Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Woman Killed By Her Own Bull Mastiff

well maybe because they only had him a week and he was new in the home, the dog thought she was an intruder.

I foster dogs, sometimes up to 6 at a time (I have 3 myself) and I won't take in the huge dogs because there's just something inside me that thinks something might go wrong and someone in my family might get hurt. Unless you know the completely background of a dog, you just never know it's temperament and what they're apt to do. I foster the smaller breeds because I was bit in the face by a larger breed.

A friend of my son's has a Rottweiler/Great Dane mix who is (I kid you not) 180lbs. The head alone is MASSIVE. When he barks, you can feel the vibrations in the floor boards and in the windows of the house. He's about 3 years old now and when I last saw him, he was in his crate with the door locked. The owners say he's a gentle giant, which I'm sure he is to them, but when anyone went near his crate, geez... it was scary. I would never take that dog into my house, regardless of what the owners say. You can just never trust what is going though their head and when the dog outweighs you, you know it's going to be serious if it decides to attack...or what they just may consider play.

^That's terrifying. I can't imagine having a dog so large and powerful that you wouldn't stand a chance if it decided to attack.

A*O

I don't care what their defenders say, these dogs originally bred to fight, defend, guard, etc still have that latent aggression buried deep in their DNA and it can show itself at any time. Some of them, eg pit bulls, are physically designed to have powerful jaws that lock on and don't let go...... They are absolutely inappropriate as family pets, especially with young children around. How many horror stories do we hear about dogs that suddenly go berserk for no apparent reason, rip a babies face off and the bewildered owner then bleats "he's normally so docile, he's never done anything like this before, blah, blah". Duh.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I was wondering if there was some hostility/territory-thing going on between the Mastiff and the Pit Bull and the woman got in the middle. It's so sad. Animal control took all 3 dogs, though. Even the Boxer.
    Maybe the "hostility"- if there was any- was between the Mastiff and the Boxer?? Poor pitties

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Pit bulls scare the hell out of me (bull terriers too). I saw a pit bull attack some border collie mutt and the pit bulls owner kept punching his dog in the rubs but the pitt still wouldn't let go until someone got a leash around the pit's neck and choked off it's throat until it "released". Because, of course, the bogan owner had one of those spikey collars on his pit bull, so people couldn't use normal method of pulling an attack dog off:

I have 2 English Bull Terriers- they're excellent people/family dogs. Their issue is they generally don't like other dogs. My female is very docile and I've seen her lose her mind with dogs coming past our fence. My male has a bit of a cranky edge to him and will once in a blue snap at my female. Training, training, training. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I don't care what their defenders say, these dogs originally bred to fight, defend, guard, etc still have that latent aggression buried deep in their DNA and it can show itself at any time. Some of them, eg pit bulls, are physically designed to have powerful jaws that lock on and don't let go...... They are absolutely inappropriate as family pets, especially with young children around. How many horror stories do we hear about dogs that suddenly go berserk for no apparent reason, rip a babies face off and the bewildered owner then bleats "he's normally so docile, he's never done anything like this before, blah, blah". Duh.
    People need to be mindful that dogs are animals and their children need to be taught how to properly interact with any animal, not just bully breed dogs. Even the most docile dog will only take so much shit from an annoying kid.

Notice that house cats are never in the news for killing or maiming people *says the cat-lover wondering off, whistling*

Cats win!
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

No, they just feast on your corpse after you've fallen and can't get up.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

that is an awful story. any dog attack story, especially of a woman, reminds me of dianne whipple's attack.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    yep. off the top of my head i can think of three different people who swore their pit bulls were gentle giants who wouldn't hurt a soul. two of them attacked cats and another lunged and nipped at a cousin's kid...the kid, i witnessed, and it was completely unprovoked; he just got up suddenly and the dog went for him. and, none of those people had their animals put down. i admittedly am not a dog person anyway, but regardless, that scares me. i am well-aware that people think i'm misinformed and possibly ignorant, but idgaf. i won't have my kid around bully breed type dogs, because i just don't trust them. you can't "train" out all of those inborn tendencies towards aggression.

and, of course, any dog has the ability to attack. a beagle? i can pry off my kid. a pit bull? nope. those jaws are insanely powerful.
    Ravenna likes this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Notice that house cats are never in the news for killing or maiming people *says the cat-lover wondering off, whistling*

Cats win!

