Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting a cat to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    ^^thank you pacific breeze-my comment was directed more at Cloud, not at you. Thank for your advice and sympathy-I'm always surprised at how nice and caring total strangers can be.
    Ugh, on re-reading it does sound like I was accusing you of neglect - that wasn't my intention. I guess, I kind of feel about pets the same way I do about kids ... that if you aren't going to take care of them you probably shouldn't have them. Not judging at all though, I had pets in college that I didn't take good care of - but I loved them terribly. I guess my perspective on things has changed as I've gotten older. No harm intended, sorry to come off so snotty! Truly, this has to be a horrible decision to have to make and as others have said, you are the only one who can decide what's best.

Elite Member

Cloud, thank you. I always give her love. It's not like I don't feed her or play with her or try to take care of her as best I can. I guess I just thought since I can't see any signs-she must be fine. which is why I didn't take her to the vet. As I said before, I made a mistake. I am a huge animal lover and I think I dunno, maybe I was too young? Maybe I didn't see signs so figured everything was ok? I honestly didn't know-but it was never intentional. I agree whole heartedly that people shouldn't take in pets if they can't take care of them. I did the best I could. I already yelled at my parents today for not knowing to take her to the vet lol! After all, I was 7 when we got her and then moved away for a while. Thanks again!

Cloud, thank you. I always give her love. It's not like I don't feed her or play with her or try to take care of her as best I can. I guess I just thought since I can't see any signs-she must be fine. which is why I didn't take her to the vet. As I said before, I made a mistake. I am a huge animal lover and I think I dunno, maybe I was too young? Maybe I didn't see signs so figured everything was ok? I honestly didn't know-but it was never intentional. I agree whole heartedly that people shouldn't take in pets if they can't take care of them. I did the best I could. I already yelled at my parents today for not knowing to take her to the vet lol! After all, I was 7 when we got her and then moved away for a while. Thanks again!
    You know, my mom never took our pets to the vet - I wonder if it's a generational thing? I was never raised thinking pets needed medical help, until they needed put to sleep - pets were disposable for our family I guess. So, I know where you're coming from. I feel terrible for some of the mistakes I made with my kitty in college .

Did the doc give you any idea what the cost of the treatment would be? Like PB said, some are MAJOR rip-offs. We've been lucky in our area to find a farm vet that charges very little to see our kitty - and the service is unbelievable...

Hi SunShine. I'm so sorry to read about your beloved Sheba. Making the decision to put her to sleep is never easy and I think it's brave of you to want to spare her any pain.

Three weeks ago I put one of my dogs to sleep. She was just seven years old and had suddenly gotten sick (there were never any signs to pick up on) and before the week was over there was nothing left for the veterinarians to do. She'd had a blood transfusion, tons of blood work, x-rays, ultrasounds, you name it. The thing is, it was her time. I was told she may survive but had a slim chance. She needed more blood transfusions and I was told she would be on medications for the rest of her life if miraculously, she did survive. I was so overwhelmed with grief and all I could think about was that her life was in my hands. I sat quietly and knew that really, her life was in the hands of a higher power, I just had to make the decision when it was time to say goodby. I decided to put her to sleep right then and there.

I know you love your cat. Please don't doubt your decision to have her put to sleep. She's had 15 wonderful years with you and you've given her a quality life. I think humans are so used to knowing that if they pay a doctor, or a vet, then people and animals will get better. But the way I see it, suffering isn't a way of life. Simply being alive is not living. I know Sheba knows you are doing the best for her. She's not going to be mad at you. I hated to see my baby go but I really hated the thought of her struggling with daily life. It's because you love her so much that you have so much pain. Be proud that you can feel that much love for her!

Each time I've put a pet to sleep it has felt like the end of the world. The pain of losing your best friend can be unbearable. However, knowing their pain is finally over will eventually bring you peace.

I think many people put lots of money into trying to save their pets simply because they are not ready to deal with the reality that their pet is gravely ill. While it may seem like this is about the money, perhaps it isn't. At some point, you and Sheba would cross this path and even if you had unlimited funds, in your heart you would know that maybe it's time to let her go.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you know your baby better than anyone else in this world. She trusts you and loves you and you love her. There is no wrong decision here. Be strong. Follow your heart-it will bring both of you peace. It is not your fault Sheba developed diabetes. Cats get sick and are needed back it kitty heaven. You've been a great kitty mom. Know that one day you'll see her again. My prayers are with you.
    Last edited by provence; December 17th, 2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I rambled too much.

