Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    will peta allow meat in any of it's approved products? I've heard that it's unsafe to make a cat a vegetarian.

Please post if you can
    hi kris, i don't think naturally carnivorous animals should be vegetarian either, but as pets they can be fed foods where the meat is organic/safe/healthy, some of the brands i have heard are ok:

Innova
    Solid Gold
    Wellness
    Eagle Pack
    Canidae/Felidae
    Natural Balance
    Natural Life
    Paul Newman
    Azmirah

i think places like whole foods and trader joes are selling these brands..my mom mixes the store food with home-made batches of rice and meat, so it becomes much less expensive....hope that helps a bit...

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

gawd i love Paul Newman; i always feel so good eating his stuff and giving my $ to his causes!
    the 1 good thing that can come out of this is that ppl will put more thought into what they feed their animals and appreciate them more b/c you never know when something like this might happen! and i'm not blaming owners at all; im just saying it will bring awareness hopefully

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've just cooked some chicken breast and potatoes (and a bit of beans and one muchroom) for my Elmies. I basically boiled them suckas and put it in the food processor after draining the water and added to his dog food that he usually refuses to eat. He devoured it He hadn't been eating well lately cuz he hates that dog food and his poops have been tiny. Anyway, I'll be expecting a normal sized poop now.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^ awww thats so sweet of u; cooking for yur baby!

Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    hi kris, i don't think naturally carnivorous animals should be vegetarian either, but as pets they can be fed foods where the meat is organic/safe/healthy, some of the brands i have heard are ok:

Innova
    Solid Gold
    Wellness
    Eagle Pack
    Canidae/Felidae
    Natural Balance
    Natural Life
    Paul Newman
    Azmirah

i think places like whole foods and trader joes are selling these brands..my mom mixes the store food with home-made batches of rice and meat, so it becomes much less expensive....hope that helps a bit...
    Thanks for posting this list I purchased Merrick, Natural Balance and Prarie for Josie and for my cats I got Natural Balance and Wellness. They love the Wellness You can find a lot of these at the smaller pet stores or you can go to the individual website and do a store locator.

BTW - I've heard that dogs can actually eat a vegetarian diet, but cats should eat more meat, almost a pure meat diet. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ awww thats so sweet of u; cooking for yur baby!
    Yea it was kinda fun but I don't know if I'll be able to do this long term or as often as I'd like. It would be kinda expensive? I usually buy meat and poultry in bulk from Costco but was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy from a local butcher? I've bought pig/beef liver from a butcher for Elmo before. I'll try and budget this out.
    I'll need to learn canine nutrition and things. Maybe cooking for him is for the best as he is getting older and all, I want him to live long and healthy.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Here's a really good site for pet recipes....

Dog recipes and treats, cook for your dog!

Moomies...my vet told us the best meat was actually thigh meat because our dogs need the extra fat. I buy the bulk pack at Costco which is about $13 or $14 bucks here.

oh yay, I'll try some of those recipes. Thanks Krisnine.
    Ok, I'll get some chicken thighs for my Elmos. I only had chicken breast in the freezer today.

yeah, the thighs are a little more economical. Plus, I add rice, oatmeal and veggies which stretch it a little more too.

this just keeps getting worse....2 more names added to the dog list

Stop & Shop Companion
    Tops Companion

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    1 good thing that can come out of this is that ppl will put more thought into what they feed their animals and appreciate them more b/c you never know when something like this might happen! and i'm not blaming owners at all; im just saying it will bring awareness hopefully
    i agree alice...maybe things will improve little by little..

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've been feeding my cat PetGuard for about 4-5 months now... no problems and I don't expect any as it's a high quality one. I just went to their website and at the top it says they are NOT affected by the recall. PetGuard - Natural Pet Food, Nutritional holistic organic dog cat care

It's an expensive holistic brand that is carried at the new grocery store down the road... a slightly upscale place which carries only a very few brands of pet food. I thought I would try it even though it was very expensive because I was out and needed some right away. Price has come down since.

