Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Wonderful people rescue dog from a mountain. Jerk who abandoned her, wants her back.

I don't understand why the rescue team is only reserved for humans. Surely, bringing this dog down would have made for a wonderful training exercise?
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Are you kidding? Colorado's budget is severely stretched already with saving humans, there is no way to pay for rescuing animals. We are freaking broke. Do you know that last year they took sports out of school except for high school because of budget? There's no way we could afford to pay for animal rescues too.

Colorado's constitution mandates no budget overruns, so its always rob Peter to pay Paul here.
    DeadDwarf likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Are you kidding? Colorado's budget is severely stretched already with saving humans, there is no way to pay for rescuing animals. We are freaking broke. Do you know that last year they took sports out of school except for high school because of budget? There's no way we could afford to pay for animal rescues too.

Colorado's constitution mandates no budget overruns, so its always rob Peter to pay Paul here.
    I was about to say that the resources they have are probably stretched to breaking point. I don't know if Colorado operates in the same way as a lot of UK mountain search and rescue units, but they are often heavily reliant on volunteers to be able to function.

Having said that, there was nothing to stop the owner making the same sort of appeal that the Washburns did and going back for Missy like that.
    greysfang likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

No fuckwad, you don't get your dog back.
    Banshee, Kat Scorp, BBDSP and 1 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

The good people who rescued her should be her new owners, the original owner had plenty of time to go back for her and didn't, that was just wrong to leave her there to die.

Damn I really hope they find a way to charge this asshole with animal cruelty because the way I see it, legally it's still his dog.

OBVIOUSLY he doesn't deserve to be an animal owner, but according to the law, an animal is property so I could see him getting her back otherwise, which would really SUCK.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

if something like hiking might become dangerous even to humans why the fuck take a pet there? i would not take any dog in that kind of place.

and when my cat disappeared i kept waking up every hour for two weeks, searching everywhere for him, i went through the near forests a lot of times, i would have hiked anywhere just to get him back. even if id known he was dead and where his body would have been i would have gotten his remains back and buried my child. at least i think that when you get a pet you become a parent to him or her, if you need to give them up you gotta make sure the new home is good.

fuck him for not going back. fucking twatfucker dog murdering psycho idiot. i never understood these fucking fuckfuckers that get a pet and then treat them like a second class citizen. fucking skin him alive motherfucker and leave him to die on a mountain because he is too heavy and its gonna rain soon fucking fucktart.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Great news in this update!! I hope they do charge him and the dog can stay with the people who rescued her.

ABC News Blogs
    Man faces animal cruelty charge after abandoning dog on mountain
    By Annie Rose Ramos | ABC News Blogs 23 hours ago

Man Faces Animal Cruelty Charge After Abandoning Dog on Colorado Mountain (ABC News)

A 29-year-old man is expected to face a charge of animal cruelty after he abandoned his dog on a Colorado mountain, the Clear Creek Sheriff's Office officials said Friday.

Anthony Joseph Ortolani told The Denver Channel earlier that he was forced to leave his German shepherd named Missy on the snow-capped peaks of Mount Bierstadt Aug. 5, when a storm moved in and he became worried for the safety of a younger hiker who was with him.

He said his dog's feet were cut up from walking on sharp rocks and it could no longer walk.

ABC News' previous efforts to reach Ortolani were unsuccessful.

Scott Washburn and his wife, Amanda, found Missy Aug. 11, while they were on a leisurely hike up Mount Bierstadt.

"We were hiking to this ridge and we got off course and I was a little ahead of my wife," he said. "She called out to me and said, 'Hey I found a dog,' and figured I misheard her 'cause there was no way a dog was where we were."

Washburn and his wife were incredulous at how this dog, tucked into a tiny nook between rocks, could have ended up where it was. The whimpering dog was, as Washburn said, "in awful shape." He was convinced it would have died if left without food or water for much longer. The couple tried to coax the dog up out of the rocks and down the mountain but it was clear the dog was too injured and weak to move.

"We knew we weren't going to be able to get her out by herself," said Washburn. "Her paws were completely raw and her elbows were torn up."

Washburn got together a group of eight volunteers and the group headed back up the mountain that Monday morning. The group found the dog with all of its wounds Washburn had tried to bandage reopened. The rocks around the dog were covered in blood, and the dog was back cowering beneath the surrounding rocks.

The group of eight hikers traveled through a full-blown snowstorm that broke out during their hike. Eventually, after a nine-hour rescue mission, the group successfully managed to bring back the broken and bruised dog in a hiker's oversized backpack.

Upon their return, the hikers entrusted the dog to a local vet, who told Washburn that it was "the miracle dog of the century, and although she was severely dehydrated she has, miraculously, no long-term or permanent damage."

"I just don't think that his actions have shown that he is a responsible dog owner," Washburn said. "We understand that he had to leave her there. My wife and I did the same thing. But we ended up going back for her, and we went to some pretty extreme lengths to do so. In my opinion, that is not a responsible dog owner, who doesn't really care about her."

Washburn and his wife, as well as other members of the rescue team, would now like to adopt Missy, Washburn said. But Ortolani is asking for his dog back.

Clear Creek County Sheriff's Sgt. Rick Safe said "the dog was basically abandoned up there."

"He [Ortolani] made no initial attempt. After three days, he thought the dog was deceased so he made no attempts to reclaim the dog," Page said.

The sheriff's department also has a rescue team, and other hikers told them about Missy being stranded on Mount Bierstadt during the weekend. However, the rescue team was unable to respond because it is solely reserved for human rescues.

"We can't specifically send a rescue effort for a dog," Safe said. "We have a designated rescue team. In the last two weeks we have had six rescues, one a day on the weekends, for people. It is tough terrain out there."
    Man faces animal cruelty charge after abandoning dog on mountain | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
    Kat Scorp and roslyntaberfan like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    , once the authorities (who, IMO, are total assholes for not finding a way to help) refused, he just did not bother. He DOES NOT love or deserve that dog.
    to be fair , the authorities have their hands full rescuing people that get in over their heads in the mountains, and there was a rescue organization that provided support to the volunteers if not an actual rescue team. Its not that they don't want to help animals, but as a matter of policy they can't if they want to have enough resources to help people.

That said, fuck that guy for not going back to look for his dog. And fuck him for putting her in that situation to begin with.

^^That's why I wrote "finding a way to help", such as doing it off-duty or alerting a bunch of hobby climbers, which is what the people who rescued her did.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Most of us would have screamed for help and appealed to every radio/tv station out there. Not stayed at home and checked Craigslist! Idiot.
    Kat Scorp likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    First of all, what kind of fucking IDIOT would take a German Shepherd up a 14er? They are not mountain dogs. If you do a 14er you will see people with Bernese or Pyrenees or other type of breeds that can handle the conditions and terrain, that doesn't mean you can take any type of dog up there. Would you have tried to take a Maltese? This man suffers from chronic fucking stupidity and should not have a dog, let alone this dog that he left to die without even asking a ranger to help.
    That was exactly the point I was thinking when I read this. Why take the dog in the first place.
    Free Charmed.

People are idiots. This moron was responsible for this poor girl. To leave her to die and never go back is insane. Her rescuers saw her, tended to her and went to get a crew and came back to rescue her. I hope he never has another dog again and I hope Missy stays with the people who rescued her. That's her real family now.

People that hike and take their dogs, not considering the conditions, are assholes. It's been baking balls out here for weeks and people go hiking in the foothills, which are even more hot and dry. They take their dogs and don't don't bring water for them. The dogs overheat easier than the humans, especially hiking for miles, being covered in fur and not having any water. A lab died on the trail last week, all because the owner had no clue or common sense.

Kris, it's not that hot here & even for a 15-30 min walk I take water for my dog.

I cannot believe that this guy could see that his dog was in difficulties when she started to cut her feet & didn't take her back then. To wait until she got so bad that she couldn't walk... No words!
    Free Charmed.

I agree with you all. This prick doesn't deserve the honor of being a dog owner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information