Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: NSFW Fat Asshole "Sportsman" (may be distressing, I'm disgusted)

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Then why do you call them Petards?
    I'm not A*O, but I'll take a stab at that question. PETA, in my opinion, is an extremist group. A radical group. One of my favorite stupid stories about PETA is that two men were traveling through NJ (my state) to attend a protest about killing deer .....

Just a little backstory, NJ is notorious for being the most densely populated state in the US. It's also notorious for our extremely overloaded population of white-tailed deer. The state is pretty "generous" with its hunting seasons (bow and arrow (also known as tree stand season), muzzleloader, shotgun, doe day, etc.) to combat the huge deer population. In some towns though, it's just not possible to have hunters shooting deer in such densely populated towns/cities. Princeton is a well known town like this ... Princeton officials are constantly under fire for hiring "professional" hunters who actually put a bolt in the deer's brain to kill it instantly. They honestly have no other choice ... they have way too many deer, but are way too populated to let just anyone shoot a shotgun in the town. And if you're wondering why the deer must be culled, you've never been in Jersey driving at night when a herd just comes out of nowhere. Your car is instantly totaled and you're lucky if you just break a wrist or something instead of being killed too. During rutting season, the highways and Parkway are littered with deer carcasses and each one could have been a human fatality at worst, a totaled car at best. I've hit one deer in my life (totaled a brand new dealer car with about 23 miles on it) and have had countless near misses, one in particular where my ALBS failed and I went sliding down a back road sideways.

So about the two idiots that came to Jersey to protest the killing of deer. They came to their rally, stayed a bit (I think it was for dinner with colleagues) and then left after dark. A deer came out of nowhere, they slammed into it (it's really not a choice), totaled their car and then ............ sued the NJ Fish and Wildlife department for not controlling the deer population well enough (which can only happen by culling the deer). True moronic story. I am an animal lover but I hate PETA. If that story doesn't do it for you, I have more.

It's true. My friend works as an independent contractor for PETA and even she admits a lot of them are crazy and their politics are extreme, and as such, achieve exactly the opposite of what they intend.

PETA is a pretty big organization and they do some fantastic work, as well as some shitty stuff. For instance, their undercover investigations into labs and slaughterhouses are awesome and has led to the exposure of a lot of cruelty, and resulting penalties/reform. Their shelter, however, is bizarre and puts down almost all of the dogs and cats they take in. Their justification for it is weak. And we all know one part of their M.O. is just publicity, and they take the angle that there's no such thing as bad publicity...and that's where the more extreme stunts come in. It's too bad that everyone only associates them with just the crazier stuff, but that's really their own fault, I guess.
    ConstanceSpry and lindsaywhit like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

They could greatly increase credibility by getting rid of that element. There are many people who would support the good work they do but don't want to be associated with the group due to the lunatic fringe.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Agree with Manx, I can't hate PETA because they've exposed so many cases of hidden animal cruelty, particularly in factory farming/animal processing/the fur trade. But re. other issues, they hurt their own cause by being too extreme. While I totally agree with their stand on circuses and wild animals in captivity, they also don't want cats and dogs to be companion animals. They think they'd all be better off dead and while that might be true for abused and neglected animals, it certainly isn't for cats and dogs who are well taken care of by their people. And their opinion that cats and dogs should be fed a vegetarian diet is dangerous.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I once called into a radio show where G. Gordon Liddy was interviewing a PETA spokesman. I asked if they would eventually ban insect spray and Listerine because they kill defenseless bugs and germs.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Agree with Manx, I can't hate PETA because they've exposed so many cases of hidden animal cruelty, particularly in factory farming/animal processing/the fur trade. But re. other issues, they hurt their own cause by being too extreme. While I totally agree with their stand on circuses and wild animals in captivity, they also don't want cats and dogs to be companion animals. They think they'd all be better off dead and while that might be true for abused and neglected animals, it certainly isn't for cats and dogs who are well taken care of by their people. And their opinion that cats and dogs should be fed a vegetarian diet is dangerous.
    Cats cannot be vegetarians physiologically. It will kill them because they must have meat products. I do know a couple of people with vegetarian dogs that mostly seem okay. They're not as filled out and glossy as I think they should be, but otherwise okay.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^Yes, in the case of cats it is impossible to provide species-appropriate nutrition without meat protein. It just makes no sense for an obligate carnivore. The same as if people tried to force their horses to eat meat.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Cats cannot be vegetarians physiologically. It will kill them because they must have meat products. I do know a couple of people with vegetarian dogs that mostly seem okay. They're not as filled out and glossy as I think they should be, but otherwise okay.
    I read somewhere that if cats are put on a vegetarian diet that they will go blind because they need taurine, which is an amino acid that they could only get from meat.

Cats are carnivores unlike omnivorous dogs. I fully support keeping more aggressive dogs on a low protein diet, but I think they should have some to be at their healthiest.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I knew a hardcore vegan that tried to put her cat on a meat-free diet but after about a week of finding bits of dead bird/lizard/mouse around the house and yard she promptly switched her back to meat.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    From Wikipedia,

"A canned hunt is a trophy hunt in which an animal is kept in a confined area, such as in a fenced-in area, increasing the likelihood of the hunter obtaining a kill. According to one dictionary, a canned hunt is a "hunt for animals that have been raised on game ranches until they are mature enough to be killed for trophy collections.""

The animals have got no survival instincts because they've never lived in the wild.

You pay your $13,000 or so and you get a souvenir picture crouched down behind whatever you just shot.
    God, that's fucking disgusting. What kind of a lazy, self-righteous asswipe would partake in such a thing?? Oh wait...
    Nevan likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I read somewhere that if cats are put on a vegetarian diet that they will go blind because they need taurine, which is an amino acid that they could only get from meat.
    I never knew that. That's quite interesting.

I've been anemic almost my entire life (including now). There are times that I truly CRAVE red meat. Like if I don't have it, I feel like I'm going to pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I never knew that. That's quite interesting.

I've been anemic almost my entire life (including now). There are times that I truly CRAVE red meat. Like if I don't have it, I feel like I'm going to pass out.

I had the same thing pretty badly when I was younger, but it mostly corrected itself after I had kids. The two seem to be very unrelated, so go figure.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Then why do you call them Petards?
    For the reasons stated ^^^^^^^

I have absolutely no problem with people who choose not to eat/use animal products and I admire and support those who work to expose animal cruelty. But I do have a problem with the strident, aggressive ferals who give their cause such a bad name. Many of them are unhinged and even dangerous. I see a few on FB via my newly militant vegan accountant and some of it is disturbing with gruesome, graphic images of animal cruelty and suffering. I know they think these shock tactics will get the message across but I just can't take these lunatics seriously I'm afraid. And the ranting comments that they leave are so vicious and filled with violent hatred it rather undermines their professed care and compassion for all living things.
    Last edited by A*O; May 6th, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Nevan likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information