Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Photographer Shows the Sweet Side of Pit Bulls

  1. #16
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hartford CT USA
    Posts
    523

    Default

    i don't have dogs but i've always had cats and i'm an animal lover in general. i think all animals have wild instincts and if provoked in a certain way or to a certain degree they are going to react with their instinct. but we domesticate them and love them and so they become sweet and affectionate, and for the most part because they are living their lives with us in our homes, they are never really provoked to the point that their natural instincts take over. but make no mistake, my cat playfully bites me and it's sweet and i know he isn't trying to hurt me, but if i pushed him over the edge, his instinct would take over and he's attack. it wouldn't matter because i'm so much bigger and stronger than him, but if he was the size of a bobcat? a tiger? i'd be dead. EVEN THOUGH HE LOVES ME MORE THAN ANY HUMAN EVER HAS! it doesn't matter. instinct can never be erased, it's subconscious. so i think the deal with pitbulls is that they are built a certain way with certain DNA that makes them strong/capable enough to seriously injure (or even kill) a human, and if that instinct is provoked, there's no turning back. with other breeds, they may not have the same strength, size, or anatomy, so even if they did attack it wouldn't cause the same damage. there is no mammal that doesn't instinctively react when it feels physically threatened. even humans have instinctual defenses, which i learned early on in my martial arts training.
    Flygirl likes this.

  2. #17
    Silver Member misrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in a constant state of fluxus
    Posts
    632

    Default

    My 40kg choc lab x pitty rescue mongrel is the sweetest, but biggest sook ever. She is a rescue and was terribly mistreated as a pup, so it might explain some of it, but she's very submissive. She was attacked out of the blue by my aunts teeny tiny staffy x- a dog with terrible behaviours who I had never wanted around my dog in the first place, and this tiny shoebox sized dog almost took my pups eye out. But the 40kg monster pit x didn't even try to fight back, just whimpered as this dog tried to chew her face off. It took me, my dad and my neighbour to get the little dog off her, and all she did was crawl into my lap afterwards, never even growled. But we have trained her not to because so many people are terrified of her on sight. It might be in the breeds nature to fight, but it doesn't always come out. Shitty, nasty dogs come from all breeds, and what I've noticed is that the smaller ones get a pass on misbehaving cuz they're so small and fluffy = harmless.

    On a side note, my lovely dad who I swear loves my puppydog more than me, still has nightmares about her getting attacked and it was 2 x years ago... :-(
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

  3. #18
    Gold Member manningmsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    My 40kg choc lab x pitty rescue mongrel is the sweetest, but biggest sook ever. She is a rescue and was terribly mistreated as a pup, so it might explain some of it, but she's very submissive. She was attacked out of the blue by my aunts teeny tiny staffy x- a dog with terrible behaviours who I had never wanted around my dog in the first place, and this tiny shoebox sized dog almost took my pups eye out. But the 40kg monster pit x didn't even try to fight back, just whimpered as this dog tried to chew her face off. It took me, my dad and my neighbour to get the little dog off her, and all she did was crawl into my lap afterwards, never even growled. But we have trained her not to because so many people are terrified of her on sight. It might be in the breeds nature to fight, but it doesn't always come out. Shitty, nasty dogs come from all breeds, and what I've noticed is that the smaller ones get a pass on misbehaving cuz they're so small and fluffy = harmless.

    On a side note, my lovely dad who I swear loves my puppydog more than me, still has nightmares about her getting attacked and it was 2 x years ago... :-(
    I agree that little dogs get a pass sometimes. And it's stupid. They may not be able to inflict damage quite as easily, but they are far from harmless. I once spent a weird sleepless night googling dog attacks and found out that dachshunds (the breed I own) were responsible for a death (it was a tag team thing with a golden retriever) in one attack and eating some woman's diabetic gangrene foot in another. I spent the entire night staring at my little dog on top of the covers, feeling like I was in bed with a lion.

