Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Moomies, they have some organic pureed fruits and veggies that you can buy to add to your own home cooked food if you'd like to try that. It's under the 'do it yourself' section. They run the company out of their apartment--corner of Davie and Bidwell but i know you can make an appointment to see them--they just don't have a store front per se. Sophie the pug is adorable and sooo funny! And their Bengal cat is gorgeous.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well I just bought some of that dry cat food at Petco - Royal Canin for Mature cats - the one I had a $3.00 coupon for. Toby upchucked it all within 20 minutes. Not a good thing. Guess I'm taking it back and sticking with PetGuard's dry food. Seems to be a lot less greasy.

When I went to Petco I was amazed that they had all this Eukanuba stacked up and sitting by the front door. I guess it's sitting there waiting to be taken away... wonder why it wasn't back at the delivery door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Well I just bought some of that dry cat food at Petco - Royal Canin for Mature cats - the one I had a $3.00 coupon for. Toby upchucked it all within 20 minutes. Not a good thing. Guess I'm taking it back and sticking with PetGuard's dry food. Seems to be a lot less greasy.
    Mira, did you mix it in gradually with his old food? If you switch their food all at once, It upsets their tummies. My experience is that they usually hurl a bit at first anyways, even when you mix it in, so I wouldn't necessarily give up on the food right away.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, I forgot that, ManxMouse. Funny... it didn't happen when I switched to PetGuard. I think that's why I'll go back to it. I noticed when I poured out the Royal Canin that it was rather greasy, esp. compared to the PetGuard, should have been more cautious. He seems fine now, though I'd rather feed him something less greasy. I'm sure it's a good brand, but he's twelve and I really don't want him eating things that are that greasy.

Yeah, I forgot that, ManxMouse. Funny... it didn't happen when I switched to PetGuard. I think that's why I'll go back to it. I noticed when I poured out the Royal Canin that it was rather greasy, esp. compared to the PetGuard, should have been more cautious. He seems fine now, though I'd rather feed him something less greasy. I'm sure it's a good brand, but he's twelve and I really don't want him eating things that are that greasy.
    ah, I see. LOVE your sig pic and quote, by the way! Looks like my 15-yr old cat, Dolemite.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dolemite! Very original name. As in Vitamin D or some mineral or something?! lol

Dolemite! Very original name. As in Vitamin D or some mineral or something?! lol
    Actually, it was because of this blaxploitation hero from the '70s:
    Dolemite Dot Com : all pimpin all the time Long story. However, my cat's name is really spelled (accidentally on my part) Dolomite--which is in fact a mineral, and also a mountain range in Italy. He's called Do'mite for short. I love him so much, he's so odd!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

well hell learn sumpthin' new every day... didn't know about that mountain range...

I want to cook for my pets, but am not sure how to do it. Just cook up a few chickens, mix it with rice and stock, freeze it in portions, is that good enough? I can of course put some cooked vegies and other grains in there, but does anyone know what is safe...I know cats and dogs have different nutritional needs, and some foods and medicines cause problems. I.E. small doses of aspirin will help dogs, but poison cats. Stuff like that...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can understand your wanting to do this, Reptillycus, but it just seems like a lot of effort to make when there are brands out there that are not part of the recall.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well thank goodness my cats food hasnt been added to the ever-growing list; but still i worry insanely.

