Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions: Parents getting new dog!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post

Shelters and rescue groups = good
    Breeders and puppy mills = BAD
    No,Manx. Even the ASPCA recommends good breeders. They pointed out most of decent breeders devote their whole life to developing excellent dogs,bred for temperment. They do not allow just anyone to purchase one of their dogs and have a standing agreement: if for any reason you have to give up their dog,no matter how old, it must be returned to them. To even put a devoted breeder in the same sentence with "puppy mill" is very unfair. Their dogs are loved and cherished-only allowed to breed if they carry the best genes. Puppy mills don't care. They don't even name their dogs. A person who decides to let Fluffy have a litter and puts an ad in the paper is NOT a certified breeder. Pet stores-never. Real breeder-4 star.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Good KC, or AC breeders aren't bad

Well, it's just my opinion but I think it's immoral to be breeding more dogs when hundreds of thousands of perfectly wonderful, adoptable dogs in shelters are put to death every year for lack of a home. When you buy from a breeder, that's one more dog whose life you could have saved but didn't. Harsh, but the truth.

^oh my god manx, is that the "Cat found" poster with the pic of the opposum, lol, that one's awesome!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    ^oh my god manx, is that the "Cat found" poster with the pic of the opposum, lol, that one's awesome!
    Heh, yeah....I wish it could be seen better. I laughed my ass off at that. We have one or more possums come up on our porch a lot to eat our outdoor cat's food so it kind of is like another cat to us. Had one in my house once in the middle of the night. Found him sitting in my shower. I love them! But not in the house at 3 a.m.

^Blarg, not in the house at all, they look like giant rats! Found a dead one at a friends farm once. Did you know they are one of the oldest living animals? They were one of the first ones roaming around, I think there were still some dinos left then...
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    PUGS baby!!!

Though, would be hard to find at a Shelter. Mixed breed or Mutt would probably be their best bet for good tempermant, though Pugs are super cool and usually laid back when they are a bit older.
    Sojitodd could rescue one like Panda (another poster) did.
    There's a pug rescue org where I live but the cost of rescue is actually almost as much as getting a puppy off the classified in the newspaper, just a little less. I talked to this lady that told me that she adopted 7 of her pugs from the rescue, I looked into it and you have to donate something like $500 but the pup comes all neurtered/spayed, vet checked etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    -Don't get a puggle. Pugs are sedentary (tend to get fat) but beagles are NUTS, esp around food.

After working at a shelter for a few years, I found that English Bulldogs are good for the elderly, as they can't walk much, due to their legs. They're gentle and relatively quiet.

-Toy Poodles yap a lot, and are very intelligent (though the smaller ones are less so) Toy Poodles get into everything and have a tendency to snap or nip when they don't get their way. Go for a standard (large_ Poodle if you want the best of this breed, intelligent, calm, non shedding and quiet.
    English Bulldogs get pretty heavy, so I don't know if an elderly would be able to lift one up and give it a bath in the sink. Pug is a good choice except for their shedding.

I've never liked poodles, I don't hear good things about their temperament?

Other suggestions and personal fave breeds of mine

Shih Tzu

Peke

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yes adopt!

or a pugle!? Jake Gylenhaal has one!!! beagle/pug mix

I would vote for a rescued mini dachsund or a mix, only downside to the one I have is they bark like fools, but it seems most little dogs do.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Pugs rule! I adopted a rescue from a shelter and she is healthy, potty trained, and the sweetest little doll! She hardly ever barks, wants to be loved and petted all the time and is my little shadow. I am so in love with her. I found her through "petfinders" online and adopted through "Kanine Kids." they rescue small dog breeds here in GA. the cost of the adoption was related to the age and health of the dog. I paid $300 for my girl, but she was only one year old and a pure Pug who is healthy. I lucked out, big time. 75 people applied to adopt her! Pugs are popular because they are really great dogs. They really do require lots of love and attention. I waited until I was only working part-time to adopt, so I could give her lots of attention. I"m sorry to ramble, I love to talk about my Petunia (Tunie).

Panda I love your pug

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Panda I love your pug
    aw, thanks, honey. she is a special little girl. I've lost my mind over her!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    A smooth coat miniature Dachshund! They love everyone, they don’t shed, and they love to cuddle.
    Awww, I agree. They're such sweet dogs.

If your parents go to the shelter and look, they'll probably find "their" baby straight off, tho. Usually your dog finds you.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Instead of talking about breeds why don't you go to your local kennel? There are hundreds of dogs, and the staff there will be able to help you to find the perfect pet for your family. Each dog from the kennel has his/her experience and his/her own temperment. Definitely. Now, that is having a wide choice and doing a responsible thing at the same time.

Honestly, don't adopt a dog by his/her look. The breed is not an infallible method to determine a dog's temperment especially if you say you're looking for a specific attitude. Instead, get to know him/her, spend some time with him/her if you can. Please DO NOT BUY HIM/HER. This is my advice.
    Last edited by waikiki; April 9th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Stop dissin' Poodles!!! They (from decent breeders) have great temperaments-they are cheerful,witty and totally owner family oriented. They love to do anything you want. And no-my little one is never yappy. Nor my big standard,either. They are the closet thing to cat-dogs-quiet and clean. I love the way my male standard greets me-he rushes up and bows his head, pressing against my knees for a pat. My baby female snuggles up under the cover when I sleep & stays in her basket by my desk when I am on the computer. If someone comes to the door,my biggie sounds like a battle-ready pit bull & makes sure I am safe.The only drawback is grooming-have to take them in ever 6 weeks or so & it is expensive. I know they look foo-foo compared to other dogs,but they don't know it! Like my sister says-other dogs just think they belong to a stange religious sect.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information