Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Aw, that's so sad, Card. Did this just happen?

It just happened the end of March. My brother is absolutely devestated. He's taking it very hard, you know how pets give you that unconditional love. She would sleep on the bed by him every night. Thank you for the condolences. It's absolutely tragic, they estimated that thousands of pets probably got sick/died from this contaminated food.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I hope that he will join the class action suit if he can. It might take years but it sends a message and provides some remuneration if he had some high vet bills due to this. Again, I'm so sorry about his loss...

He is joining the suit. There were some things on the news saying that the companies knew about this tainted gluten possibly around the end of December. No amount of money will bring anyone's beloved pets back, but you're right, the vet bills and some kind of compensation for emotional pain. Thank you Mira for your support and kind words.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I noticed when I poured out the Royal Canin that it was rather greasy, esp. compared to the PetGuard, should have been more cautious. He seems fine now, though I'd rather feed him something less greasy. I'm sure it's a good brand, but he's twelve and I really don't want him eating things that are that greasy.
    Is the Royal Canin a food for older cats Mira? I ask because my old lady cat looked like having to go on the food for cats with kidney problems at one point (she hasn't needed to yet though - blood test last week was fine) and the vet told me that the way these work is that they contain more calories from fat and less from protein. This makes them greasier, but according to my vet they can be better for older cats especially those with reduced kidney function.

This whole incident is just awful, and I feel so sorry for anyone that has been affected. Is it just limited to North America?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Sorry to hear about your brothers kitty, Card. Very sad. I hope he's able to get something out of the lawsuit, even though we all know that it will never bring back his Angel, at least it will make Menu Foods have to pay and not get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    Is the Royal Canin a food for older cats Mira? I ask because my old lady cat looked like having to go on the food for cats with kidney problems at one point (she hasn't needed to yet though - blood test last week was fine) and the vet told me that the way these work is that they contain more calories from fat and less from protein. This makes them greasier, but according to my vet they can be better for older cats especially those with reduced kidney function.

This whole incident is just awful, and I feel so sorry for anyone that has been affected. Is it just limited to North America?
    This is a problem with my two older cats. They are both coming up on 15 (next month) and are experiencing some early signs of kidney problems. They were on the Hills Prescription diet k/d, because it's lower in protein than the other foods. Right now, I've been feeding them a little bit of dry Natural Balance, but mostly canned Natural Balance because of the water content in the dry. The more water, the better.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    Hi Lil, yes it's the mature brand of Royal Canin for cats. Thanks for the info your vet gave you. I've been mixing it in with his older stuff (PetGuard) and he's doing just fine on it and seems to like it too. I do think I'll stick with the PetGuard, or maybe keep mixing the above two together. Interesting about your kittie's kidney function and glad she's OK. Toby had a UTI about 2-1/2 years ago and for about 2 years I had him on a special diet - C/D I believe. It was very good and he loved it, but I wanted some variety for him after 2 yrs...

more added:

FDA Statement

Statement
    April 16, 2007
    Media Inquiries:
    301-827-6242
    Consumer Inquiries:
    888-INFO-FDA

Information on Natural Balance

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) was informed today, April 16, 2007, that Natural Balance Pet Foods has received consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. The company does not know the cause of the problems, but has received reports of animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the company is stating that the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, the company is pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.
    The company is advising consumers to discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.
    The FDA is working closely with Natural Balance and is actively investigating this problem. There is no indication at this time whether this is related to the ongoing pet food recalls. For more information, please see: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This is so awful! I don't think any pet food in any country is safe if they used that stuff from China in it. That just gripes me-if something isn't safe for humans, how can a 10 pound cat survive it? And that guy with the insider trading? He better have made a ton of money to pay off the lawsuits. Hope it was worth it for him!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

oh i know!! i get so worked up everytime i read this stuff!! And this is dry food...at first it was just the gravy cuts stuff, now they are adding on dry food. I've been giving my dog Pedigree since i got her, if they add that to a list i'll go nuts...i have no idea what else i could feed her. You think making your own stuff at home is safe, until something comes up in the news about something else being spoiled...so your screwed either way. Its so sad.

I don't know if you have a Sam's Club near you, but my dog's breeder insisted I keep him on Exceed. You get a huge bag for 16 bucks! She breeds standard poodle show dogs-like the black poodle that won at Westminster a few year back? Mine's grandfather.Anyway she is genius with her dogs, and says that is the only one with the exact balance for health & coat. My little min poodle started doing better too-no more throw-ups! Oh-my poodle that I got from her had a sprinkle of white hairs in his black coat-so he was junked. She told me with a straight face if it bothered me, use Lady Clairol! lol!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

isnt it sad how they are "rejects"?!?! my girl is one too, shes a black lab, but has yellow speckled all through her coat. Not AKC acceptable Its so odd, because when you really look at her skin/hair the ends close to her body are yellow, and just the tips are black...it makes me wonder if, as she gets older, will she turn all yellow?! The breeder told us that she would have been the last one picked, and that she might of had a hard time getting rid of her because of the coloring. I think shes beautiful and different...ive never seen another lab like her.

