Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing to their graves -- the abused dogs of the Alaskan Iditarod

I don't think it is possible to get used to being starved and made to run for days on end without rest in sub-zero temps. I think you should read the links before commenting. These dogs literally run their feet into bloody stumps and 86% develop gastric ulcers from the stress of running non-stop. How is that getting used to harsh conditions?

How is being outside constantly in temps well below -40 normal for any dog? They're not polar bears, they are dogs. Even huskies aren't invincible.

My statements were based on observations of shows and stuff, not because I believe the dogs aren't being abused. I think it's a stupid "sport," so please don't think I'm trying to justify their suffering.

The average person like myself who knows nothing about these dogs outside of what they see and read in the occasional news blurb or show about dog races and whatnot, are led to believe that these dogs are "used" to these conditions. We don't know about the physical damage and suffering in terms of how the owners are treating them, because dog racing is not something we follow closely. With these kinds of articles it is an eye opener for us.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    My statements were based on observations of shows and stuff, not because I believe the dogs aren't being abused. I think it's a stupid "sport," so please don't think I'm trying to justify their suffering.
    I agree that it's a stupid sport. But then I think most competitive sports that involve animals are stupid. No doubt the dogs are highly conditioned. It the human element that pushes them beyond their capacity in order to win. I wish there were more spotlight articles on all these animal/human competitive sports.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    The average person like myself who knows nothing about these dogs outside of what they see and read in the occasional news blurb or show about dog races and whatnot, are led to believe that these dogs are "used" to these conditions. We don't know about the physical damage and suffering in terms of how the owners are treating them, because dog racing is not something we follow closely. With these kinds of articles it is an eye opener for us.
    i think most people don't know about this stuff but luckily people are learning and slowly, hopefully things will improve for the animals...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information