pet.)

8. A female cat or dog should have one litter for health reasons. (Actually spaying or neutering early will prevent certain forms of cancer.)

9. Neutering my dog will make him fat and lazy. (Too much food and not enough exercise will make him fat and lazy.)

10. Fixing my pet will change his/her personality. (Yes, your pet will be more content to stay home and be a part of your family and neutered males are less aggressive.)

I've never questioned spaying or neutering my pets....my biggest controversy was whether to declaw my cats or not.

My MIL's boyfriend (loser loser loser) will NOT fix his rotweiler. The damn dog is scary, territorial, has frightening outbursts. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not a dog expert...but wouldn't he be better behaved if he were neutered? I won't take my kids to my MIL's house anymore, and that dog is most of the reason. Actually, the boyfriend is the main reason, the dog is 2nd.

Male dogs become significantly more docile and calm when they're fixed... some more than others, but it almost always makes a difference. I don't think I would ever own a male dog without having it neutered.

I have heard that dogs that are neutered later in life don't improve as much, though. I guess some of it becomes learned behavior, some of it is just personality.

All ten are spayed and neutered.
    Keep passing the open windows.

My furry kids are each spayed/neutered. Fortunately, each one came from rescue shelters that wouldn't adopt them out without it.

A*O

Are you picking up a theme here moomies
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

All my pets are fixed. My friend's Shitzuh(sp?) still has his nuggets and he sits on them like a cushion. I rarely see them on a dog and when I do,they look kinda gross to me.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

All of mine, including the bun bun, are spayed and neutered. I feel bad, though, we had our one cat neutered when he was about six months old and he still thinks he has his mojo.

Both my cats are spayed/neutered (I dunno what's the correct term for girls), because my mum - who takes care of them - live in an apartment, and they have become calmer and more pleasant to be around after the procedure.

In Norway you can't spay/neuter a dog if it's not a REALLY good reason to do it, and I think it's ridiculous- I think many dog owners would have it easier if they could do it at their own will.
    The law says: "In Norway it is prohibited to spay/neuter a dog, with exceptions of medical treatment"... Of course, some vets sets the threshold to be very low so that you can "fix" your dog without too much hassle, but it's not common practice.
    Mmm... Am I wrong, or did it just get fatter in here?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Wow that's interesting. Quite different from the way we think about pets here in North America.
    What is the basis for the law? is it to do with animal rights or something? Like the rights of animals to procreate?

p.s. spaying is for girls, neutering/castrating for boys.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

yes, of course all 9 of my kitties are spayed/neutered. It is in no way cruel and must be done!

[QUOTE=pacific breeze]For all those people who say, "I want my dog/cat to have offspring at least once so my kids can experience it," a trip to the pound should be mandatory to see all the unwanted former offspring whose future it is to be killed. Perhaps their children should have that experience as well.

amen and well said!

Silver Member

I have a boy cat who is neutered. My 2 girlie dogs are spayed.

My Dh has been snipped.

I am the only one who can reproduce!!!!!

Yikes!!!

I am vulnerable (but, only if I am raped, not likely!)

The animal shelters around here spay/neuter any animal that they receive, so when we adopted Potsie he was already neutered.

Opie was neutered a few weeks after I got him as a kitten.

Fonz wasnt neutered right away because I didnt have money when he was a kitten, but then he started spraying and became a big jerk so I got him the snip, and it was like, total 180 in behavior. He's still a jerk sometimes, but he stopped spraying and is generally a sweetheart

I used to think it was cruel as well. I had my cat, Ninners for 5 years before I had her spayed. She wound up developing an infection of her uterus and kidneys and almost died. Then I got her spayed. She is so healthy now. Especially for females, if you are not going to allow them to reproduce, it is dangerous for them not to be spayed...I believe it now.
    So you hate your job? There's a support group for that....It's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

Silver Member

No....but then again how do you neuter/spay a snake?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information