Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Small birds/Pets are NOT disposable

  1. #16
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    One of my cats is a stray that someoen just dropped off here. We live in a cul de sac sort of neighborhood at the edge of town and for a long time people used to drive up to the end of the road and drop off their stray cats. I'd be in the kitchen, hear a scratching at the back door and it would be a new stray. I've placed dozens of cats in homes that just showed up one day. Right now we have a pure white cat with the silkest fur, just showed up at the door like the rest. She's very sweet, constantly begging for affection and petting, fixed and I've advertised her in the paper off and on for nearly a year and no one wants her. I don't understand how anyone could have dumped her because she is just so loving. People make me sick.

    Oh, and Ice Queen, Petsmart and Pet Co do kill off their sick birds instead of treating them. I know this for a fact as a bird rescue person. Several of those parakeets came from one of those stores.

  2. #17
    Gold Member IceQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    969

    Default

    I disagree UG... Petco does not kill off their animals instead of treating them and I think it is slanderous to say so. If you think that your local store is - then kindly point out to their corporate office that they are not following policy. There are a few sick cases in California I believe, but those have been called into light and obviously not following Petco's policy. You can check out Petco's policy online here since you probably don't have access to their handbooks. I don't know if you have even worked for either of those stores, but I'm telling you first hand that Petco takes the animals to the damn vet. The vet our Petco takes them to is 10 miles away and is open 24 hours. Petco employees have to bring their small animals there and they have to keep records of what animal is getting what treatment while they are in the sickroom.

    Anyway - Petco will pay for the vet bills to make an animal better, even it exceeds what the animal will sell for. So a sick guinea pig that costs $100 in vet bill and sells for only $20.00 will still receive the $100.00 care.


    And yes KD - Petco does work with the animal shelters. Here our Petco doesn't bring any animals over from the shelter and keep them in cages - however every quarter they have shelter employees bring over a bunch of animals for about 3 days for people. Petsmart does keep the shelter animals on hand at all times.

    Now if you want to talk about the pound having to kill of animals - than that's another story.

    I have no idea how the other petstores are run because I don't frequent any that sell full breed animals. I cannot see spending $500.00 on a cat where there are tons of cats in the shelter.

    Having volunteered at the shelter numerous times, and rescuing 3 cats myself, what I have a problem with is those 'collectors' who say they are in it for the rescue business. I went to see a women who had 20 cats. Most of these were not up for adoption even though she claims that she is rescuing the animals - not hording them.

  3. #18
    KD
    KD is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post

    And yes KD - Petco does work with the animal shelters. Here our Petco doesn't bring any animals over from the shelter and keep them in cages - however every quarter they have shelter employees bring over a bunch of animals for about 3 days for people. Petsmart does keep the shelter animals on hand at all times.
    This is what our local one does. They don't keep dogs/cats there, but they have adoption "drives" so to speak for pound animals. I just do not understand why people don't get their animals fixed.

  4. #19
    Gold Member IceQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    This is what our local one does. They don't keep dogs/cats there, but they have adoption "drives" so to speak for pound animals. I just do not understand why people don't get their animals fixed.
    Amen...


    My inlaws have a mean ferral cat about 4 years old that they've had since it was a kitten. It is still not spayed. It pisses me off to no extent.

    My mother works at the shelter and she trapped her neighbor's cat (who also kept their unspayed cat out) and she brought it down to get spayed.
    In 1 cat's lifetime - if it is not spayed and let out to its own devices here is what can happen:
    Spay or Neuter Your Pets!
    Consider These Facts, Then Choose a Low-Cost Option Below!
    One (1) female cat and her offspring can produce
    420,000 cats in seven (7) years.

    One female dog and her offspring can produce
    67,000 dogs in six (6) years.


    http://www.healthypetcorner.com/petspay.html

    The sad part is so many of these animals come through the shelter and they have to be put down. There are too many and the shelter doesn't have room for them.

  5. #20
    KD
    KD is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    I'm sure you know this interesting stat. Large, black dogs are the last to be adopted.

  6. #21
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    it's bad to waste food like that!

    [
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #22
    Gold Member IceQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    I'm sure you know this interesting stat. Large, black dogs are the last to be adopted.
    I wonder why that is? They seem pretty cute. I know with labs people who look at them tend to prefer the yellow instead of black. I don't know why though.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Most people i know absolutely love black labs
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  9. #24
    KD
    KD is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    Same here, black labs in my neck of the woods are a popular breed. Just big, black dogs in general are the last to be adopted from the pound.

  10. #25
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    I don't work at Petco but have had a relative that did that used to bring me all the sick little birds. That is how I know it does happen here locally. Policy or no, not every store follows corporate rules.

    Telling the truth is never slander.

  11. #26
    Gold Member IceQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Most people i know absolutely love black labs
    Oh good - have them come down here, because for some reason black labs sit in the pound longer!

    I'm not familar with other large black dogs. We have a couple of rotties at the shelter, but the majority seem to be black labs. A few of my friends have Rotweilers and Dobermans - but they've always been such babies, and not nearly as scary as I was led to believe by tv!

  12. #27
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    it's bad to waste food like that!

    [
    Did you know that the name "Budgie" for little parakeets is actually a shortened version of the original name bestowed on those birds by the Australian Aborigines? It was Abo for "tastes good" because they would eat budgies that had been speared on a stick and roasted over an open fire. Supposedly a delicacy.

  13. #28
    Gold Member haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the city
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    My favorite reason for not keeping a pet is "we are moving and can't take." Where in the FUCK are you moving to, Jupiter?
    That doesnt really sound fair to me...I mean, I've taken my dog to the pound because I was moving and didnt think it would be right to him to keep him...I was moving from a big house with a yard in the suburbs to tiny little apartment in the city, and I thought it would be worse for him to be stuck in a little one bedroom apartment for the 8-10 hours I was working every day than it would be for him to just be adopted by another family who could actually take care of him in a way he deserved.

    Dont be so quick to judge peoples "excuses" It broke my heart to have to give my dog away, but I thought it was really in his best interest.

  14. #29
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Well, there are no guarantees that he would be adopted. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but the reality is that he was probably euthanized, not to mention terrified and depressed by being in a strange place away from you before that happened.

    It would probably have been kinder to either find him a good home yourself, or to take him with you. He loved you, not where you lived, and he would have adjusted to the less desirable conditions. Animals live a long time if cared for properly and the reality is that most people don't think about that when they take one on. That's why pounds are overflowing.

    My advice to people would be to think very carefully about getting a pet, what kind of pet you get, and why you want a pet. If you are not stable, know you are going to be moving around, and don't think you'll have time for one, then don't get one.They are your responsibiity, living beings with emotions of their own, and deserve to be treated as part of your family.

    I've lived in less than great places simply because I had pets and refused to give them up. It was worth it to me. And I told my husband before we married that my pets were part of the package, that they were non-negotiable. Fortunately, he agreed with me.

  15. #30
    Gold Member haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the city
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Actually oregon has a lot of no kill shelters, and I brought him there....and I asked them if they could keep up with me, and they called me when he was adopted...the shelter I took him to has a 70% adoption rate for dogs, compared to a 30% national average...and as long as an animal is healthy and not some sort of threat to society, they'll keep them until they get adopted.

    And sometimes moving isnt really something you plan...if staying where I was was an option, I definitely would have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Birds And Bees Bay Be Gay
    By ralphycnan in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
  2. Does Anyone Here Have Pet Birds?
    By Kikkit in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: June 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
  5. Early man was hunted by birds
    By Grimmlok in forum News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •