Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting a cat to sleep

My advice:

They can do a blood test to check for kidney function to determine if the cat can go under anesthesia. If it's ok, they can go under. This vet doesn't sound like he's offering a clear plan of action--you're just overwhelmed.

You can give lactulose to a diabetic cat to stimulate bowel function. It's a cheap, delicious syrup you can get from the vet. Feed canned food if possible, both for the diabetes and to assist in elimination.

Start the insulin now, if that's what you decide. She might turn around very quickly. Female cats seem to be easier to regulate, from what I've seen. Giving the shots is no big deal after the first couple of times. It becomes totally routine and they don't even run away, especially if you give her some turkey as a treat after the shot.

Good luck on what you decide.

Elite Member

Is canned food then different from say a wet pouch? I'm definitely getting a second opinion now. Moomies suggested holistic treatment and I found a doctor a couple hours away here in Ma, but on his site he says he does long distance work. Maybe take her there once, asap, and then do the long distance thing afterwards. It's worth a try. If anything, I always have the syringe to go back to, and hopefully the tumor won't grow too much. If anything, I'll have a means of giving her some holistic meds to ease her transition.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I look at the ingredients and other info when I buy dog food and it usually lists things like the moisture level and fat content etc, usually in percentage. So maybe you can compare canned food and pouch food when you are at the store. I'd think pouch food has more water content though.

Good luck to you and your kitty. Wishing good health.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I know this from personal experience, having had several cats live to be 20 and more.
    I would love to know what you are doing different than the rest of us. I have had several cats myself, help take care of my mother's cats and my grandparents cats, a total of 30 or so more cats in my lifetime and we have never had a cat live past 17. Wow. That is truely amazing that you have had cats that live 20+. That's mighty rare.

I think the pouch food tends to have a higher carbohyrdate content than some of the other canned foods, which isn't good for a diabetic. If you want a list of foods with lower carb counts, you can get it on the diabetes web site. Fancy Feast makes some good low-carb varieties.

Get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable with this vet. You need to find one you can work with--someone who can provide you with a clear and logical plan of action. A holistic vet may help you see the whole picture easier because they tend to be calmer people. He may also be able to steer you to a regular vet that you can work with easier.

Good luck.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Well, my 2 cents. I beleive euthanasia is a wonderful option to end the life of an animal (or person for that matter) who is suffering and cannot be cured or have their illness successfully managed with medication. However, many people have sustained the lives of beloved pets through daily medication regimens. Animals will adjust to the routine, it's like they know you are helping them. I kept 2 ferrets alive for years with daily meds after they had adrenal cancer. They felt great right up until the very last 2 days, then I had them put to sleep. I have 3 friends with diabetic cats and they do the same with insulin shots. Their cats are loving and active. It can be done and is preferable to putting them to sleep, imo. One of my kitties was very ill with urianry tract blockage and it cost $1,200 in vet bills (credit cards bills, ha!) and hospitalization to get him stable. Now he is great with his special diet food and powdered meds mixed in. I even had to give him sub-cutaneous fluids daily for a month with this big assed needle, but he even got used to that!

Elite Member

^^that's exactly what she has-a UTI and diabetes. It's great to know it's manageable, and I want to, but im also concerned about the tumor. What if we get her stabilized, and in the meantime the tumor spreads and can't be taken out?

For all you guys, I have an update. So I have antibitoics for her UTI-which she doesnt eat so i will hold her and my dad will force her to swallow them, and some vaseline-like thing for her constipation. PaintheTown was right-they totally overwhelmed me. they should have said: here are the problems and what you need to do is A, B, C. So all your wishes of good luck are gonna be needed now! Thanx everyone!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I don't know if this works with cats but when I have to give Elmo some pills like anti-biotics, I wrap it in cheese and he doesn't notice a thing He thinks he's getting a treat (except when I don't wrap it well, he spits it out). Try it, it might be easier than forcing your cat to swallow the meds.

