Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pet's remains- what did you do (or would you do) with them?

Cali, I am so sorry for your loss.

I had Kitty cremated separately from other pets and her ashes sent home with me. She is in wooden box on one of my book shelves. Each week when I dust, I get to remember her and think of all of the time I had with her. Its been 5 years since she passed and each time I see her there, it brings a smile to my face.

bailey's in a amber glass jar(?) on the bookshelf by the family picture. it's covered and sealed, but i can still see her and she's in the same room as the rest of the family.

the cat's in a shoe box buried under the deck.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Sorry for your loss.
    My story sounds ridiculous but unfortunately it happened! - My family and I had my dog George cremated and when we picked his ashes up we left the urn in the car boot/trunk for two days. I'm not sure why, but we were gutted about his death and were deciding where to put his ashes. Anyway, on the second night our car only got stolen didn't it?! I kid you not! I was pissed off at the time but I can sorta see the funny side now. I do wish we'd be able to bury or scatter his ashes though.
    Last edited by Sarzy; January 17th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    We dumped his body in a garbage bag and threw him in the bin. And that was that.
    please tell me there's no truth to your username...*scared*
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    Cali, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had my dog cremated and I got her ashes back in a small box that we were able to sprinkle from. When I was younger, we had some beautiful large bushes at the top end of our garden that she loved to doze under and dig holes/chew branches/try to catch bees and butterflies under etc! These bushes were dug up years and years ago but I decided that she loved them so much, and I had so many memories of the two of us playing around them, it would be nice to replant the same type of bushes and sprinkle her ashes in with the roots whilst planting.

We did this a few years ago and the bushes have now grown and flower beautifully. They are a lovely memorial for us. Sometimes when I touch the flowers/leaves I like to pretend I'm stroking her. (I know how utterly ridiculous that sounds but I don't care! ) There's something very peaceful and comforting to me in the idea that she's almost become a part of nature again.

This worked for us; I'm sure you'll think of something that works for you and your family.
    A friend of mine did this with the ashes of his wife and two kids who were killed by a drunk driver 7 years ago. He created a memorial garden at their temple, planted perennials and bushes, and fertilized it with their ashes. A bunch of us never knew what happened to the bodies because there was a very public funeral (the accident was all over the news here because the driver blew a .38; he's serving 26 years in jail and doesn't remember what he did), and the "burial" service was private. We didn't know about the cremations until their memorial ceremony at the temple about 6 months later. It was a very loving tribute to the family; the garden was lush and gorgeous.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    please tell me there's no truth to your username...*scared*
    Lol, what? Whaddaya mean? That I actually electrocute sheep?? Because no. I actually stole my username from another forum cos when I first read it, I immediately laughed out loud, because I pictured sheep getting electrocuted, so I just had to have it.

I know my original post in this thread seemed kind of harsh, but I was actually gutted when my cat died. My neighbour found him dead underneath his house, and he said poisonous toads or frogs lived underneath there, so he probably ate one, which makes sense, because my cat was a very fussy eater and wouldn't eat what we gave him. He liked expensive food, which we couldn't afford, except for maybe time to time. Anyways, my family is poor, and not the type to go to great lengths for a cat, so we did what we could.

Actually, I think my step-dad eventually took him out of the bin, and buried him in our backyard, even though that's illegal where we live.

But, truly, I was gutted when my cat died, I'm just not the type to show my feelings

Lol, I love the tag!!! I actually love animals! For the longest time I wanted to be a veterinarian. I still do!

I had my two old ferrets cremated. They died at different times and share a nice little square marble urn now. It sounds a bit morbid, but I also bought a nice silver necklace to put their ashes in. I had their names engraved on each side. I probably wore that necklace for several years.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that those boys probably saved my life. I went through some bad times when I was younger. When I was depressed, they kept me functioning enough because I knew that without me they'd end up in a shelter. They wouldn't understand why I disappeared. When I was a bit manic, they kept me grounded enough in the fact that I had to take care of them and couldn't go too off the rails. I'm not a kid person, so to me pets are basically furkids.

