Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pietertje, my black bunny died this evening

hugs to you all! Thanks for all the kindness.
    It's been a week now and the reason I felt so heartbroken because she died so sudden and she was not even that old. I guess I understimated how fragile rabbits can be.
    I'm watching Paulus (my other rabbit) like a hawk (no pun intended). I've moved his cage next to my computer, so he's always near me, I don't want him wasting away all on his lonesome. Poor thing will probably get really fat because I keep feeding him treats and cuddling it.

As for people who act like insensitive jerks about rabbits as pets, I'm used to it. People sometimes think it's weird to keep a rabbit inside the house (over here at least). Most people keep them outdoors. I've gotten used to not talk about how wonderful rabbits are to just anyone, I'm pretty selective about sharing in that respect. Don't want people thinking I'm weird or something, hehe

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have 5 house rabbits myself and I love them to bits.

As for people who act like insensitive jerks about rabbits as pets, I'm used to it. People sometimes think it's weird to keep a rabbit inside the house (over here at least). Most people keep them outdoors. I've gotten used to not talk about how wonderful rabbits are to just anyone, I'm pretty selective about sharing in that respect. Don't want people thinking I'm weird or something, hehe[/quote]

If you are 'weird', then you have plenty of good company!

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

My 'babies' are birds at the moment, but some years ago, the ex-boyfriend and I had a black rabbit called Jack. *sigh* I know..."Jack Rabbit", I couldn't help myself.

Jack was a wonderful friend. He was loose in our apartment most of the time, and I when I lounged back to watch TV in the evenings, he'd snuggle up right against my neck and veg out with me. I figure he liked being near the pulse in my neck because he was a young rabbit and my heartbeat comforted him. Our lovebird snuggles up to me in the exact same place, too.

The ex and I decided to leave the city for a while, so we searched until we found a perfect home for Jack; he went to live in the country with a very nice lady who adored rabbits.

I recently took one of our birds to the vet's. I take our birds to vets who deal only with exotic pets. There was a young woman in the waiting room cuddling a rabbit; he had fur that resembled that of a tabby cat's...he was absolutely gorgeous. And you wouldn't believe what his name was! Of course, it was Jack....

To me, if you love a creature and feel a bond with him or her, it doesn't matter if s/he is a bird, a rabbit, a lizard or an arachnid. The bond forms and certainly, there are people who won't understand it, but it's their loss.

This is so sad. I'm so sorry for your loss of Pietertje

My rabbit, Sebastian, also died unexpectedly the other day. I still don't understand it. He had plenty of food and clean water (I changed his water every day) and was well taken care of. I had a cat bed for him to sleep in so he would be comfortable. I fed him special rabbit food that I purchased at PetSmart and the occasional treat, like lettuce, cucumbers, and carrots. I provided him with hay and soft towels, in addition to his cat bed, which I set up in my bathroom so he would always be comfortable. He was a wonderful pet- affectionate, litter box trained, and fiesty. He had a personality and I loved him so much. When I would walk into his room, he would come up and greet me, nuzzling up against my leg and licking me.

Everything seemed fine and then I went to feed him one day and he was dead. I was so devastated because Sebastian was only 1 and a half years old. My boyfriend thinks that my roommate might have poisoned him- she was always bitching about him because he was scared of her. When she would go into his room, he would literally snarl at her, growling in a way that I didn't even know rabbits were capable of. I like to hope that she didn't do that, though.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is SO hard.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post

My rabbit, Sebastian, also died unexpectedly the other day. I still don't understand it. He had plenty of food and clean water (I changed his water every day) and was well taken care of. I had a cat bed for him to sleep in so he would be comfortable. I fed him special rabbit food that I purchased at PetSmart and the occasional treat, like lettuce, cucumbers, and carrots. I provided him with hay and soft towels, in addition to his cat bed, which I set up in my bathroom so he would always be comfortable. He was a wonderful pet- affectionate, litter box trained, and fiesty. He had a personality and I loved him so much. When I would walk into his room, he would come up and greet me, nuzzling up against my leg and licking me.

Everything seemed fine and then I went to feed him one day and he was dead. I was so devastated because Sebastian was only 1 and a half years old. My boyfriend thinks that my roommate might have poisoned him- she was always bitching about him because he was scared of her. When she would go into his room, he would literally snarl at her, growling in a way that I didn't even know rabbits were capable of. I like to hope that she didn't do that, though.
    I am so sorry to hear about Sebastian.

Do you think that your boyfriend's suspicions might be right?

Animals are the most psychic beings there are on this planet, and if Sebastian displayed such overt hostility towards your roommate, perhaps he knew more about her psyche than you did.

I know that you can't actually prove anything at this point, but the fact that Sebastian passed at such a young age when he was seemingly healthy and so well loved would make me consider finding another roommate. Sorry, but reading this incident such aroused my suspicions.

