Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet food recall!

One woman has a redpoint Siamese just like mine. She's already spent $6,000 to save him, but the vet said he will likely only last six months. How horrible. I can't imagine it.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ i know exactly; it is soooo heartbreaking I just couldnt imagine that kind of pain

I'm watching my cats like a hawk because I fed them the food that has been recalled. The Nutro Natural Choice. I fed it to them as a treat in addition to the crunchy, dry food that is always available to them. This burns me up to no end. I thought I was doing the right thing and now this! God, I'm so pissed and angry! Last night, we switched everyone, dogs and cats to some new foods that are natural and not affected by the recall. These are wholesome foods that you could basically eat yourself.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Ok, let me get this straight, Nutro is being recalled, too?
    I understand that the manufacturer is MenuFoods but they sell their pet foods under different names and such?

Ok, I looked at the list and yea that's so dissapoining! But Elmo had finished his Nutro a long long time ago so I'm hoping he's ok. The MenuFoods website was down when I first read this thread so I didn't know of all the different pet foods they produced. Here I'll cut and paste it.

Dog Food

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
    2. Authority
    3. Award
    4. Best Choice
    5. Big Bet
    6. Big Red
    7. Bloom
    8. Wegmans Bruiser
    9. Cadillac
    10. Companion
    11. Demoulas Market Basket
    12. Eukanuba
    13. Food Lion
    14. Giant Companion
    15. Great Choice
    16. Hannaford
    17. Hill Country Fare
    18. Hy-Vee
    19. Iams
    20. Laura Lynn
    21. Loving Meals
    22. Meijers Main Choice
    23. Mighty Dog Pouch
    24. Mixables
    25. Nutriplan
    26. Nutro Max
    27. Nutro Natural Choice
    28. Nutro Ultra
    29. Nutro
    30. Ol'Roy Canada
    31. Ol'Roy US
    32. Paws
    33. Pet Essentials
    34. Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
    35. Presidents Choice
    36. Price Chopper
    37. Priority Canada
    38. Priority US
    39. Publix
    40. Roche Brothers
    41. Save-A-Lot
    42. Schnucks
    43. Shep Dog
    44. Springsfield Prize
    45. Sprout
    46. Stater Brothers
    47. Stop & Shop Companion
    48. Tops Companion
    49. Weis Total Pet
    50. Western Family US
    51. White Rose
    52. Winn Dixie
    53. Your Pet
    Cat Food

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
    2. Authority
    3. Best Choice
    4. Companion
    5. Compliments
    6. Demoulas Market Basket
    7. Eukanuba
    8. Fine Feline Cat
    9. Food Lion
    10. Foodtown
    11. Giant Companion
    12. Hannaford
    13. Hill Country Fare
    14. Hy-Vee
    15. Iams
    16. Laura Lynn
    17. Li'l Red
    18. Loving Meals
    19. Meijer's Main Choice
    20. Nutriplan
    21. Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
    22. Nutro Natural Choice
    23. Paws
    24. Pet Pride
    25. Presidents Choice
    26. Price Chopper
    27. Priority US
    28. Save-A-Lot
    29. Schnucks
    30. Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
    31. Sophistacat
    32. Special Kitty Canada
    33. Special Kitty US
    34. Springfield Prize
    35. Sprout
    36. Stop & Shop Companion
    37. Tops Companion
    38. Wegmans
    39. Weis Total Pet
    40. Western Family US
    41. White Rose
    42. Winn Dixie

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Here's the food that I found last night. It was at one of the smaller, independent pet food retailers. I did some research over the weekend and this food kept coming up as one of the best. You remember Dick Van Patten from Eight is Enough...well, he's developed pet food and this is it. Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1

I think Elmo's tried Natural Balance before. I'll pick up a bag when I go to the pet store next time. In the mean time I think I'll cook him some chicken breast cuz I'm paranoid and all that!!!!!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Elite Member

you guys, not to be a downer, but i learned from a poster named chicklette on another board (sf) that most pet food is made of very bad stuff--they grind up dead/disabled/dying/diseased animals along with roadkill and dead cats and dogs too, then they sterilize it and sell it and make lots of money

so, if you really want to feed your pets good and nutritious food, only use peta-approved brands that have not been tested on animals and do not use these dreadful and unethical ingredients.

my mom has 3 dogs and was quite unhappy to learn this info so for her i have been researching this, and i have been compiling a list of brands that are good and safe, i will be happy to post it if anyones' interested (it's basically the list chicklette posted at sf plus a few others i found at whole foods and whatnot.)

ok.

will peta allow meat in any of it's approved products? I've heard that it's unsafe to make a cat a vegetarian.

Please post if you can

Gold Member

I feed my dog Natural Balance, it's good but pricey. I feed my other dog and cat Nature's Recipe which isn't on the recall list. Overall I've been happy with that brand. Paul Newman makes dog food too and gives info about where he purchases the meat in his products. Innova is another company that makes good food. One time I thought there was a problem and the company had me mail a sample of the food to them. They studied it in a lab and were very professional about the whole thing. They seemed to really care about the quality of their food.

Everyone should also know that the company that is doing the recall just tested the food on 40/50 animals and seven died I am completely appalled about that.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

it looks like mostly the snacky crap food in gravy shit that you're not supposed to give your pets anyways so I lucked out.

I warned my mom and she just informed me that our dog is fed $100.00 special food for his special spoiled ass and i was like, "shit thats more than i spend on myself for groceries every month!"

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I feed my dog Natural Balance, it's good but pricey. I feed my other dog and cat Nature's Recipe which isn't on the recall list. Overall I've been happy with that brand. Paul Newman makes dog food too and gives info about where he purchases the meat in his products. Innova is another company that makes good food. One time I thought there was a problem and the company had me mail a sample of the food to them. They studied it in a lab and were very professional about the whole thing. They seemed to really care about the quality of their food.

Everyone should also know that the company that is doing the recall just tested the food on 40/50 animals and seven died I am completely appalled about that.
    I know!!! Which is a good reason to switch to these other brands. I also bought a couple of cans of Merrick, Prarie and Wellness. They all look excellent.

So your dog seems to like the Natural Balance?

Gold Member

I give her the salmon formula because she loves fish, but it is a heavy food. When I first gave it to her she was burping alot. It's been 2 mos and now she's seems pretty happy on it. At mealtime I give her a couple scoops of hard food and I put a small scoop of soft on top as a treat.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

We do the same for our doggie...she gets a couple scoops of dry and a few tablespoons of canned mixed in. My cats get the same thing, dry food and a spoon of wet for flavor

My Elmies is hating on the dog food I bought him. I gave a review of it in another thread, it's got herring I think. So I guess he's not much of a fishy kinda dog. I mix in some steamed rice, veggies or fruit just so he'd eat it (am I mean that I'm forcing him to eat what he doesn't like? That food was kinda expensive and was premium good shit!) And when I got lazy, I bought some Cesar and mixed that with his food. But I think I'll be cooking for him for a while until I get him better dog food.

We cook for Josie sometimes too. She loves the homemade food more than anything We use brown basmati rice, chicken, oatmeal, fresh peas, carrots and love

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information