Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Are you in Omaha and missing a sheep dressed in a Christmas sweater/jumper?

Bah Ram Ewe! Bah Ram Ewe!
    Proud to say that Babe was my son's first full-length movie in a theatre.
    azoria and JazzyGirl like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

babe is one of the best kids' movies ever, it's up there with goonies and e.t.
    KrisNine and JazzyGirl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^I can't wait for Em to watch those. Right now, she loves Milo and Otis.

azoria, thanks for the info. One of the people I met around here told me to start small. Make sure to have adequate housing for the alpaca's. I guess they are brought in at night around here due to the coyotes? Funny, they also mentioned finding a good shearer. Apparently, it's an art and there aren't a ton of people that do it correctly.

The alpaca's are adorable.

For the alpaca lovers. This photo came up on reddit today.

Here's the thread, except the cute pet is not a llama,
    Bolivian girl showing us her pet llama : aww
    palta and KrisNine like this.

I just had to know if the sweater sheep's people found him...

OMAHA, Neb. A sheep wearing a festive red-and-green sweater who was found wandering around Omaha has been reunited with his owner.
    Owner Margaret Vazquez tells KMTV she initially panicked when the sheep named Gage went missing. She says the sheep "follows me everywhere."
    Nebraska Humane Society spokeswoman Pam Wiese says the sheep was reclaimed Tuesday evening. The Humane Society was caring for Gage after he was found Sunday evening in an Omaha neighborhood.
    Gage shares a shed with two chickens, when he isn't in his owner's house. Gage is used to walking on a leash and doesn't seem to mind that the holiday apparel he donned appears to have been designed for a dog.
    Vazquez says it was the first time Gage has escaped and now will spend more time indoors.

Information from: KMTV-TV, KMTV - Omaha's Source for Local News, Sports, and Weather - www.kmtv.com
    Read more here: Owner reclaims sheep wearing holiday sweater | CharlotteObserver.com

azoria, faithanne, palta and 5 others like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I can't believe she offered no explanation for the ugly Christmas sweater. Inquiring minds want to know.
    sputnik and KrisNine like this.

^^I know! I mean, a sheep wearing a sweater?? I'm glad Gage found his way home.

whenever I hear about lost sheep now, I just think of this guy:

Tasmanian farmers find Shaun the world's wooliest sheep | Daily Mail Online
    sprynkles, palta, azoria and 1 others like this.

I just love that they named him Shawn
    sprynkles likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Shoulda named him Shorn.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Shaun. My daughter loves Shaun. Truth be told, so do I
    Sassiness likes this.

Shaun has the most intimidating fleece I have ever witnessed. That is one helluva sheep. At least 5 clippers-worth.

As I mentioned before I raised 'natural colored sheep' which can be many breeds. I one time bought a Karakul sheep, native to the Caucuses/Turkey/etc, as he looked so interesting- shaggy and crazy. Boy was he ever. They are known as a 'haired' sheep and not wooly. The tightly curled lambskins are often made into these hats like this:

Anyway, so I bought this exotic Karakul ram and trucked him home. He proceeded to terrorize every animal on the property, broke out of the fence daily, and knocked down anyone who came near him. I learned the hard way that Karakuls are not terribly domesticated animals and impossible to keep in.

After about a year of putting up with this ram Mr. Azoria and I determined he did not belong, we took the critter to a relative's thousand+ acre ranch in wilds of central Texas where we hoped he'd be happier, and let him go. We opened up the back of the truck and that was just about the last anybody saw of him.

Over the years he was sighted on far away ridges several times running with some wild goats, but he never returned to the ranch where we let him out, not ever not for anything. Perhaps he is still out there somewhere yet, wild and free.

@Gossiprockers - while I'm on the subject let me advise you against ever getting any karakul sheep. IMHO these really cannot be considered 'domesticated' animals. Wild thangs.

Mrs P likes this.

i thought the thread title said are you missing Obama dressed in a sweater.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    We raised sheep for years - I adore them. But we got into it in sort of a backdoor way....

We bought a rough, unkempt, weed covered ranchette. Mr. Azoria couldn't mow enough to keep the mess under control. So one day I bought a sheep to munch it down.

But after not long she looked so lonely out there all by herself and she was not enough sheep to eat that many weeds. So I bought her a mate to keep her company. And thusly we were soon in the sheep business.

There were two large problems:

*What to do with more sheep than we needed, and -
    *Shearing sheep

Sheep shearing is an art and takes practice and experience and a very dangerous razor which will shred the animals to bits if improperly done. Professional sheep shearers are in very short supply and diminishing, as the sheep raising industry in this country continues to decrease. A good shearer is priceless and very hard to find. Every year this became a larger and larger problem.

What to do with the adorable lambs? When I couldn't bear to sell them, I kept them. Oh my.
    When I did sell them there was always the risk of the new owner not caring for them properly or worse yet, eating them. So I kept them.

Within 10 years we had sheep galore. (just like twitchy's picture) Except I raised natural colored sheep and ditched most of the Suffolk/Merino types.

After some trial and error I stocked mostly natural colored sheep as they were so unbearably cute, and had short stout little legs which were sturdier than leggier breeds. I loved them dearly.

Natural Colored Wool
    Growers Association

Natural Colored Wool Growers Association
    You forgot that the only aim in a sheeps life is to die as quickly as possible. Multiple times.

I like that breed though!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    azoria, that sounds wonderful. I would love to do something like that.

Truth be told, we are looking to move and toying around with the idea of buying a small farm/ranch where I can raise alpaca's. It's a total dream for me.
    Alpaca's what? Watch out for the spit.
    I like alpacas too, they're even cuter than sheep. We used to have a neighboring ranch that raised llamas and alpacas. I wanted some.

But if you do get such a place and decide to keep animals there are a couple of things you should know.

1. Fence building. Fences to keep your animals in and other animals out. The fences need constant work and maintenance. And your livestock has got all day to find/create weaknesses in the fence so they can escape. They will. Plan on spending every Saturday patching the fencing.

2. Predators. Primarily dogs and coyotes. Very hard to keep out of your pasture and they will destroy the livestock.

3. Animal husbandry. Broken legs, various illnesses, vaccinations, hauling feed, delivering babies.

4. You will need a pickup truck.

Raising animals is a lot of work. We've culled the herd down to a single cat now. And he got hit by a car about six years ago and cost me $5,000 to save him. Animals are expensive.
    5. You never get a day off, because the animals are animals 24/7.

We have a showjumping cow, no matter how good the fence, she'll just lollop over it.....
    Shaun has the most intimidating fleece I have ever witnessed. That is one helluva sheep. At least 5 clippers-worth.

As I mentioned before I raised 'natural colored sheep' which can be many breeds. I one time bought a Karakul sheep, native to the Caucuses/Turkey/etc, as he looked so interesting- shaggy and crazy. Boy was he ever. They are known as a 'haired' sheep and not wooly. The tightly curled lambskins are often made into these hats like this:

We're not mentioning that astrakhan comes from fetal or newborns, not adults?
    azoria likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information