Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to love animals yet eat meat/wear fur, leather...

^^ Haha yeah my sentence structure was teh suck that last post!

i was raised in a hunting and fishing family, i love my pets but would never give up everything that has some kind of animal part because of it
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    i was raised in a hunting and fishing family, i love my pets but would never give up everything that has some kind of animal part because of it
    It's pretty much impossible to give up everything that has some sort of animal part in it. I'm sure my computer has some animal by-product in it, same as my car does.

i know!!

this is a really touchy subject..ill be interested to see how the rest of this thread goes

It's a touchy subject and although I am a vegetarian I'd never get up in anyone's face about eating meat, or wearing leather -- because although I don't eat meat, or buy leather there are enough things in my life I am not willing to give up that contain animal by-products. My computer, my car, photography etc..

wait.. what animal byproducts are in a computer?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The mouse?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm saying that anything that has some form of glue in it, that I can't prove is synthetic.

^^LOL.

The reason, I mentioned those things is because I get tired of people using who doesn't eat what and who does this for animals as a pissing contest. I can't stand rabid PETA types, who would say that I'm engaging is gross cruelty because I eat cheese. I'm just trying to say that it's pretty much impossible to be 100% cruelty-free. I am a vegetarian, but honestly I get sick of some of the holier-than-thou attitudes towards people that do eat meat.

I love animals and its the only reason I became a vegetarian. I tried being vegan but that was too hard and I figured the effort I make is better than none at all. I also don't buy any leather or fur products but I use what I already have. Whoever said that its "human nature" to eat animals, well that can be argued because if that was true, humans would be designed with teeth made for ripping flesh off bones, and the ability to consume raw meat without becoming sick. I personally think anyone who says that is just trying to justify eating meat. I don't care if people eat meat or not, what I eat is my choice and I know I AM making a difference, just by myself. It doesn't bother me to see people eat meat. It does bother me a lot to see people wearing fur, faux or real, and I've blacklisted all celebs I've seen wearing fur. I just think its hypocritical to say "Oh I love animals" then eat their flesh. I'm not going to discriminate against any kind of animal just because one species is "acceptable" to eat and one is more of a pet. It is perfectly possible to live a completely healthy (and iron rich) diet without eating meat, because I'm a great example. I used to be sick (colds, sinus infections, etc) a lot when I ate meat, since going vegetarian I haven't been sick ONE TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Ive always wondered how people can figure out a way NOT to wear leather when most shoes are made from it.

Leather is one thing.. its made from cow.. pretty much all the cow is used when butchered.. skin for leather, meat for food, bones and gristle for other things.. It's not like we're just killing the cow, stripping it, and then tossing 95% of it into a dumpster.

Fur, on the other hand, is a decadence. Raising little animals purely for their pelt and then chucking it once skinned?

Plus fur just looks hideous. Most coats look like a bunch of squirrel pelts stitched together.. ugly things.
    Perfectly said. It's why I'd never wear fur but I love my leather shoes/coats/trousers.

As for meat, I try to limit my intake, both for health reasons and because it's so resource-wasting, and I buy free range when I can, but I do believe human being are omnivores.

Quote Originally Posted by flecjill View Post
    I love animals and its the only reason I became a vegetarian. I tried being vegan but that was too hard and I figured the effort I make is better than none at all. I also don't buy any leather or fur products but I use what I already have. Whoever said that its "human nature" to eat animals, well that can be argued because if that was true, humans would be designed with teeth made for ripping flesh off bones, and the ability to consume raw meat without becoming sick.
    we do have teeth made for ripping flesh, they're called canines. and humans can eat raw meat without getting sick. steak tartare, anyone? sushi? we've just lost the habit in the thousands of years since we discovered fire.
    biologically, humans are omnivores. therefore there's no need to 'justify' eating meat. which is not to say that one shouldn't try to do so in a way that is as humane as possible.
    it's fine if you choose not to eat meat, what isn't is thinking that's better. it's a bit more complicated than that. your plastic shoes? they might not be made from animals, but producing plastics is harmful to the environment, and do you know how long it's going to take for that shoe to bio-degrade after you're done using it?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

I really don't see what one has to do with the other. I eat meat and I love animals. I also happen to come from a farming family where you raise what you eat - does that make it hypocritical or self-preservation?

Living in the society that we do, we don't have to eat meat but I don't see why choosing to do so would be cause for debate. After all, most (if not all) of us would even be here if all our ancestors had been vegetarians.

As for fur... It's assumed all fur comes from animals who were killed just for their pelts. Killing animals just for fur is stupid. Using the fur of an animal killed for food is a different story - why waste any part when it can be put to good use. I've yet to see a protest against the use of cow hide, it's not fur but it did come from an animal. Is it because the rest of the animal was put to good use or does no one love cows?

i love my animals but i eat meat i wear leather and I see nothing wrong with hunting if you eat what you kill. survival of species if these animals aren't thinned out by us or another animal killing them they overpopulate etc.. etc... etc... it's the circle of life lol I watched the lion king
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information