Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 20 family pets

Bronze Member

Don't ever get sheep, they just spend their time trying to discover new and ingenious ways to die.

^^ im curious, care to explain??

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    ^^^Mine never bit....not once. I trained them from when they were 9 weeks old. Plenty of ferrets don't bite.
    well i sure thats true... your ferrets sound heaps cute! but i don't think the ones i met were treated very well hence the biting. It drew a little blood as well but like all animals it comes down to upbringing so i suppose its not really the ferrets fault that his owner didnt teach them any different. Unfortunatley it made me a little wary of all ferrets.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Mine (I had 2) had different personalities. The boy had an obsession with anything related to cigarrettes: packs of ciggies (opened/never opened/a whole unopened carton and lighters. I used to save all my empty packs and keep a bag full. I'd call that the 'babysitter'. I'd shut them in a room and throw cigg packs allover the place and he would get every single one and drag them under the bed in a pile. He took lighters and lined them up under the bed up against the wall in a perfect formation. I've got photos of him stealing a pack out of my husband's shirt pocket while he napped on the couch. He would kiss me on the lips by licking me and wouldn't do that to anybody else.

My little girl was 1 1/2 lbs and she was the dominant one. I saw her drag a 10 lb bowling ball (in a carrier bag) by her teeth because it was blocking the door. She used to flip my 15 lb cat over by grabbing his neck. They loved to play with the cats.

God, they were cute. I miss them even though they destroyed a lot of carpet by digging under the door trying to get out. I just put paper in all the corners of the room because that's where they pottied when they were loose.
    That is sooo adorable! Do they cuddle? I've always wanted a ferret, but my fiance is allergic to animal hair, so I guess I can't get one.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^Depends on the personality. One of mine was very active/hyper and the other was sort of a big lug who liked to lie around in between play activities. Regarding the hair, one of mine had cancer and was bald for a few years, lol. She looked like a little miniature dinosaur, all bony and skinny. She still kicked ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    Don't ever get sheep, they just spend their time trying to discover new and ingenious ways to die.
    we had a sheep when i was a kid and she never got sick. she was great. very nice and gentle.

we had dogs and cats too. a bird. and, briefly, fish and mice (the fish died after a few days and the cat got into the mouse cage and there was mucho carnage).

i always wanted a hamster and ferrets and a llama. if i ever win the lottery, i'm buying a country house and getting goats, sheep, ducks and a donkey.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ We have ducks that camp out at our office during the spring and summer. Every time I walk outside or pull up I have to stop and wait for them to pass by. They are so cute.

^^^
    i love ducks!
    (tasty, too )
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I disagree with snakes being on this list. I don't think they make good "family" pets at all. I could see an adult snake enthusiast having one, but I don't think it's a good idea for children.

Besides the fact that they're not affectionate and they have very specific dietary and environmental needs, I wouldn't trust one in my home. I've heard too many stories of pet snakes getting loose and attacking or killing their owners. I realize this wouldn't be a problem with a smaller snake or a non venomous one, but I'd still be nervous. One of my childhood friends had a pet snake that escaped from its cage and was "missing" in his family's home for several days. That's one of the most terrifying things I can imagine.

I'd also be uncomfortable with my children playing at the home of another child who had a pet snake if they were taking the snake out of its cage or handling it.

We have Saki, but Blix and Munch also caught three anoles (lizards) and Blix set up a terrarium for them in the office.

We've been misting the cage so they have 'rain water' to drink and feeding them crickets and meal worms from the pet store.

Thusly Blix and I have lizard TV while we're online; its almost like cat TV, only kinkier. We have one male anole and two females and the male is thusly ALWAYS in the mood. Anoles aren't terribly smart or considerate, however, and one of the chick anoles sometimes totally spoils the male getting his groove on. They will climb on top of him while he is with the other chick and go to sleep with their ass on his head. Then the other female will get ticked off, leave and the male will either go get a snack, do the chick sitting on his head, or say, 'To hell with it,' and go to sleep as well.

Kind of reminds me of an episode of Rock of Love.

We've named them Brett, Daisy and Ambre, just for giggles.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I have 2 chinese hamsters who I never see, apart from when I clean them out. They usually wake up at about 2am and I can hear them trundling around on their wheel, noisy little buggars!

I also have a gerbil who's 5 years old and still going strong, we discovered him cold and almost lifeless in his cage when he was about a year old and wrapped him up until he came around. Since then he just refuses to die.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

[quote=southernbelle;1170734]I disagree with snakes being on this list. I don't think they make good "family" pets at all. I could see an adult snake enthusiast having one, but I don't think it's a good idea for children.

Besides the fact that they're not affectionate and they have very specific dietary and environmental needs, I wouldn't trust one in my home. I've heard too many stories of pet snakes getting loose and attacking or killing their owners. I realize this wouldn't be a problem with a smaller snake or a non venomous one, but I'd still be nervous.
    I'd also be uncomfortable with my children playing at the home of another child who had a pet snake if they were taking the snake out of its cage or handling it
    One of my childhood friends had a pet snake that escaped from its cage and was "missing" in his family's home for several days. That's one of the most terrifying things I can imagine.

You know, there are very, very few snakes that would pose any kind of physical threat to a child of any size. Garter snakes, corn snakes, etc are small and thin and not one bit dangerous. People with snake phobia just cannot be rational about snakes. Some people insist that all snakes are poisonous (as ignorant as it is).The snake would actually be in more danger of getting accidentally hurt if it got loose. Salmonella is a risk with any reptile, just wash your hands after handling. Hell, I kiss my snake. He would never give me any kind of disease,lol!!! People have been more brainwashed against snakes than anything else in the world. Fucking Bible.

I got bit by a garter snake, fucker left me bleeding
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Sleuth;1167445]^^ im curious, care to explain?? QUOTE]

I'm not sure why but it's the consensus of opinion from our local sheep farmers. Anyway I can heartily recommend horses and donkeys if anyone is looking to keep outdoor pets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information