Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet food reviews

Great...my dog eats Prescription diet from Hills!! I'm going to have to research and see if there is something more fitting. She eats the c/d diet, which is for crystals in the urine, it's supposed to help with those.

Moomies...my Josie does the same thing with any type of chewie treat. She gives me the stink eye and growls!!

Thank you Pacific.
    That's terrible. I feel rotten now. I'll certainly be changing my choice of pet food immediately. I'll also be informing my vet's as they have always recommended either Iams or Eukanuba.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

When we first got Elmo from the breeder, they recommended us and gave us Iams puppy food, too.

I read about their animal testing at school on a PETA pamphlet. It had pics of doggies in cages, some unnecessary abused. I think it was like someone from PETA went undercover and took pics of them.

I do cook for Elmo sometimes (e.g. liver) and give him some veggies, fruit and cooking scraps mixed with his dry food.
    He's almost finished with his bag now so I'm gonna go to a pet store and find something new again Will keep you guys posted on that.

Oh and I think it's better to always get a small than large bag...just to keep the food fresh and prevent it from going stale or attracting cooties...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

My Elmo seems to have quite a sensitive stomach and if we EVER change his diet he ends up being really sick. I'm just going to have to search around for something light and neutral and gradually switch him over onto something new. I don't know WHAT to do about the cats though as they're soooooo fussy and I've tried them on every other product our supermarket has to offer before and they've just turned up their noses at everything! I suppose if they get hungry enough they'll have to learn to eat something new.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

I feed my kitty Wellness made by Old Mother Hubbard. They use 100% human grade ingredients, and include veggies and other good things in their recipe. They are not on the Peta approved list though. This is their reasoning:

"from old mother hubbard:

since our products are food that is consumed, we are required by law to feed our food to dogs/cats for the purpose of palatability and nutrition. we perform only the required tests, in a safe environment that is cruelty-free.

we use human-grade ingredients; therefore, the ingredients are already approved by the food & drug administration. the only tests we conduct on our products are feeding trials, where dogs/cats are fed our product for a period of four days. what we want to find out is "how they like the food". these tests are conducted in kennels, which are approved by the humane society. our tests are feeding trials only. animals are not subjected to surgery or any other procedures.

consumers call us to ask why we are not on peta's do not test list. old mother hubbard is not ready to jump on the peta.org bandwagon. joining the list implies we support/endorse/agree with peta in general.....they are involved in so many aspects of animal rights that it would be too risky to just jump in without a fair amount of research into their claims.
    - no name provided, old mother hubbard dog food company"

http://www.mipmup.com/rdm/2004/01/feelgood_pet_er.html

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, but my kitty really loves the food and she is incredibly healthy, trim and fit.

My cats eat Science Diet Indoor cat food.

My cats usually get Nutro Maxxcat indoor weight management or sometimes Nutro Natural Choice (whichever one is on sale as they are expensive!). Once in awhile, if finances are tight I will buy the PetsMart brand Authority which is still a premium brand.

I would never buy something like Purina Cat Chow or Meow Mix, etc. or even Science Diet or Iams. First ingredient is almost always corn and then the meat is usually by-products and not actually meat. These foods all contain tons of fillers. You guys don't even want to know what some of the so called "fillers" and "by-products" are. It is disgusting!

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Premium food is expensive but worth it for the health of your animal. If that bag of food is only a couple of dollars, you know that it is crap. Sorry.

(Also, always use dry food and not wet. It is healthier for their digestion and for their teeth as well. If you feed your pet human food, make sure it is appropriate such as lean meat and some vegetables, and not just fatty, greasy scraps.)
    "I've got a raging clue right now"

Quote Originally Posted by Siennalake View Post
    M

(Also, always use dry food and not wet. It is healthier for their digestion and for their teeth as well.
    Sorry to disagree, but just about every vet I've ever talked to is of the opinion that good quality wet food should be their diet staple, and that dry food should be limited. Cats usually do not drink enough water (unless they have kidney or other health problems) and need to obtain moisture from food. Here's an interesting article re. moist vs. dry.
    http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/canned_food.htm

^^^ very interesting. When I got my cat, he had bad teeth because of his wet food and he had to get some teeth pulled. My vet said to feed him dry food only. Of course this is the same one that recommended Science Diet - but now I'm reading that it's not so great!?

My oldest cat Opie is a really picky eater (has been since he was a kitten) so he only gets Meow Mix or Friskies (the dry stuff, he hates friskies brand wet food). Any time I've purchased anything else he refused to eat...one time I bought Purina Cat Chow thinking it would be good for him, and he didnt eat for DAYS...I switched back to his meow mix and he wolfed it down like he was starving. I felt so bad since he's my baby and hes always been so tiny. (He's at his heaviest weight now at 9 years old with 8lbs Stilly pretty small for an adult male cat)

I was thinking of trying out one of the multi cat formulas (helps small cats build muscle and overweight cats lose weight) since my other two boys are getting rather hefty, and I would still like Opie to gain some weight. I know Iams makes a multi cat formula, and I believe purina has just come out with one as well, but I cant remember the brand name....anyone have any experience with either? Is it worth the cost?
    Dramatically overdramatic

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    ^^^ very interesting. When I got my cat, he had bad teeth because of his wet food and he had to get some teeth pulled. My vet said to feed him dry food only. Of course this is the same one that recommended Science Diet - but now I'm reading that it's not so great!?
    IceQueen, here is an interesting article by a veterinarian (including study references) who states that dry food does not clean your cat's teeth. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...dcleantheteeth

And from what I've read, Science Diet is not a great petfood at all. It has by-products, corn meal and corn gluten, which is not good for cats. In that price range you can find many better ones, such as Felidae, Solid Gold, etc. Those have human grade ingredients and natural preservatives. Supposedly, the best diet is a raw diet. I am pondering trying it, but I still have to do more research.

I think a good note is that no one should consider switching their pets to a raw food diet without first consulting your vet...if you dont know what you're doing, you could be leaving out some key ingredients that are good for your pets nutrition...poor nutrition can lead to blindness and hearing loss in cats (and I assume dogs as well)
    Dramatically overdramatic

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

My kitty grew up on Iams dry but she is now eating Innova, both dry and wet. I was always told to feed dry food to keep the teeth healthy but now that my baby is older, her kidneys are failing and she needs as much moisture as she can get. Unfortunately she has a VERY sensitive stomach so even though she loves any kind of wet food, she could never eat it because she would vomit for hours. The Innova has made a HUGE difference. I swear, she eats better than i do.

My dogs eat Flint River Ranch dogfood and they love it. Before that I used Canidae. they liked both of them.
    I give them treats of carrots and broccoli...sometimes pretzles, chicken...whatever I am eating. I am a very bad mommy and give them treats every so often.

What about Nutro for cats? I was reading on the about.com link that was posted that it did well for her cats, but doesn't it contain the same ingredients that Science Diet does?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information