Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small birds/Pets are NOT disposable

I am so glad it worked out for the best. I feel better now -- I just wish there were more shelters like that, and more responsible people like you out there.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Since Elmo is a small-medium breed he's been quite ok with small condos we've lived in, the smallest we lived in was 500 sqf. I could never give him up because we had to move but I think it's also easier for smaller breeds to live in limited space. I've moved plenty of times (7 times in the last 10 yrs mostly due to the condo owner deciding to sell the suite rather than to rent it out cuz the real estate market here has skyrocketed) and we've always found a place that allowed dogs, it's hard to find and can be either a shithole or very expensive high-end place but there are pet friendly buildings. Some petstores (e.g. Bosley's, Vancouver on Davie St.) carry a list of apartments and condos that allow cats, dogs and other critters. I would even move overseas with Elmo if I had to, I've actually looked into airlines and their policies on boarding dogs cuz I once wanted to bring Elmo to Japan with me.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    That doesnt really sound fair to me...I mean, I've taken my dog to the pound because I was moving and didnt think it would be right to him to keep him...I was moving from a big house with a yard in the suburbs to tiny little apartment in the city, and I thought it would be worse for him to be stuck in a little one bedroom apartment for the 8-10 hours I was working every day than it would be for him to just be adopted by another family who could actually take care of him in a way he deserved.

Dont be so quick to judge peoples "excuses" It broke my heart to have to give my dog away, but I thought it was really in his best interest.
    Haggard, I've read your other posts on GR's and you seem like a great person. I am not tryng to bash you. I am sure there are legitimate "I am moving" excuses to not take your dog, but it is just too common of an excuse NOT BY YOU, BY LOTS OF PEOPLE.

I am glad your dog found a home, many animals are not so fortunate. I love a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Since Elmo is a small-medium breed he's been quite ok with small condos we've lived in, the smallest we lived in was 500 sqf. I could never give him up because we had to move but I think it's also easier for smaller breeds to live in limited space. I've moved plenty of times (7 times in the last 10 yrs mostly due to the condo owner deciding to sell the suite rather than to rent it out cuz the real estate market here has skyrocketed) and we've always found a place that allowed dogs, it's hard to find and can be either a shithole or very expensive high-end place but there are pet friendly buildings. Some petstores (e.g. Bosley's, Vancouver on Davie St.) carry a list of apartments and condos that allow cats, dogs and other critters. I would even move overseas with Elmo if I had to, I've actually looked into airlines and their policies on boarding dogs cuz I once wanted to bring Elmo to Japan with me.
    If my dog had been a smaller dog, I probably would have been able to keep him dispite the move. My apartment allows cats and dogs under 30lbs...but my dog was a lab/shepherd sort of mix, so he was a big beast of a dog. I think the last time I took him to the vet he weighed in at 94lbs. So keeping a large size dog in an apartment thats barely 600 sq ft alone for 8-10 hours a day just didnt seem fair to him.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

ROFLMAO! That's a small parrot for you, Alice. You should see my Gitta search through a box of cereal looking for the nuts and fruits as she stands in it and tosses cereal everywhere.

Now I have to scare up the photo of her eating our ice cream and not taking no for an answer.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ You go girl!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information