Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Wonderful people rescue dog from a mountain. Jerk who abandoned her, wants her back.

I read the whole thread that started all of this over on 14ers.com. It was so dramatic!! Sad, suspenseful, then a happy ending(or so everyone thought), then a big twist at the end with the story being "To be Continued".

The previous owner had some balls to post on that thread multiple times, but other than that, he's a douchebag.
    He was extremely apologetic & thankful to the rescuers and anyone else who was posting. He repeated over & over how if he knew she was alive, he would of went back for her. He figured after a few days, she would of been dead. So he moved on. But since she was given a second chance, he wants a second chance as well. THEN he said a few times that he will make sure to only take her on hikes that she can handle.

He kept saying over & over again that it was the hardest thing to do to leave her, and no one knows what he went through and he learned his lesson and just wants his best friend back.
    But he wasn't grasping the idea that people weren't angry at him for leaving her there to save himself and friend, they were & are pissed because he NEVER went back!! He NEVER put up flyers or anything! He made a few phone calls and that was it.
    When asked over & over WHY he didn't go back, his friend jumped in to say that he had really bad blisters and was very depressed because he figured the dog was most likely dead after a few days.

This is the time when I wish there was a "Punch poster in the junk" Button.
    What a LAZY, IGNORANT, fucking ASSHAT!

She was alive when he left her. WHY would he not go back to at least give her food & water & a blanket or something everyday until she was well enough to walk down?? Why didn't he have those little boots for dogs to save her paws? I could go on & on about the things he DID NOT do, but it upsets me.....

OH, and one of the rescuers posted how they got her out of there. This poor dog was ABANDONED there for about 8 DAYS. She was in rough shape, or so they thought.....They put doggie boots(I don't know the real name) on her, and carried her in the backpack for the 1st half+. She started squirming in the bag after a few hours, so they took her out so she could stretch her legs.
    She ended up WALKING down the hill the rest of the way on her own. AFTER 8 DAYS!!

So if he or a friend went back for her even the next day or day after, and took it slow, he could of gotten her down.

I hope he doesn't get her back. I understand that is her home, but he left her. Also, there is parts in his story that contradicted itself. When he got her, who his companion was, etc.....Each of his posts, and the posts of his friends that were trying to defend him & beg for/demand the dog back were always a tiny bit different than the previous.
    I don't know.....but it was weird.

This guy left his dog for dead, and went on with life believing she was. That's how things should remain.
    He should be happy to know she survived, and he didn't end up getting her killed a slow, painful, lonely death & leave it at that.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Elite Member

I'm one who takes my dog just about everywhere I go, and that means sometimes we just don't go places if I think it's not a good situation for her. Granted, I live on the east coast and the terrain is a lot friendlier to dog feet than a 14er out west would be. I didn't have a dog when I lived in CO, but I do know that when you're up on the mountain on a summer afternoon, you have to have a plan to GTFO when (not if) a thunderstorm rolls in and if that plan doesn't include your pet, you shouldn't bring them along.

One of the posts in that thread on the 14er board was supposedly from the dude's boss saying he had to go out of town for work and it couldn't be avoided. I'm not saying I'd quit my job over a pet, but I'd have at least tried to find a fucking way to keep looking or have someone help me with it. I cannot comprehend a scenario where I'd just say fuck it and move on with my life without doing everything in my power to take care of my dog.
    gardenwitch likes this.

That dog is precious, I am sure she would be much happier with the couple who saved her. Dogs do bond with people over things like this.

Bronze Member

Missy would have never left her friend behind. May that sucky, sick bitch of an "owner" realize his short-comings for the rest of his days.
    He doesnt deserve a friend like Missy, no matter how much he wants her or how she would forgive him, he doesnt deserve her.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This is another thing that really gets me - as gardenwitch mentioned Missy wanted to get out of the carrier and was fitted with protective doggy boots and was able to walk the rest of the way herself. WHY OH WHY didn't her fucktard owner have a set for her? If you google "protective dog boots" you can see that they are not only readily available but also reasonably inexpensive and reusable. It seems like common sense to me to have a set for your dog if you regularly take them hiking with you, but then again someone with common sense wouldn't have carried on as soon as the terrain was more than the dog could handle and BEFORE they were injured.