Provence, your post has made me cry. You are helping SunShine23, JamieElizabeth, and others of us who have had to live through this. You are an
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Gold Member

You have other alternatives, just leave the cat alone and see what happens. Or get a 2nd opinion and let them know about your financial situation upfront. Vets are not always right especially about cats, so don't accept everything they say as gospel. One thing you said that the Vet said, your 15 year old cat has gingivitis. Well duh,that's not abnormal for a cat that age and I wonder why a vet would even bring that up.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    You have other alternatives, just leave the cat alone and see what happens. Or get a 2nd opinion and let them know about your financial situation upfront. Vets are not always right especially about cats, so don't accept everything they say as gospel. One thing you said that the Vet said, your 15 year old cat has gingivitis. Well duh,that's not abnormal for a cat that age and I wonder why a vet would even bring that up.
    She said her cat also has severe diabetes. You can't just leave that alone, that needs to be treated.

Provence, you made me teary, too.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Gold Member

She said she didn't want to treat her cat and wanted to put her to sleep instead. I think if that's the case she should drag it out as long as possible and not rush putting her pet to sleep unless it's on death's door. Her cat could live for months or even for another year or so. Just putting the cat to sleep immediately isn't necessery. Personally, I would treat the cat, I gave heart medication to my cat every 12 hours for 8 years, sometimes it was hard but overall it wasn't that bad.

I just can't stand it when Vets overwhelm people, who genuinely love their pets, with all this info which leads them into putting their pets down. Vets should try to meet pet owners halfway and come up with a plan that is good for the pet and good for the owners.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well, you have a point ^^ but the kitty has had 15 good years and if Sunshine isn't in a position financially or time-wise to do what's necessary then maybe it's for the best. I already PM'd Sunshine when she first posted this thread so she already knows my thoughts.

Today my housemate had to put down her doggie, and it was so sad. She had developed liver disease and was going downhill fast. The vet came to the house and said a little prayer before putting her to sleep. My housemate was a real trooper and though it's very sad, it's for the best. I miss the little cutie but she's in a better place. I think Sunshine will know when the time is right to let her go - or not. Nice words from everyone, esp. provence.

Elite Member

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, she has gingivitis, but she is old. Also, she has a mammary tumor. The vet said getting the tumor out is ok, but she scared we with the diabetes. I think I'd have to treat the diabetes first before she could endure anesthesia. If it takes a year for example, to get her glucose normal, the mammary tumor may spread by then and it would be too late anywayz. My concern is-she is not going to the bathroom often. Does anyone know how to get her to go off the top of their heads. If it were just the tumor, that'd be a different story. PaintheTownRed-you're right, the vet totally freaked me out. I dunno, how much do cats suffer, twice a day, syringe? for gd knows how long. I have no idea what to do. EVer since she came back from the vet, I see her as going downhill. She had an operation for a mammary tumor maybe 8-9yrs ago, so I guess she has a predisposition towards them.

Gold Member

Her dental issues and going under anesthesia at her age should be off the table. Putting a 15 year old cat under anesthesia is too risky anyway. My 19 year old cat had the worst teeth and lived a long happy life. Vets getting hysterical about an old cat's teeth is simply ridiculous. The only thing you should be worried about is the diabetes because it could be life threatening. It is very overwhelming, I've had pets all my life with many health problems. I know exactly how you feel. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Also try canned food for seniors, it has moisture in it and may help your kitty go to the bathroom.

Elite Member

^^Thank you. Well, then I guess if the diabetes won't kill her, the mammary tumor will since going under anesthesia is too risky. I do give her canned foods with moisture, but all she wants is turkey breast from my sandwich lol! If going under is too risky at 15? Why do they even mention it? Why make it seem like its routine? So they can get their 600 bucks and she dies on the table? Horrible.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I think you should get a second opinion. It doesn't sound too good that your vet scared you like this into considering putting your cat to sleep (although it's all up to you to decide).

I'm sure there are other alternatives and holistic/homeopathy approches to treating your cat's diabetes.

Do more research and perhaps call around for other vets who might be more knowledgeable.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Gold Member

^^Thank you. Well, then I guess if the diabetes won't kill her, the mammary tumor will since going under anesthesia is too risky. I do give her canned foods with moisture, but all she wants is turkey breast from my sandwich lol! If going under is too risky at 15? Why do they even mention it? Why make it seem like its routine? So they can get their 600 bucks and she dies on the table? Horrible.
    Good question, I don't know why they mention it. If you had said to the Vet " I feel it's too risky because of her age", the Vet wouldn't have disagreed with you. Overall I don't think Vets are bad, it's just they need to communicate what's important rather than everything that could be "fixed". It's too overwhelming for a pet owner. If they wanted to put her under for her tumor, then the benefit could outweigh the risks, but for teeth cleaning only-it's not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information