Glad to hear things are working out better for your kittie.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Pill crushers are wonderfull things....crush the pill and mix it up in tuna or cottage cheese.

Gold Member

If your cat is a little punk like mine, she may eat everything in the dish EXCEPT for the pill pieces. Here are some suggestions to help you give a cat a pill if you have to:

Approach the kitty at pill time with a high voice telling her she's a good cat.
    If your cat is a squirmer, try wrapping her body in a towel tightly with only her head popping out. It'll prevent your cat from scratching you especially with her back feet. Take your thumb and middle finger and gently open her mouth by the corners(no teeth there). Throw the pill toward the back of her mouth and gently hold her mouth closed for a few seconds with her head pointed to the ceiling. Then gently press on her throat to make her swallow.

The whole time talk to her in a happy voice and tell her she's a good girl so she won't be afraid and will be less likely to fight you. If she can sense that your mad or frustrated she'll try to get away. It also helps when your done to give her a treat or to give her the pill before she eats her meals in addition to lots of pats. She'll think she's getting a reward.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do it pretty fast. It's just awkward and a little frustrating in the beginning. Good luck.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Elite Member

^^We have the same cats. She will eat all around the pill, and if its crushed, she wont touch her food! With the other pills she held it in her mouth, then left and dropped it in her food bowl! She's too smart. I want a stupid cat! With these antibitoics, even though they are liver flavor, she hates them. she chewed it for a sec, then spit it out!
    The way you described is exactly how i give it to her. I hold her and someone opens her mouth to toss it way back. I will def give her a peice of turkey afterwards. She scratches, but she is afraid to scratch anyone except me, so if there's someone else, she wont touch them. She'll spit it out a couple times too. She'll turn her head, and try to wriggle away. I'll def try to be calmer and we always pet her. Good tips, glad to know I'm doing it right. I have no idea what to do about the Diabetes now. I wanna take her to a homeopathic vet because syringe is very daunting and blood tests, its painful for her and me. But, while we wait, I might as well do what I can. I also bought her fancy feast canned food as many suggested, without wheat gluten, but she doesnt seem to want it. Maybe the UTI is still bothering her. We;ll see...maybe if she gets really hungry she'll eat it. I just spotted a mouse so I am about to go to class and hope she makes mamma proud and kills it! Thanks everyone. I guess I may have jumped to a conclusion too fast. EVen if we end up putting her to sleep, all your tips have made her feel better right now, which is so important.

If you chase the pill with water, they'll be tricked into swallowing it before they can spit it out. You can get a 3 cc plastic syringe from the vet's office. Fill it 1/2 full with water, throw the pill in the back of the throat, squirt the water in, and they'll swallow. Usually.

I've never known a cat to eat those flavored pills. They seem to hate those more than the plain ones.

Have you tried pill pockets? they are a treat with a hole in the middle, you slip the pill inside it and the cat doesn't even realize it got one. My cat is 21, and not in bad shape at all. She has hyperthyroid and is on medicine for that. Cats live a lot longer these days. Many cats that go to our vet have diabetes. It's not that huge a deal. I volunteer at the SF SPCA so have a lot of knowledge of cats. They can safely be put under anesthesia until at least 17 years of age. Gingivitis can be cured too.

I'm not trying to give you advice, it's your own personal decision on what you want to do with your cat. Sometimes there are vets who will accept less for their services. Sometimes there are people who will help you with her care.

Don't let her suffer. I know you love her and you won't. Whether that means taking care of her problems or putting her to sleep, only you can decide that.

Good lord, if I did all this pill stuff with one of my cats, I'd require an ambulance and a skin graft.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Lil

^^Which reminds me of this old thing:

How to Give a Cat a Pill

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

4. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

5. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

6. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

7. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

8. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

9. Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

10. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

11. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

12. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

13. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

14. Arrange for vet to make a housecall.

How to Give a Dog a Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information