Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

I don't know. Our local animal shelter had to throw out a bunch of food and is looking for donations. I'm heading over tomorrow with a bag or two.

Menu Foods only makes wet foods (cans/pouches) so if some dry food is being recalled, that would mean that some other manufacturer is also using this gluten as well? What about human processed foods?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Elite Member

you know, we are cooking for our pets these days and only buying small amounts of organic foods to mix with the home-cooked stuff..i think that is the only safe thing to do at the moment...most people i know don't trust either the dry or non-dry pet foods right now..and twitchy i have no idea about the human processed foods..for myself i'm thinking maybe time to start a home garden lol

I'm afraid...very afraid. I can't bear to lose my babies. They never had any of the original recalls since I only feed them dry food and now this! I'm giong to begin a search tomorrow for organic food and not thru the traditional PetSmart, PetCo, etc. I don't think any of us can be too careful at this point.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

This just breaks my heart. I can't imagine what the people are going through who lost their animals.

I used to feed my baby Iams until someone told me several years ago that they had switched manufacturers and that the quality was going to go down. Iams used to only be available in pet food stores here and then all of a sudden it was available at the grocery store and that was when they switched. My kitty get Innova now--wonderful food and company. It's better than the food i eat!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well thats decent that they're going to pay for bills and other costs, but at the same time there is no amount money that replaces the pet imho; their love and companionship and feeling guilty about the pain they went through and reliving it in your head over and over and the sadness you still feel years later ... there's just no kind of $ that can make it better (im speaking from experience when my baby died at only 1 year old from poor health), but its at least decent that the company in the yahoo article is going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    This just breaks my heart. I can't imagine what the people are going through who lost their animals.

I used to feed my baby Iams until someone told me several years ago that they had switched manufacturers and that the quality was going to go down. Iams used to only be available in pet food stores here and then all of a sudden it was available at the grocery store and that was when they switched. My kitty get Innova now--wonderful food and company. It's better than the food i eat!
    Innova is packed with carbs, tho, just like the cheap brands, and cats can't properly digest carbs. I thought it was the greatest food, too, until my cats got fat and sick. I switched them to the expensive vet food, Hill's, but now some of that has been recalled too. I've already spend nearly $1,200 in vet bills -- I can't spend much more.

Considering how expensive this food is, it makes me wonder why the companies import the cheapest stuff from China for ingredients. Remember, China is a country with virtually no labor or food standards -- everything is done for the bottom line. That kind of greed and lack of responsibility makes me sick.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've cooked Elmo home-made meals tonight. 3 batches. One is chicken and some green beans, second one chicken and carrots, third one is chicken and berries (yea weird combo...but Elmo still ate it) all 3 got some potatoes in the mix, too. Bought some chicken thighs as KrisNine suggested. I don't know much about canine nutrition so I'd still like to find a decent priced dry food to mix my home-made stuff with.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I need to check PetGuard's website again. They posted at the top of their home page that they are not affected. I haven't been paying attention to this because of that.

Well I just checked and it's still there. I know it's not available at just every store. I buy it at Market of Choice and Lamb's Thriftway... both are a bit higher-end than other supermarkets. Freddie's probably carries it now too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Innova is packed with carbs, tho, just like the cheap brands, and cats can't properly digest carbs. I thought it was the greatest food, too, until my cats got fat and sick. I switched them to the expensive vet food, Hill's, but now some of that has been recalled too. I've already spend nearly $1,200 in vet bills -- I can't spend much more.
    I have a red-point siamese (same as you, right? ) and she is old and starting kidney failure. She also has a very sensitive stomach. She wasn't able to tolerate Hills for some reason. My vet said i should feed her whatever she will eat, with the hope that she may be able to maintain some of her weight, as she will lose it the more her her kidneys deteriorate .

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I've cooked Elmo home-made meals tonight. 3 batches. One is chicken and some green beans, second one chicken and carrots, third one is chicken and berries (yea weird combo...but Elmo still ate it) all 3 got some potatoes in the mix, too. Bought some chicken thighs as KrisNine suggested. I don't know much about canine nutrition so I'd still like to find a decent priced dry food to mix my home-made stuff with.

Moomies (and Pacific Breeze and other locals). I just realized that my neighbours have a natural pet food business they run out of their apartment. The website is Welcome to MomoFood.com, Natural & Healthy Treats and Raw Food for Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets. . I know they are cool guys and their pets are adorable --including Sophie, the crazy pug! Might be an option.

More foods being recalled:
    Purina in U.S. recalls Alpo in widening pet food scare
    Purina in U.S. recalls Alpo in widening pet food scare

Nestlé Purina PetCare Canada is telling customers its products are safe after company officials in the U.S. announced a recall of dog food that may contain a chemical forbidden in pet food.
    The recall south of the border affects all sizes and varieties of Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.
    U.S.-based Purina said that wheat gluten containing melamine, a chemical used in fertilizers in Asia and to make plastics and laminates, was provided for the manufacturing of the dog food by the same company that also supplied Ontario-based Menu Foods.
    The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities in the U.S., the company said.
    Consumers are urged to immediately stop feeding their dogs Alpo Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed on the company's website and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

Mississauga-based Menu Foods and the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the pet food industry in the U.S., have refused to identify the company that supplied the contaminated wheat gluten.
    Purina Canada issued a news release Saturday, saying pet owners can continue to feed their animals all of its Canadian wet and dry products, including but not limited to the following brands:
    • Pro Plan.
    • Friskies.
    • Purina ONE.
    • Fancy Feast.
    • Dog Chow.
    • Purina Veterinarian Diets.
    • Cat Chow.
    • All Purina Branded Treats.
    • Beneful.
    • Alpo.
    In mid-March, Menu Foods recalled "cuts and gravy"-style dog and cat food in cans and pouches manufactured at two U.S. facilities between Dec. 3, 2006, and March 6 after it received a number of complaints from customers.
    Since then, there have been 16 confirmed suspicious deaths of cats and dogs in the U.S. The animals suffered kidney failure after apparently eating products by Menu Foods.
    The recall affected 53 brands of dog food and 42 brands of cat food sold under private-label and supermarket house brands across North America.
    Menu Foods has said it thought one of the food's ingredients used to thicken the gravy in the cuts and gravy-style food, wheat gluten, was the source of the toxin. The company had been receiving the wheat gluten from a new supplier, which it has since dropped.
    Hill's Pet Nutrition said late Friday that its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food included the tainted wheat gluten. The FDA said the source was the same unidentified company. Hill's, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co., is so far the only company to recall any dry pet food.
    The cat food in question is sold in both Canada and the United States.

The Purina site:
    Alpo® Brand Prime Cuts In Gravy Canned Dog Food Voluntary Nationwide Recall | Purina.com
    scroll down to see codes of recalled food.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have a coupon for Petco for a brand they sell called Royal Canin. The Royal Canin website says their stuff isn't being recalled. Guess I'll buy it since the coupon runs out tomorrow.

Petco also carries Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance food, which is supposed to be a very good food. Meat-based, and no corn, wheat, filler, or by-products. I switched my cats from (L)Iams to this and they seem to love it, wet and dry.

Moomies (and Pacific Breeze and other locals). I just realized that my neighbours have a natural pet food business they run out of their apartment. The website is Welcome to MomoFood.com, Natural & Healthy Treats and Raw Food for Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets. . I know they are cool guys and their pets are adorable --including Sophie, the crazy pug! Might be an option.
    Thanks for the info. I fed my cats raw food for the past two years, then the Siamese boy developed some problems that the vet said was because of the food. I kind of doubt it now, because everything else he told us turned out to be wrong. I'll check out your neighbours' site.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Awww, they have a pug!

I'm a little worried about raw food. I read that dogs have special enzymes to breakdown bacteria and what not (e.g the ones that would make humans sick) but I'd want to feed my Elmo cooked meat. I'll visit your neighbour's store when I get a chance. It looks like it's downtown, maybe just several blocks away from where we live.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information