The reason I buy it is he eats every single bit and nothing is wasted like with other brands. A tall can costs around $1.59 and will last forever in the fridge. He will eat it whereas other refrigerated cans (Friskies, Whiskas, Trader Joe's Tuna) he won't touch after they are 4-5 days old.

pets shouldnt really eat that gravy shit anyway; maybe as a special suprise every now and again, but its not good for them in general.

UPDATE:
    Pet owners file class-action suit over tainted food
    Story Highlights

• Lawsuit claims manufacturer produced, distributed dangerous pet food
    • Plaintiff says she has spent $3,000 on veterinary care for sick cat
    • Menu Foods doesn't comment on suit, offers condolences to pet owners
    • Recall announced March 16 after cats and dogs suffer renal failure

MADISON, Wisconsin (CNN) -- More than 95 pet owners have joined a class-action lawsuit against Menu Foods Inc., saying it produced and distributed pet food that might be dangerous, and possibly deadly, to animals.

Jacqueline Johnson of Madison, Wisconsin, filed the suit Tuesday. The complaint contends her gray tabby, Gumbie, became ill after eating food from an Iams Select Bites pouch in early February. Gumbie became lethargic, refused food and lost weight, she said, and a veterinarian diagnosed acute renal failure. The cat was "pet-hospitalized" and prescribed intravenous fluids.

Johnson told CNN she considers herself lucky. "Thankfully we got her to the vet in time. My cat was very ill, but there are lots of people around the country whose pets have died or been euthanized."

Since coming home, Gumbie has required a great deal of care. "It is stressful to have to stick a needle in the cat every day," said Johnson, who has had to administer daily subcutaneous fluid-and-drip injections since bringing Gumbie home.

Gumbie is likely to require medical tests and monitoring every few months, and Johnson expects this will increase her expenses considerably. She said she already has paid more than $3,000 in veterinary bills.

Johnson's attorney, Frank Jablonski of Progressive Law Group, said more than 95 people have joined the suit since it was filed, and he expects many more.

"We have all the clients we need," he said. "We wouldn't bring a lawsuit that we are not confident we will win." The lawsuit is seeking an unspecified amount of damages. Courts will have to certify the class and what venue will hear the case.

Menu Foods spokesperson Sam Bornstein declined to comment on the lawsuit, but said the company has received tens of thousands of consumer inquiries and is doing its best to respond to them. "Our hearts go out to many thousands of pet owners, some of them for their losses and some for their worry," he said.

Menu Foods announced the precautionary recall on March 16. The recall affects dog and cat food manufactured between December 3 and March 6, and is limited to "cuts and gravy" style pet food in cans and pouches produced at its plants in Kansas and New Jersey. The food is packaged under a wide variety of brand names.

Both the Food and Drug Administration and Menu Foods have been unable to identify the root cause of the problem, but the FDA said Tuesday that officials were focusing on a recent supply of wheat gluten as the likely culprit.

Recalled cat foods
    Americas Choice, Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Eukanuba; Fine Feline Cat; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Iams; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Meijer's Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Pet Pride; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority US; Save-A-Lot Special Blend; Schnucks; Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans; Sophistacat; Special Kitty Canada; Special Kitty US; Springfield Prize; Sprout; Stop & Shop Companion; Tops Companion; Wegmans; Weis Total Pet; Western Family US; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.

Recalled dog foods
    America's Choice, Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Eukanuba; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Iams; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Meijer's Main Choice; Mighty Dog Pouch; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro Ultra; Nutro; Ol'Roy Canada; Ol'Roy US; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride - Good n Meaty; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority Canada; Priority US; Publix; Roche Brothers; Save-A-Lot Choice Morsels; Schnucks; Springfield Prize; Sprout; Stater Brothers; Stop & Shop Companion; Tops Companion; Wegmans Bruiser; Weis Total Pet; Western Family US; White Rose; Winn Dixie; and Your Pet.

More details on the products involved in the recall is available online at Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting or by calling 866-895-2708.

Find this article at:
    Pet owners file class-action suit over tainted food - CNN.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information