Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parvo

Yeah, the virus lives in the poop, so anything that touches that infected poop can then transmit the virus to the dog. It doesn't have to be direct poop to dog transmission.

But parvo vaccines are one of those required vaccines for dog health. Properly vaccinated dogs should be okay.

Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear this
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your puppy. It's amazing how quickly they become part of our families.

Please discuss with your vet what to do before you bring another pup home. Parvo can live for months in the ground and unfortunately, your puppy has contaminated the areas she went to the bathroom and there needs to be clean up done before your yard is safe again.

My sister lost a little stray puppy she adopted just like that. We still are sad over it-such a waste! Hugs!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lori I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. It must be awful for you and your family.

I know it's probably too soon to think about this but, when you feel up to it, I'd definitely consider reporting your puppy breeder to the relevant authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    Lori I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. It must be awful for you and your family.

I know it's probably too soon to think about this but, when you feel up to it, I'd definitely consider reporting your puppy breeder to the relevant authorities.
    By all means. She is not a good breeder. I just thought of something-my sisters stay puppy that died? The vet told her this would not have happened if even the mother dog had been given shots.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Did the puppy come from a registered breeder or a puppy farm? A reputable breeder will have the puppy fully vaccinated before allowing it off the premises and give you the paperwork to prove it.

There's no need for dogs to get parvo in the first place if they are properly vaccinated.
    Yes she was a reg breeder, and gave me all the documentation, but I learned from my vet that most breeders give their own vaccines (as my did) and they do not store them properly which makes them basicly useless,
    Life is short....drink up!

I am so sorry to hear about your loss!! These fur babies become part of the family the second you take them home!

*A puppy can get parvo just from smelling the poo of a dog that has parvo. My vet told me that my baby that I adopted from a local shelter wasn't allowed to go to the dog park or leave the yard until all of her parvo shots were complete.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by lori359 View Post
    Yes she was a reg breeder, and gave me all the documentation, but I learned from my vet that most breeders give their own vaccines (as my did) and they do not store them properly which makes them basicly useless,
    Well in that case you might have some kind of redress with the breeder but that's not really the point if you've lost the dog. Might be worth telling her what happened and if she isn't suitably apologetic then perhaps the people she's registered with would be interested to know she's not doing the right thing. I'd be furious if I was told the puppy was properly vaccinated and turned out not to be. These shonky breeders must be held accountable when it's their animals' lives at stake, not to mention your distress (and expense).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well in that case you might have some kind of redress with the breeder but that's not really the point if you've lost the dog. Might be worth telling her what happened and if she isn't suitably apologetic then perhaps the people she's registered with would be interested to know she's not doing the right thing. I'd be furious if I was told the puppy was properly vaccinated and turned out not to be. These shonky breeders must be held accountable when it's their animals' lives at stake, not to mention your distress (and expense).
    I have already contacted the CKC who she is registered through, when I told her about it she had th nerve to say it was my fault! Uggg!

A*O

How is it your fault? Bollox! If she told you the dog was fully vaccinated and obviously wasn't then it's HER fault.
    Dame Edna Everage

How is it your fault? Bollox! If she told you the dog was fully vaccinated and obviously wasn't then it's HER fault.
    Not to mention the fact that parvo has a incubation period of 7-10 days before symptoms show, I only had her 5! Well I finally told her that if she did not refund me my money my attorneys were going to be contacting her. That got her attention and she claims I will have it by wednesday. If she doesn't now at least I have an email to use against her that states she will reimburse me, although my husband and I both would much rather brought her home healthy r egardless of vet bills. I definately will be more careful with choosing a breeder in the future.

A*O

Exactly. And it's not just about getting a refund. You have to wonder how many of the litter your puppy came from also had parvo with the same consequences. Even if you get your money back I would still be alerting the relevant kennel club that this breeder is making false representations on her puppies' paperwork.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information