I also have impressions of their paws with a bit of fur attached. That's hidden away in a closet somewhere.

Everyone who replied- thank you so much, and I"m sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I just couldn't deal. I had lost my puppy and I just couldn't deal.

You all gave me some lovely ideas. thank you so much for sharing those and for sharing your stories. I'm sorry for the loss of all your beloved pets. losing a pet just SUCKS.

Currently, my pup's remains are still in the box they came in, where my family lovingly put them on top of the bookshelf. I aspire to do something with them but.. I have some silly questions.

In cremated ashes, is it literally just ashes? I guess I have this idea that teeth and claws don't burn as easily and I"d just be fully traumatized if I got my guts up to scatter her ashes and found something solid like that. Is that a possibility?? I know this might be a truly silly question but... I want to be prepared for what I might find in that box of ashes. Will it truly be just a box of ashes with nothing solid?

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Everyone who replied- thank you so much, and I"m sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I just couldn't deal. I had lost my puppy and I just couldn't deal.

You all gave me some lovely ideas. thank you so much for sharing those and for sharing your stories. I'm sorry for the loss of all your beloved pets. losing a pet just SUCKS.

Currently, my pup's remains are still in the box they came in, where my family lovingly put them on top of the bookshelf. I aspire to do something with them but.. I have some silly questions.

In cremated ashes, is it literally just ashes? I guess I have this idea that teeth and claws don't burn as easily and I"d just be fully traumatized if I got my guts up to scatter her ashes and found something solid like that. Is that a possibility?? I know this might be a truly silly question but... I want to be prepared for what I might find in that box of ashes. Will it truly be just a box of ashes with nothing solid?
    I heard there are bone fragments in the ashes, but thought I would look online to see if there was anything written about that and came across an article from a woman discussing the scattering of her pet's ashes and she posted a picture of the remains.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/...7#.UEhB7yIUoY4

Cali, I'm so sorry for you loss. Whatever you ultimately decide will be just perfect.

^^ eek. So it is still bone fragments and such. Sort of chunky, more like gravel? I'm not ready for that. I asked because I want to prepare myself.

Thanks IcePik for sharing that. This help. If that's what is in the box- then I've got to prepare for it. Facts are facts and if that's what is in her ashes, then I can't pretend its the same stuff as cleaning off the ashes of a candle. I had the idea that her ashes would be like that- but suspected it wasn't. Thank you- seriously, so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    ^^ eek. So it is still bone fragments and such. Sort of chunky, more like gravel? I'm not ready for that. I asked because I want to prepare myself.

Thanks IcePik for sharing that. This help. If that's what is in the box- then I've got to prepare for it. Facts are facts and if that's what is in her ashes, then I can't pretend its the same stuff as cleaning off the ashes of a candle. I had the idea that her ashes would be like that- but suspected it wasn't. Thank you- seriously, so much.
    I was worried about posting the picture because I didn't want to upset you, so I'm glad it didn't. It really is better to know what to expect before you scatter your puppies remains. It should be a positive experience, since it's done out of love for your pet.

I'm very sorry for your loss

fgg

my puppy's body is currently with the vet awaiting my final decision. my plan is to have her cremated and take the ashes with me. the family of some of my best friends sent me a magnolia tree to plant in her honor that has a little plaque on a stake with the saying "though she be but little, she is fierce" engraved on it. i will be planting the tree in my new yard.

i plan on scattering part of her ashes in my new back yard and keeping the rest of them in the urn she'll be given to me in. i will be keeping the plaque that came with the tree in my house with her sparkly dog tag, a small oil painting i had done a few months ago of my favorite picture of her and her absolute favorite toy (a purple rubber chicken) all on one of my book shelves.

good luck with your decision cali, it's just so difficult.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information