We don't know each other, and I don't mean to alarm you, but if your roommate had it in for Sebastian, her issues might run deeper and to me, it's cause for concern.

If I were you, I'd go shopping for another roommate or I'd live alone (finances permitting).

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ I'm so sorry for your loss southernbelle, and I agree with Pippin. This isn't a good situation. I agree with how Sebastian reacted to her, and that she's probably not a good bet as a roommate in any case.

Ow man, that is so sad... were there no signs of him not feeling well? Did he stop eating? Rabbits can be very good at hiding an illness. I've even heard of rabbits pretending to eat while they were sick...
    Even if he was poisoned (what an awfull idea) you would have noticed him being in pain I would think?
    Did it look like Sebastian died in his sleep? or did it look like he struggled or something? 1,5 years old is very young for a pet rabbit to die, if they are cared for properly (and obviously Sebastian was) he could have reached an age of 10/12 years easy.

I can imagine Sebastian's reaction to your roommate bothers you very much. Pietertje sometimes used to stamp his feet whenever my mother came to visit us. My mother never hurt an animal in her life, it probably had to do with the tone of her voice or the way she smelled or something. Something Pietertje wasn't used to. My parents live a long way away, and they are pretty old so we visit them more than they visit us.

But a rabbit growling and snarling at someone he sees a lot.. that is strange. He was obviously scared of her. How did your roommate react when you told her Sebastian was dead?
    Anyway lots of hugs to you Sounds like Sebastian was a great rabbit-friend.

I'm so sorry Tiggle.

And your coworkers sound like...well, not very nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I'm so sorry Tiggle.

And your coworkers sound like...well, not very nice people.
    Ow well, some people are just like that. I live in a .. rural.. part of the Netherlands. I don't even react to the annual 'guess-what's-for-Christmas- dinner'-jokes anymore. Or the 'all-bunnies-do-is-have-sex-all-day'-jokes. Whatever.
    One co-worker was actually surprised I took my bunnies to the vet if they get sick and to get them their shots twice a year. He was even more surprised I had my male rabbit neutered. I mean... wtf?? They are my pets..THAT's what you do. At the same time he spent a lot of money on his two cats.. but that's different somehow...
    LOL some people are strange..

Quote Originally Posted by tiggle View Post
    Ow man, that is so sad... were there no signs of him not feeling well? Did he stop eating? Rabbits can be very good at hiding an illness. I've even heard of rabbits pretending to eat while they were sick...
    Even if he was poisoned (what an awfull idea) you would have noticed him being in pain I would think?
    Did it look like Sebastian died in his sleep? or did it look like he struggled or something? 1,5 years old is very young for a pet rabbit to die, if they are cared for properly (and obviously Sebastian was) he could have reached an age of 10/12 years easy.

I can imagine Sebastian's reaction to your roommate bothers you very much. Pietertje sometimes used to stamp his feet whenever my mother came to visit us. My mother never hurt an animal in her life, it probably had to do with the tone of her voice or the way she smelled or something. Something Pietertje wasn't used to. My parents live a long way away, and they are pretty old so we visit them more than they visit us.

But a rabbit growling and snarling at someone he sees a lot.. that is strange. He was obviously scared of her. How did your roommate react when you told her Sebastian was dead?
    Anyway lots of hugs to you Sounds like Sebastian was a great rabbit-friend.
    There were no signs at all. It looked like he may have died in his sleep. I initially thought he was lounging, and when I got closer, I saw that he was dead. His eyes were still open.

When I told my roommate that he had died, she tactlessly LAUGHED and said, "Im sorry, I know you loved him, but that's just kind of funny."

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg tiggle *hugs* I am sooo sorry, I feel your pain and I hope its gotten better for you *hugs*

There were no signs at all. It looked like he may have died in his sleep. I initially thought he was lounging, and when I got closer, I saw that he was dead. His eyes were still open.

When I told my roommate that he had died, she tactlessly LAUGHED and said, "Im sorry, I know you loved him, but that's just kind of funny."
    I'm sorry to say I HATE your roommate! People like that are just creepy. How could that be funny? She is just trash.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think at that point I would have slapped her.
    Seriously, I think I would've lost it. What a pshycho bitch.

Well at least Sebastian didn't look like he suffered. That's something. I have often thought Paulus was dead. He can just lie there completely motionless, on his side, eyes closed. Pietertje never did that, she always slept in 'alert-mode'. You could never catch her off-guard.

Are you planning on adopting another bunny? (although maybe it's best to wait untill roommate from hell is no longer in the picture..)

I do want to get another one, but I'm going to wait until I'm living by myself. Even though I don't have any concrete proof that she did anything to Sebastian, I just don't trust her around my animals now and I don't think that I could bring another rabbit into that environment in good conscience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information