Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Old Dog, New Dog

I don't think you should feel guilt at all. My theory is your old pet sends you the new one. I have no scientific proof of this, but have seen it happen too many times. Pet lives are short and the grief is awful,but too many pets are waiting for a home.
    Your old doggy was weary and needed her final rest. While she was jealous in life,her main aim was to see you happy and along come the newbie without even looking. You have room in your heart for both.
    I miss my darling Ginger still,but King has enriched my life just as she did. His owner dumped him in a kill shelter which sounds heartless,but I am grateful she did. That dog makes me laugh every day,just like Ginger.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

^i agree - don't feel guilty. your beloved dog would want you to be happy and bestow all the love you have to give on a new special puppy! congratulations on the new baby and *hugs*.
    olivia likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

They are both lovely. Give the new dog a chance.
    I lost my cat 7 years ago and I never adopted another one. I regret that and every time I see a cute animal my heart melts and I feel something is missing, but also that I need more time, or that I won't be able to handle another loss.
    I DO know that when I finally get another pet, I will feel stupid for waiting so long.
    olivia likes this.

palta - just get another cat. Don't feel stupid; there are hundreds of cats/dogs that need a home. Go find one and adopt it.
    Kittylady, olivia and faithanne like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I understand Olivia. I lost my doggy soul mate 13 months ago and I'm still not ready to think about another dog, even though my husband and boys talks about it all the time. I won't even go to a shelter or to PetsMart on the weekends because I know they have adoptable dogs there. And I'm a firm believer that a house is just not right without furbabies. Think of yourself as lucky that you've found a new one already, so don't close off your heart to her.
    KrisNine and olivia like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    They are both lovely. Give the new dog a chance.
    I lost my cat 7 years ago and I never adopted another one. I regret that and every time I see a cute animal my heart melts and I feel something is missing, but also that I need more time, or that I won't be able to handle another loss.
    I DO know that when I finally get another pet, I will feel stupid for waiting so long.
    Palta,please! There are so many cats desperate for homes here they are giving them away 2 at a time in one shelter.
    Stop waiting and just go wander through a shelter. You will know your new baby instantly. What if the reverse happened and no one adopted your well-loved cat? Your new kitty has been waiting just for you.
    olivia likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I know. I will. I wrote that because I'm ready now.
    I used to take care of abandoned cats and find homes for them.
    I found my cat on the street one night and took her home because she had a collar on and I thought she was lost, but I never could find her previous owner so I kept her.
    olivia and Novice like this.

I know I've mentioned this here before, but when I lost my Josie I was devastated. She was 12 and my best friend. My love for her was so pure. I knew that no other dog would ever replace her, but I also knew I had to have a dog in my life. I rescued my boy Toby one month later. Of course, I don't feel the same way about him as I felt about Josie, but that goes for everything. I love him just as much, but in a different way, the same way we are with people. Everyone is different, so our feelings are different. Josie would have hated Toby!! She was a fiercely loyal dog and didn;t want to share us. Toby is a typical shelter/rescue dog. He just wants love from anyone that will give it to him

Anyway, the thing that I've posted here before was something along the lines of not getting another dog is like dishonoring your old dog because it means the experience wasn't worth repeating.

Both of your babies are beautiful and I love the name Moose. I had a Moose. He was a big old cat.
    Brookie, olivia and Mrs P like this.

Gorgeous girls! (I like the name Moose!)
    olivia likes this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Elite Member

Thank you all so much! It's been so helpful reading about your experiences with losing and adopting again. I thought I was going a little nuts there. Honestly, after all the advise here I'm going to be fine. It's just a process, I guess.

Today I was able to read her full medical report from the Humane Society. Her litter was found in very bad shape, dumped on a road somewhere. They were given IV fluids immediately and pills to rejuvenate their digestive floral. They were covered in fleas and flea eggs. They weren't sent to their foster homes for nearly a week.

So now I feel like a savior rather than an emotional cheater, which is good.

I can't say enough good about the local Humane Society. Moose (or Pippa, the new possible name from the husband) was completely socialized because of their foster program for puppies. She sits. She's beginning to tell us when she needs to pee. She is really a fine dog. My vet said he would take her home in a heart beat.

Here are a couple more photos of her. She's a sweet girl.

CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Aww she's lovely and Lizzy was gorgeous

I hope you call her Moose
    olivia likes this.

She's got the same face/markings as my dog,only mine doesn'thave the splash of white on top of his head.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm sure she'll bring you much joy.
    olivia likes this.

I can't believe she lived! What a nightmare situation. Bless her tiny puppy heart and bless you for giving her a real home.
    olivia likes this.

How cute is that sweet puppy? And to think of her rough start... I'm so glad she found you Olivia.
    olivia and Bluebonnet like this.

Olivia, you can't think in the terms that your passed pet would/wouldn't want you to adopt; you need to think about Moose's needs (for a home, for loving & caring fur-parents, etc), if you are willing to adopt her. She needs 110% commitment from you (both), otherwise it's not fair to her.

Having said all that, I can't imagine how hard it is to lose Lizzy. I'm a newish dog owner, would never have one before but now she's my best friend, as loopy as she is! MrN occasionally "jokes" about rehousing her (yes he's a twat), and he is always told that he'll be rehomed before she is.
    olivia and KrisNine like this.
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information