Although I agree, they do make the news, just very rarely:

Black cat suffocates baby and attacks mother (1909)

It's tragic but worth a read for the horrid writing on that news story... Also, it probably wasn't the cat.

Sleeping cat suffocates baby (2000)

note that as per Snopes, pathologists who examined the child put this theory to rest and said that the death was due to SIDS

Family cat may have suffocated baby or baby died cause of respiratory infection (2011)

In short, if a baby dies, let's blame the nearest cat. Booo!!!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I foster dogs, sometimes up to 6 at a time (I have 3 myself) and I won't take in the huge dogs because there's just something inside me that thinks something might go wrong and someone in my family might get hurt. Unless you know the completely background of a dog, you just never know it's temperament and what they're apt to do. I foster the smaller breeds because I was bit in the face by a larger breed.
    I also foster dogs and I agree with you. I NEVER fully trust a very large dog I haven't hand raised myself.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    that is an awful story. any dog attack story, especially of a woman, reminds me of dianne whipple's attack.

yep. off the top of my head i can think of three different people who swore their pit bulls were gentle giants who wouldn't hurt a soul. two of them attacked cats and another lunged and nipped at a cousin's kid...the kid, i witnessed, and it was completely unprovoked; he just got up suddenly and the dog went for him. and, none of those people had their animals put down.
    That's insane. If your dog behaves aggressively out of no where, put it down. That's rule number one. Oh people can scream all they want that "it's the owner, not the dog" but owners don't train their dogs. Yes, dogs bare the consequences. That's life.

I've met too many Pitt/Rottie/Power Lab owners who do fuck-all to train their dogs, in fact, they create insane dogs by tying them up most the time. Then one sunny Saturday, they decide to walk them...through school yards and public parks...without a bit of training. Sure, the Shih-zu owners might have wild dogs too, but how much damage can a lap dog do, on average?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post

Cats win!
    LOL! Unless of course, it's one of those idiots who have a tiger as a pet.

We know now it was SIDS but along time ago, people really believed that a house cat would "steal a baby's breath" while it slept. The cat probably gets in the crib with the child because it senses something is wrong.
    Kat Scorp and laynes like this.

Bronze Member

I knew a girl whose cat she had for many years attacked her right out of the blue.

At the time she said as fast as she could pry the cat off her it would come after her again,
    scratching and biting.

Unusual, sometimes you just never know.
    They were never able to find any medical reason for the cats behavior.
    Last edited by Valhalla; November 20th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

I know two people attacked by their own cats. Both required medical attention, one required some stitches.

Little dogs bite just as often as big dogs, but of course, they usually do much less damage. The meanest dog I ever owned was a Shih-tzu. He was evil. Super cute, but evil.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it all depends on the genetic make up of a dog and the way it was raised.

Fostering as many dogs as I have, I can tell you that little dogs can seem harmless, but will attack without provocation. When you don't know what it's been through; whether abused or inbred, sometimes they just "snap".

As I said in an earlier post, i only foster smaller dogs, but I've had a dachshund latch onto my hand and give me two gashes that required stitches. One time when I was laying on my bed, a chihuahua bit into my face, didn't want to let go, giving me two gashes and a couple stitches. Both these dogs were normal dogs that you would never think would harm a person in anyway. They just snapped. Thankfully, being on the smaller side, I could get them to let go (I have to admit, the dachshund was a bit more difficult to get off my hand, and a bit of a surprise since I own 3 dachshunds myself and never have they ever shown any sort of aggression).

I did have a smaller black pitbull here for a while (Living in Ontario, we're not allowed to keep/own pitties but we can rescue, foster and rehabilitate them) and have to admit was a little leery of having her here. But when she was dropped off to me, she was malnourished, had obviously just had babies, and was dumped off at the side of a highway. The poor girl broke my heart. But, I have to say while caring for her, she was one of the sweetest, smartest dogs I've ever come across. She was adopted out to someone in B.C and is now a therapy dog and visits the elderly in long term facilities.
    laynes and Seapharris7 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information