    All dogs can infict pain. Same as humans. Some are stronger, larger, or meaner, but that doesn't mean the weak, small, and kind are incapable. And just like humans, judgements can't be made solely by appearance. Being strong and large isn't a prerequisite for being mean, though admittedly a large mean dog is probably more dangerous than a bitchy chihuahua. But the bitchy chihuahua can hurt you. My dogs are not biters, though they went through a brief gnawing phase when they were teething which we quickly curbed. Still, I never understood the power in their jaws until my older dog bit me by mistake. She was on my lap playing with a squeaky toy (she basically mutiliates them) and in the process of savagely attacking her rubber hot dog, accidently overbit and got a chunk of my thigh along with it. I saw stars. Not only did it break the skin and leave a huge bloody welt on my thigh, but I was left actually crying and giving her the side-eye for at least an hour. And she only barely got me with her front teeth. I couldn't imagine being that damn hot dog (it's long dead now). I wouldn't want her biting my kids any more than a pit.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

  4. #19
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,580

    Default

    When I was a kid there was a psycho Yorkshire Terrier that terrorised the whole street. Candy was her name. She wasn't capable of chewing anyone's face off but she could and did inflict a nasty nip on any kid who couldn't get out of the way quick enough. To this day I hate those fucking dogs.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  5. #20
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    18,807

    Default

    I'm very, very nervous around dogs that I don't know because I have been bitten several times (the Bloke says it's a combination of poor ownership and the dogs sensing how very wary I am and trying to take advantage/dominate). Each time I have been bitten/snapped at it was by a smaller breed who had been fussed and mollycoddled into being a spoiled, bad tempered, jealous little shit by indulgent owners who didn't think their fluffball needed the same depth and strictness of training as a larger, stronger breed. BULLSHIT! If you take on the responsibility of a dog then you need to be thorough and consistent in training and socialising them, be they a teacup Yorkie or a walking brick wall of a Staffie, and you need to constantly reinforce that training throughout their life.

    But as much as I'm wary around dogs there is one that I adore with every beat of my heart, and that's my MIL's Irish Staffie. She has a very sweet and placid temperament and is a total wimp when it comes to things like loud noises (she'll try and drag the MIL home whenever she hears them out shooting rabbits over the fields) and trying to get either of the MIL's cats to move off 'her' chair. She really, really is the best dog I have ever met and is definitely a part of the family - but we never forget that she IS still a dog and that we can't attribute human rational thinking to her and so we take precautions, like putting her on the lead if another dog looks like it might not be as social or friendly as she is, keeping her in sight when off the lead and constantly positively reinforcing her training.

    We actually had a heart warming moment when we were out on our Sunday ramble yesterday. A man was walking along with his little girl and instead of snatching his child up and acting like we had an uncontrolled devil dog (as happens all too often) he came over and asked if she was friendly and would it be ok if his daughter patted her. The dog got some loves from new friends, the little girl beamed from ear to ear and everyone parted happily. That really made my afternoon as much as the sunshine, the butterflies and the bunnies.
    manningmsj and McJag like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  6. #21
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    I took care of a guy who literally got his arm and nose ripped off by his beloved pit. The dog got spooked by lightening while the owner was trying to bring him inside. Tore the guy's arm off at the shoulder. He begged the police not to put the dog down. My cousin runs a pit rescue. I just can't...
    HWBL likes this.

  7. #22
    Hit By Ban Bus! rockchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I took care of a guy who literally got his arm and nose ripped off by his beloved pit. The dog got spooked by lightening while the owner was trying to bring him inside. Tore the guy's arm off at the shoulder. He begged the police not to put the dog down. My cousin runs a pit rescue. I just can't...
    That's a pretty horrifying story, and I have heard/read other horrifying pit attack stories. I still am one of those who can't condemn an entire breed though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have been around sweet pits, too.

  8. #23
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    30,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    When I was a kid there was a psycho Yorkshire Terrier that terrorised the whole street. Candy was her name. She wasn't capable of chewing anyone's face off but she could and did inflict a nasty nip on any kid who couldn't get out of the way quick enough. To this day I hate those fucking dogs.


    do NOT judge all yorkies by that monster! mine is as sweet as can be and gets smushed, poked, prodded, "hugged", etc. by a 2 year old any chance he can snatch her. she just lets him do whatever he wants to his booboo.
    laynes and Honey like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  9. #24
    Gold Member manningmsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    ^^^^ My mom's Yorkie is the same way around my oft abusively-affectionate nephew (almost 2). He adores her, but like all todlers, his love can be of the pulling, pinching, grabbing variety. It's almost worrisome how unreactive she is. We very sternly tell him "no" if he appears to be hurting her, but because she doesn'tt make a sound or pull away we don't always notice. We have to watch carefully to make sure he isn't tugging her fur or twisting her ears when he pulls her in for a big kiss.