Pet owners likely to get little in lawsuits

Pet owners likely to get little in suits - Yahoo! News

Pet owners are not likely to get much compensation if they individually sue pet food-maker Menu Foods over the death of a dog or cat, although they might fare better if they joined forces in a class action suit, legal experts say.
    Most state laws consider animals — even beloved pets — to be only personal property. That means that even for the loss of a faithful family companion, a successful civil lawsuit would not likely produce much reward, said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond.
    "With animals, all you get is the value of the property," he said. "There are no emotional damages."
    In early March, Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of its "cuts and gravy" style wet pet foods, sold under nearly 100 store labels and major brands across North America. It did so after cats fell sick and died during routine company taste tests.
    It is not clear how many pets may have been poisoned by the apparently contaminated food, although anecdotal reports suggest hundreds if not thousands have died. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received more than 8,000 complaints while the company has fielded 300,000 calls from consumers. The company has only confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog. There is no central database tracking pet deaths in the United States.
    Numerous pet owners around the country have sued or are considering legal action against Menu Foods. Some are seeking class action status.
    "I would love to find an attorney to take on this company," said Brenda Hitchcock of Tampa, Fla. Hitchcock said she racked up $4,000 in veterinarian bills trying to save her 5-year-old cat "S.S." to no avail. She said she still has two pouches of the recalled food to prove her case.
    Ontario-based Menu Foods has taken a low-key approach to the recall, expressing concern for people who have lost pets and offering to pay veterinary bills if a pet's illness or death can be directly linked to the food, but admitting no wrongdoing.
    Jack Hall, a product liability lawyer from Pittsburgh, said the owner of a dog or cat used for breeding or of a specially trained animal could argue for higher compensation on the basis of lost potential earnings.
    Hall said pet owners would fare better if they joined in a class action suit.
    "I would think this kind of case would allow itself to a class action. That could work for somebody here," he said.
    Still, Tobias said even a class-action suit could be tricky.
    "The factual variations in the cases will make it very difficult to form a class action," he said. "Will people have the proof they need to trace the harm done to the animal back to Menu Foods?"
    Dog and cat food sales in the United States reached over $14.3 billion in 2005, according to the Pet Food Institute that represents manufacturers of commercial pet food.
    On Friday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said recalled pet foods contained melamine, a chemical used to make plastics, but that its tests failed to confirm the presence of a rat poison, aminopterin, reported by the New York State Food Laboratory. The FDA said it also found melamine in wheat gluten used as an ingredient in the wet-style products. Still, it was not immediately clear whether the melamine was the culprit in the deaths.
    "We are angered that a source outside the company has adulterated our product," Menu Foods Chief Executive Paul Henderson said Friday.
    Nestle Purina PetCare Co. said Saturday it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China.

Also on Saturday, Del Monte Pet Products announced it was voluntarily recalling some of its dog and cat treats with certain date codes. The affected brands are Jerky Treats Beef Flavor Dog Snacks, Gravy Train Beef Sticks Dog Snacks and Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist Chicken Flavor Cat Treats. The company said two other products sold under private labels also are affected: Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Jerky Strips Dog Treats and Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Snack Stick Dog Treats.
    Del Monte said it was recalling the food after learning that the wheat gluten supplied to it from a Chinese plant contained melamine. Henderson insisted his company's products are safe and undergo the "highest levels" of testing.

Recall expanded again. Now includes foods from the Canadian plant.
    cbs5.com - Pet Food Recall Expanded To Canada Plant

And isn't this interesting:

"The CFO of Menu Foods, Mark Wiens, sold about half of his shares in the company three weeks before the poisoned pet food recall was announced, Canadian insider trading reports show. In Canada's Globe and Mail, Wiens called it a "horrible coincidence."
    Here's another horrible coincidence: Menu Foods also waited three weeks after discovering the kitty and doggy deaths before announcing the recall.
    Wow, so that means Wiens sold his stocks at the same time the contamination was discovered, but before anyone else knew about it."
    Menu Foods Exec Sold Half His Shares 3 Weeks Before Recall - Consumerist

"horrible coincidence." my arse.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

string 'im up! Or feed him the contaminated food.

My brother lost his cat Angel. It's just him, his girlfriend and their two cats, but Angel was my brother's cat. She died in his arms, it was too sad, he just held her crying and crying. I know in Chicago there is a class action suit that people have filed. It's really strange this happened to Angel because my brother's girlfriend makes animal treats and sells them for a living.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information