Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pet food reviews

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by rsauten View Post
    My dogs eat Flint River Ranch dogfood and they love it. Before that I used Canidae. they liked both of them.
    I give them treats of carrots and broccoli...sometimes pretzles, chicken...whatever I am eating. I am a very bad mommy and give them treats every so often.
    I read somewhere that broccolis are toxic for dogs... But I know some dog foods use them as an ingredient. Maybe raw broccolis are hard to digest or something? I remember Elmo had mucus-y poop when I gave him raw broccoli once. I give my Elmo carrots sometimes but some people say they are high in sugar so in moderation I say.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

My boyfriend and I recently took our dog Dick to the vet because he developed a blotchy red rash underneath his arm, aswell as his groin area and the vet seemed to think he was allergic to chicken. So we warded him off chicken altogether and it seemed to go away, also peanut butter has a similiar affect on him. He's still on Nutro lamb and rice but now we switch it up with a diet food you can only get through your vet called Medi-Cal, it's made with duck but he's not a fan of it unless we mix it with his other food or mix in salt free salmon which we now made a habit of. It also makes him very gassy but the vet said that's most likely the diet food. He also said he feeds his own dog a grilled, plain, boneless-skinless chicken breast, since Dick's allergic to chicken I thought even turkey breast would be good. Maybe this Summer we'll try that once in awhile, when we barbeque for ourselves. I'm sure he'd love that. But yes, Iam's is bad bad bad and so is alot of other 'popular' dog food brands. Even Pedigree is terrible. So far Eagle pack or Nutro is the better, veternarian reccommended dog food. Dick likes carrots too, moomies. Well, not so much anymore. He's not a fruits and vegetables sort of dog. He does love himself some salmon or tuna though. What's your thoughts on canned, salt-free salmon or tuna for a dog? Even if it's in small portions or mixed with regular dog food.
    Last edited by JuicyLucy; February 1st, 2007 at 02:48 AM.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

I've never given Elmo canned fish but I bought him salmon jerkies before (meant as dog treats). I think salmon is healthy. Canned tuna I hear has high mercury content so it might not be something you can give as frequently.

Sounds like quite a few people are feeding their pets Nutro. I might stick with it and get him another bag (unless I get tempted by something else at the petstore I usually shop at Bosley's).

Elmo was on Medi-Cal when he had some GI problems some years ago. Medi-Cal Gastro, we fed him. And after he had surgeries (mast cell tumour removal and such) the vet gave us Medi-Cal cuz it's gentle to his tummy.

What breed is your doggie JuicyLucy?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Dick's a boston terrier, what breed is Elmo?
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Elmo is a pug. Boston Terriers and pugs kinda look alike, they all got the bulging eye thing going on

Yes, they do!
    I love pugs, I want one for my second dog when I get to that point.
    I love flat faces and buggy eyes on dogs. Does Elmo snore and snort too? They're like little pigs.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Oh me, too. I like dogs that have squished faces. Elmo snores pretty loud, sometimes louder than my hubby. Yep, Elmo snores, snorts and farts, and sometimes burps.

So does mine!
    Dick also has big dog syndrome.
    He thinks he's tough, and tries to take on dogs twice his size.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

An update:

I recently bought a bag of this for my emoos

FirstMate Potato & Fish
    (6.6 lb/3kg) and treats

$15 for both, the treats came as a bonus.

A hypoallergenic maintenance formula for all dogs, especially those prone to allergies. The Potato & Fish diet limits its macro ingredients to Herring, Potato flakes, Beet Pulp, Chicken fat and Fish Oil.

And............

Elmo absolutely hates this stuff. He outright refuses to eat it, even the treats. I actually meant to buy their blueberry and chicken one ($2 more) but grabbed the wrong bag.

I even tried hand feeding it to him and he still wouldn't eat it. So I've had to mix other bits of veggies and fruit like carrots, apples and tonight I cooked him some minced turkey breast to add to his dog food.

What I liked about this brand is it's locally produced here in BC and it is ultra premium, platinum plus dog food

FirstMate Pet Foods owns and operates its feed mill in Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada. Our mill is regularly inspected by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. We continue to meet or exceed the internationally renowned pet food manufacturing practices as set out by the European Union. FIRSTMATE brand of pet foods are unique with a genuine West Coast flavour your pets will enjoy!!
    I'm guessing that ultra is like the highest quality. On their website they also list "super" premium which I assume is second best in quality? I might have just gotten suckered by their labelling though.

The ingredients also sounded healthy to me, potatoes, herring, chicken, beet, active enzymes, probiotics, omega 3 fatty acids etc etc. But my emoos no likey AT ALL! He's never hated any other dog food like this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information