    I worry because I don't want him to think all dogs will react that way. Anytime we tell him to stop, he does immediately because the last thing he wants is to hurt her. But I know it's hard for him to comprehend when she doesn't react. My dogs were pretty great with my kids, but they would yelp or even growl if they were being too rough. They never bit, but their reactions scared them enough to let them know to stop. I kinda think of them as the best children-training dogs ever. My kids learned to be gentle with animals without getting injured or worse. I'm afraid my nephew might end up learning the hard way.

    Not the dog's fault, though. She's a saint.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

  10. #25
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    30,912

    Default

    i do the same thing - i follow him around when he's chasing her to give her hugs because there might be one day when she's had enough.
    manningmsj likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  11. #26
    Elite Member ConstanceSpry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,177

    Default

    I feel sorry for Pit Bulls. So often, they are owned by absolutely horrible people who abuse and neglect them and cause them to become aggressive. Plus, many of them come from backyard breeders who don't care about only breeding dogs with friendly personalities.
    Kittylady and Icepik like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

  12. #27
    Elite Member dksnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    <<< I love my pit I've owned them all my life. The one I have now, I got as a puppy. He took puppy classes at the local SPCA, then a training class and received his Canine Good Citizen. He does fundraisers for area shelters and rescue groups. He also goes to doggy day camp and I belong to a dog walking group which is mostly made up of pits, but we have labs/shepherds/etc. I believe socialization early on is key. He gets along well with other dogs, cats and people.

    That being said, I have a neighbor that lives behind me w/two pits that get loose a lot, and they scare the hell out of me. They come up to the fence and bark, growl and snarl at my dog. They are under-socialized and under-exercised. They are the reason I refuse to walk my dog in my own neighborhood. Owners like that give them a bad name
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

  13. #28
    Hit By Ban Bus! rockchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dksnj View Post
    <<< I love my pit I've owned them all my life. The one I have now, I got as a puppy. He took puppy classes at the local SPCA, then a training class and received his Canine Good Citizen. He does fundraisers for area shelters and rescue groups. He also goes to doggy day camp and I belong to a dog walking group which is mostly made up of pits, but we have labs/shepherds/etc. I believe socialization early on is key. He gets along well with other dogs, cats and people.

    That being said, I have a neighbor that lives behind me w/two pits that get loose a lot, and they scare the hell out of me. They come up to the fence and bark, growl and snarl at my dog. They are under-socialized and under-exercised. They are the reason I refuse to walk my dog in my own neighborhood. Owners like that give them a bad name
    You are a great owner! As we've noted, it's not just pits that can be vicious. A lot of dogs have the potential to be mean bastards. Hate the deed, not the breed.
    dksnj likes this.

  14. #29
    Elite Member funky_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in Charlie's Chocolate Factory
    Posts
    3,755

    Default

    I got two dogs that both look like pits (pits are now also forbidden to hold where I live in Switzerland) and it's incredible to feel all the hate that comes from random people I meet while walking the dogs or taking them somewhere with me. It's fine if you don't like dogs and I understand it if you're afraid of dogs, but why confronting me with your hate? "You got one of those awful dogs that kill children!" "Your dog needs a muzzle" or "It's so fucking dangerous to walk your dog without a leash!". I never let my dogs run without a leash where it's not allowed. It's hurtful, I'm proud of my babies and I have a really hard time to stay calm when someone says those things. Ask me to hold my dogs because you're afraid, I'm happy to do so. But to accuse me of having monsters with me is not okay.
    But, I have to say, it gets better. The local media showed the pits as monsters a few years back, but in the last few months you read more positive news about those breeds I think.
    dksnj likes this.
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
  2. Victoria Beckham shows her ugly side
    By Honey in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •