Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

Did everyone see the head Vet on NBC news the other night? She was warning 1) this could have started as long as 6 months ago (!)
    and they are just now piecing it together and 2) do not go overboard and try to give your pet all home-cooked because it has to have a very complex balance for the proper life span. Look on NBC!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

OK...please clarify for me. I thought only the canned food by those manufacturers was tainted. My 2 dogs and 1 cat get only dry food. Eukanuba for the dogs for a while but I've switched to Benaful (sp?) which they LOVE and Nature's Recipe Lamb & Rice. However, I do feed them treats...Healthy Select Peanut Biscuits manufactured by PetCo (they go crazy for them). My elderly cat is Purina Cat Chow all the way, switching between the different flavors..most recently the Indoor formula which has whole greens. Do I need to be concerned about the earlier Eukanuba even though it was the dry food??? And the treats...are they at risk too?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I believe the recall was for wet food/pouches only but I wouldn't trust those brands listed anymore... I'm prolly more paranoid than I should be but my puggy is very important to me!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Thanks Moomies...me too! I just wanted to make sure there was no reason to be concerned about the dry Eukanuba I used to feed them....at least 3-6 months ago. (I'm still grieving over my Aussie I lost to cancer almost 4 yrs ago )

That's how I am now. I don't trust any of the listed brands. We've switched to Natural Balance dry and Natural Balance, Wellness and Merrick canned (as well as our homemade food).

same here...we got rid of anything that had those names on...dry food, wet food...we even went through all the treats to see who they were distributed by and who made them, i never fed hemi anything but pedigree, but zorro was eating eukanuba for a while and science diet, even though science diet is only on the cat food list, we still threw it out...id rather be safe (and possibly insane) then sorry
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I just found this on yahoo...at first i was thinking, OMG WHAT IS THIS WOMAN THINKING?!?! then i read it..smart lady, i wouldnt spend that..but i never thought of listing it in the newspapers

Woman buys over $1K in tainted pet food

BEAUFORT, S.C. - A woman said she was so worried about reports of tainted pet food she spent more than $1,000 buying all the product she could find at her local Wal-Mart. Margaret Trask said she filled a shopping cart full of canned pet food made by Canadian company Menu Foods at the Beaufort Wal-Mart after hearing about the recall Friday.
    She returned Wednesday morning to buy more food and came back that night to buy even more, but Trask said store officials asked her to leave. She said store employees were taking some of the food off the shelves.
    Trask plans to throw the food away so no animals eat it. She figures she spent more than $1,000.
    Some of the 60 million cans and pouches of food have been blamed for kidney failure in scores of animals and killed at least 16 pets.
    Not all the food Trask bought was included in the recall.
    Trask also took out classified ads in at least two local newspapers, listing all off the recall pet food brands.
    "A lot of people don't know about the recall," Trask said. "I don't know what else to do."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Not taking the stuff off the shelves until the woman's actions drew attention to it? WTF?!

Someone in the Wake Up WalMart community will definitely take notce of this.. in fact I'm going to email them right now.

Just noting yet one more piece of evidence against WalMart.

now my aunt just called me and said they just showed on the news that at 1pm there will be a press conference about the recall...they believe there might have been rat poison in the food...this just makes me sick to my stomach every time i hear something more about it

from nbc10.com

News Conference Expected This Afternoon On Latest Development:
    The Associated Press reports: Rodent poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday. Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison. State agriculture officials scheduled a news conference Friday afternoon to release laboratory findings from tests on the pet food conducted this week. The deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been reports of kidney failure, some fatal, in pets that ate the recalled brands. The company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog. Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

OMFG whoever put rat food in those products should BURN IN HELL! IN FACT WHEN THEY FIND HIS ASS I WILL CUT HIM MYSELF! So fucking infuriating! how the hell can you try to hurt harmless pets!?! thats like messing with children and you have to be a real sick fuck to do that shit!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Not taking the stuff off the shelves until the woman's actions drew attention to it? WTF?!

Someone in the Wake Up WalMart community will definitely take notce of this.. in fact I'm going to email them right now.

Just noting yet one more piece of evidence against WalMart.
    hi mira..let us know if they respond..this pet food thing is getting so out of hand

Okay, I am not understanding the site. When I go to it all I see are the names of the stores, I want the product names that are harmful.
    Like Friskee's and Alpo, are those okay?

I think some brands like Friskees (which is made by Nestle) did a voluntary recall of some products because they were made by Menu Foods. Try this link: Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting

Under product information, click on dog or cat food and you should see the list of effected foods. If you click on the food name, you'll be able to see the exact package information such as the date of manufacture, etc.

^ Okay thanks.

RAT POISON! NOOOO. Maybe this was accidental?

Pedigree is safe. I am still toally shocked by Eukanuba! This is beyond awful. A family here was on the news-they just lost their sweet tabby. They still had the food they fed her in little cans. Her favorite was the salmon. The man felt awful-he fed her himself. Such an agony for them!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information