Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pets we have loved and lost

Thank you msdeb, McJag, and KrisNine.

My sweet girl was getting on up in age, and her back legs just totally gave out on her. She was doing fine, then suddenly that Thursday she laid down and could no longer get up, not even to potty. We got snowed in, and I did my best to keep her comfortable, but she was in so much pain. Crying around the clock.

Had to make the heartbreaking decision to have her put to sleep that Monday morning. Doc said there was nothing she could do aside from pain management, but still no quality of life. I got to be with her right until the end, held her and loved on her. Thanked her for all the happy years. Brought her home and laid her to rest.

Sweetness, she was just precious

You made a heartbreaking decision, but it was the best one for your girl. I stayed with my baby until the end, too. I held her head and cradled her, all the while telling her she was a good girl and how much I loved her. It still makes me cry when I think about it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Sweetness, she was just precious

You made a heartbreaking decision, but it was the best one for your girl. I stayed with my baby until the end, too. I held her head and cradled her, all the while telling her she was a good girl and how much I loved her. It still makes me cry when I think about it.
    Aw KrisNine, thank you so much. I know you just went through the same thing with your beautiful Josie. My heart just broke for you when I read that thread. Then had the same thing happen with Liza.

At least we can take comfort in knowing our babies are no longer in pain.... they will live on forever in our hearts.

Bless you, sweetie.

Oh boy, all of your losses have me sobbing here at my desk. My heart goes out to all of you who shared your stories.

How much we love our babies! when I hear of someone who "doesn't like animals" my radar automatically goes up and trust level for that person goes down. How could someone not like animals? they give unconditional love, ask for nothing in return except for a little affection and companionship.

I've lost several through the years, most recently (Nov. 2008) Lexie, my 16 year old cat. She was more like a dog affection wise, constantly kissing and cuddling. It seems that she went from good health to old age overnight. I didn't even notice it until I took some photos and saw her in them. It was weird that it took pictures to show me how elderly she had become. One morning it looked as if she had a stroke, so I rushed her to the vet and she said it seemed as if it were a bunch of things, including cancer....did I want to have tests done, surgery, etc? I said no, not only because of the money, but because my girl had a good run and I know she would not have wanted to be prodded and poked and xrayed at her age. So I stayed with her -- holding her and telling her what a good girl she was and how many happy years she gave me. She was gone in an instant and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do, really. I cried so hard that some of the other people with their pets in the waiting room were sobbing as well. Maybe they were also there for the same reason, or maybe they just felt my heartache.

As much as it hurt, all those years with her were worth that pain. She brought me so much happiness, and I was glad I could give her some comfort at the end of her life.

Now I have three beautiful kittens!

Sweetness, i have Rainbow Bridge in my fave places. i have tried twice to go there, but for me, its a bit too soon. Its a beautiful site though.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

My Vet's office sent me the sweetest card after Gingers death. The whole staff signed it and wrote nice notes. I thought the card was really a nice gesture, especially the lady vet telling me I had made the right choice and that she knew how hard it had been.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm teary now, this is a bit of a bittersweet thread...everyone had such special pets RIP xxx

Elite Member

The whole vet staff came out to see Lucy off..after. She was the best. I will never have another dog that good. Certainly not the one she left behind. It's very depressing to know you have had your once in a lifetime...and it's all down hill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    The whole vet staff came out to see Lucy off..after. She was the best. I will never have another dog that good. Certainly not the one she left behind. It's very depressing to know you have had your once in a lifetime...and it's all down hill from here.
    You know what? We gave been the luckiest pet owners on earth already. We are pet owner lottery winners already. My new doggie-who was just junked after 4 years-already has shown he is a top dog,too. He is so merry,so loving and I know Ginger sent him to me. He is so different, yet so fantastic in his own way. Love is just as beautiful the second time around. When your heart is ready, Lucy will send her stand-in. It may not be the same breed or gender, but he or she is out there waiting.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Well, I have another lab, but she's no where near Lucy. Lucy was what everyone says you should never do...a spur of the moment buy at a pet store at Christmas, and she was the best dog of my life. The new one, from the very fancy breeder, who cost four times as much and I had to fly to PITTSBURG to pick her up...a complete and utter knot head. Does all the things that Lucy would never dream of...knocks over little kids, steals food off the counter, rips up the garbage. Who knew that 2 dogs could be so different.

Scooter! That dog was already here. That dog does not count. Look in your local shelters until you find one that your heart recognises. This is how I found my new true love. I was just "window shopping" , had never even thought of this breed and there he was! Waiting for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information