There isnt a Sams Club here, but there is a Costco, Ill have to search that brand and see if its carried anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    oh i know!! i get so worked up everytime i read this stuff!! And this is dry food...at first it was just the gravy cuts stuff, now they are adding on dry food. I've been giving my dog Pedigree since i got her, if they add that to a list i'll go nuts...i have no idea what else i could feed her. You think making your own stuff at home is safe, until something comes up in the news about something else being spoiled...so your screwed either way. Its so sad.
    Thanks to KrisNine for the kind words.

Silver I feed my dog Pedigree dry also. He was on Iams large breed puppy dry food the first year and has been on Pedigree for about a year now (he's almost 2- a boxer). I chose Pedigree because my other dog ate it & lived for 15 years, plus their commercials with the shelter dogs kill me, for every purchase of Pedigree they make a donation to the shelters. Gosh I hope this recall doesn't expand any more, there are too many right now. Really makes you wonder.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

nbc4.tv

FDA: Pet Food Spiked On Purpose?
    Calif. Hog Farm Under Quarantine

POSTED: 5:28 am PDT April 20, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their apparent protein content, federal officials said Thursday.

That's one theory being pursued by the Food and Drug Administration as it investigates how the chemical, melamine, contaminated at least two ingredients used to make more than 100 brands of dog and cat foods.

In California, state agriculture officials placed a hog farm under quarantine after melamine was found in pig urine there. Additional testing was under way to determine whether the chemical was present in the meat produced by American Hog Farm in Ceres since April 3, the state Department of Food and Agriculture said.

So far, melamine's been found in both wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South Africa suggest a third pet food ingredient, corn gluten, used in that country also was contaminated with melamine. That tainted ingredient has not been found in the United States, the FDA said.

FDA investigators were awaiting visas that would allow them to visit the Chinese plants where the vegetable protein ingredients were produced.

"Melamine was found in all three of those -- it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that it may be intentional. That will be one of the theories we will pursue when we get into the plants in China," Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's chief veterinarian, told reporters.

Chinese authorities have told the FDA that the wheat gluten was an industrial product not meant for pet food, Sundlof said. Still, melamine can skew test results to make a product appear more protein-rich than it really is, he added. That raises the possibility the contamination was deliberate.

"What we expect to do with our inspections in China will answer some of those questions," said Michael Rogers, director of the division of field investigations within the FDA's office of regulatory affairs.

Wilbur-Ellis Co., the U.S. importer of the tainted rice protein, said Thursday it was recalling all the ingredient it had distributed to five U.S. pet food manufacturers. The San Francisco company in turn urged its customers to recall any products that may be on store shelves.

So far, just two of those companies have done so: Natural Balance Pet Foods and Blue Buffalo Co.

Natural Balance, of Pacoima, Calif., announced a limited recall Monday of its Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Blue Buffalo, of Wilton, Conn., followed Thursday by recalling 5,044 bags of its Spa Select Kitten dry food. The company intercepted most of the kitten food before it reached distribution centers, company co-founder Billy Bishop said.

FDA officials would not release the names of the other two manufacturers that Wilbur-Ellis supplied, citing its ongoing investigation.

The FDA could not provide updated numbers of pet deaths or injuries due to the contaminated pet food. The agency has received more than 15,000 calls since the first recall was announced more than a month ago.

The FDA and Agriculture Department also were investigating whether some pet food made by one of the five companies supplied by Wilbur-Ellis was diverted for use as hog feed after it was found unsuitable for pet consumption.

"We understand it did make it into some hog feed and we are following up on that as well," Sundlof said.

Later Thursday, California officials said they believe the melamine at the quarantined hog farm came from rice protein concentrate imported from China by Diamond Pet Food's Lathrop facility, which produces products under the Natural Balance brand and sold salvage pet food to the farm for pig feed.

"Although all animals appear healthy, we are taking this action out of an abundance of caution," State Veterinarian Richard Breitmeyer said in a statement. "It is unknown if the chemical will be detected in meat."

Officials were investigating American Hog Farm's sales records to determine who may be affected by the quarantine, said Steve Lyle, a spokesman for the California Department of Food and Agriculture. The 1,500-animal farm operates as a "custom slaughterhouse," which means it generally does not supply meat to commercial outlets.

"Mostly it is not so-called mainstream pork. This is an operation that sells to folks who come in and want a whole pig," said Lyle said.

Officials urged those who purchased pigs from American Hog Farm since April 3 to not consume the product until further notice.

Dr. Mark Horton, state public health officer, said so far "evidence suggests a minimal health risk to persons who may have consumed pork" from the farm.

A man who answered the phone for American Hog Farm late Thursday declined to comment and referred calls to state officials. Phone calls to Diamond Pet Food's Lathrop facility and Meta, Mo., headquarters were not immediately returned.

Previous Stories:
    April 19, 2007: Melamine Found In 2nd Pet Food Ingredient
    April 17, 2007: New Issue Forces Pet Food Recall
    April 12, 2007: Contaminated Pet Food May Still Be Out There
    April 11, 2007: New Brand Added To Pet Food Recall
    April 6, 2007: China Investigates Pet Food Contamination
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

update?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information