I don't have a dog but my partner and I regularly 'dognap' his mother's pooch and take her out for the day. We NEVER leave unless we have her water bottle/bowl combi, poop bags, pet wipes etc etc and we NEVER take her anywhere that we think she might run into forseeable difficulties.
    Kat Scorp and gardenwitch like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Colorado Hiker Who Abandoned Injured Dog Relinquishes Custody - Yahoo!

Colorado Hiker Who Abandoned Injured Dog Relinquishes Custody
    By CHRISTINA NG and ANNIE ROSE RAMOS | Good Morning America 9 hours ago

Colorado Hiker Who Abandoned Injured Dog Relinquishes Custody (ABC News)
    The Colorado climber criticized for abandoning his injured dog on a mountain has agreed to give up custody of the dog to one of its rescuers.
    Anthony Ortolani, 29, originally said he wanted custody of his dog Missy when she was rescued by a team of hikers after surviving eight days on the mountain. Since then, Ortolani has received intense criticism and even death threats over his decision.
    He was charged with animal cruelty and is relinquishing custody as part of a plea bargain, according to ABC News' Denver affiliate KMGH. The plea bargain will allow him to plead guilty to the lesser offense of a county ordinance.
    Ortolani was climbing on Mount Bierstadt with his 5-year-old German shepherd and Rottweiler mix on Aug. 5 when he said a storm moved in and he became worried for his safety and for the safety of his friend. Missy's feet were cut up from walking on jagged rocks and she could no longer walk.
    Ortolani said that he and his 19-year-old friend tried to carry the 112-pound dog for more than two hours on the treacherous terrain before making the difficult decision to abandon the dog in order to save themselves.
    When they reached the bottom, Ortolani said he had a friend call the sheriff's office, but deputies said they couldn't send a rescue crew for a dog.
    "Having trained, professional, well-equipped people saying it's too risky to go up there to get a dog out of there, I couldn't see the responsibility or how it would make sense for me to get untrained, unequipped, not professional people to go risk their lives to get the dog," Ortolani said at a news conference on Sunday.
    Ortolani conceded that he did not put a sign up on a bulletin board asking to be contacted if anyone saw his dog, KMGH reported.
    On Aug. 11, Scott and Amanda Washburn were hiking in the area spotted the dying dog tucked into a nook between rocks. The dog was too weak, injured and heavy to be carried down so the couple used a first aid kit to patch up as many wounds as possible before going back down the mountain for help.
    The couple started an online campaign to rescue Missy, creating a Facebook page and pleading for help on a hikers' online forum called 14ers.
    Reactions and volunteers began to pour in, as well as an overwhelming amount of posts from the online community infuriated by the apparent abandonment of the dog for dead on the cold cliffs.
    The couple got a group of eight volunteers to go back to the mountain a few days later and the group traveled through a severe snowstorm to reach Missy. Nine hours later, they successfully brought the dog down in an oversized hiking backpack.
    "I just don't think that his actions have shown that he is a responsible dog owner," Scott Washburn said. "We understand that he had to leave her there. My wife and I did the same thing. But we ended up going back for her, and we went to some pretty extreme lengths to do so. In my opinion, that is not a responsible dog owner, who doesn't really care about her."
    Missy will soon have a new home with one of her rescuers.

Yay!!!

Karma's a bitch, Bozo. Yay for Missy; she has people who REALLY care.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I could have never left my dog to die by himself in pain , i would probably risk my life trying to get to where ever my dog was to save him - I will say I have a Morkie and he is too lazy to go up a mountain

This guys needs to be left on a mountain to die slowly and alone

fgg

so glad that the dog was rescued but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    ^this person will haunt my dreams.
    MmeVertigina and Banshee like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    so glad that the dog was rescued but...

^this person will haunt my dreams.

right?

The fact that he allowed the dog to get injured in the first place indicates that he is not a suitable person to own a dog.
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information