Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Not Healthy For Your Dogs....

Talk to anyone about pet food and you'll get 100 different stories and recommendations. My 2 cents, look for food manufactured in the US. With US ingredients, with the exception of lamb which is usually from New Zealand. Make sure that meat is the number one ingredient. Try to avoid the corn and iffy byproducts. Also, one of the biggest ingredients used in dog food is chicken and a lot of dogs don't tolerate chicken well My dog seems to have an allergy to chicken. We switched to a fish based, grain free diet and his itching has decreased a ton.

You'll get a lot of good info here https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Making food is a great option. We do that on occasion with our older guy. We mix it in with some high quality dry food. We feed a brand called Zignature and are really happy with it. It's a reasonable price point with being a novel protein and grain free

In the end, a fed pet is a happy pet!
    SHELLEE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post

I got a new puppy last year.. Cowboy
    So Witchy, how's your baby? What does Cowboy look like now?

czb

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Talk to anyone about pet food and you'll get 100 different stories and recommendations. My 2 cents, look for food manufactured in the US. With US ingredients, with the exception of lamb which is usually from New Zealand. Make sure that meat is the number one ingredient. Try to avoid the corn and iffy byproducts. Also, one of the biggest ingredients used in dog food is chicken and a lot of dogs don't tolerate chicken well My dog seems to have an allergy to chicken. We switched to a fish based, grain free diet and his itching has decreased a ton.

You'll get a lot of good info here https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Making food is a great option. We do that on occasion with our older guy. We mix it in with some high quality dry food. We feed a brand called Zignature and are really happy with it. It's a reasonable price point with being a novel protein and grain free

In the end, a fed pet is a happy pet!
    i agree with this.

however, when she was a puppy, our dog did really poorly with dog foods that had meat as the #1 ingredient. and i'm talking about premium brands like canidae and natural balance. the vet did testing, no conclusive results. i tried different foods and through elimination, i figured out that she didn't do well with high protein/high fat foods. she just doesn't tolerate it. so now we give her nutro with some other things mixed in, like plain cooked rice or oatmeal. she loves it and does fine. i'm sure most dogs don't have such sensitive stomachs but for whatever reason, our snowflake does.
    KrisNine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i agree with this.

however, when she was a puppy, our dog did really poorly with dog foods that had meat as the #1 ingredient. and i'm talking about premium brands like canidae and natural balance. the vet did testing, no conclusive results. i tried different foods and through elimination, i figured out that she didn't do well with high protein/high fat foods. she just doesn't tolerate it. so now we give her nutro with some other things mixed in, like plain cooked rice or oatmeal. she loves it and does fine. i'm sure most dogs don't have such sensitive stomachs but for whatever reason, our snowflake does.
    Interesting. Just goes to show, all dogs are different. My dog didn't do well on anything like chicken or turkey. Also, he couldn't tolerate duck. It gave him terrible gas. It was like having a farting frat boy in our living room!! Our snowflake is sensitive in different areas, he's itchy as hell.

We use a salmon based food or a whitefish based protein. He does really well. The food stinks a bit

czb

^^^ yeah, our dog was an oddball wrt food. most dogs do well with high protein. our pup loves the protein but it does NOT love her. ew ew ew

UPDATE crappy crappy update. The same dog that has the seizures has also been having UTIs, blood in her urine, etc They come and go. So a couple of months ago my Vet did an ultrasound on her bladder area. She has sludge in her bladder....no infection just sludge. My vet blamed it on the high mineral home cooked diet. So I've been eliminating veggies and nothing helped. Yesterday I find out that Fig trees (not figs themselves) are toxic to cats and dogs. I haVE A HUGE FIG TREE. THE LIMBS AND LEAVES EXCRETE THIS SAP WHICH IS TOXIC. SHE'S BEEN EATING THE LEAVES AND FIGS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW. Next to the tree is a large asparagus fern which is also toxic. Has anyone heard of these being toxic? I keep an eye on the toxic food lists for animals and I've never seen the Fig tree or the fern on them. I'm so mad I could spit. So it's all being ripped out cut down which is a bit sad. It's a beautiful tree and supplies me with a lot of shade, but I love my dogs to the moon and back so it has to go. Cowboy eats and plays with the figs which are a healthy treat just not the leaves and limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    So Witchy, how's your baby? What does Cowboy look like now?
    Hi Sprynkles, here is a new photo of him:

The Whole Pet Diet

I like the Whole Pet Journal for up to date pet info.

Here's a great recipe for Cats and then add some oatmeal for dogs.

The Whole Pet Diet Chicken Stew
    aka Doc’s Stew(r) – My Newest and healthiest updated recipe from my book

Special note: use organic ingredients whenever possible
    5 pounds Whole Chicken or Turkey (bones, organs, skin and all) Beef is fine too!
    6 – 8 cups spring water – (just enough to cover the meat. let the veggies steam, so don’t add too much)
    1/2 pound of additional beef liver, or chicken liver or turkey liver (your choice)
    1/2 pound of wild salmon
    2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
    1/2 pound green peas
    1 pound coarsely chopped carrots
    1 pound coarsely chopped zucchini
    1 pound coarsely chopped yellow squash
    1/2 pound of coarsely chopped green beans
    1 pound coarsely chopped celery
    1/4 teaspoon kelp powder Dash of dried rosemary
    See Chef’s Tip on Freshly Grated Toppings

For Dogs: Add 12 oz. of Rolled Oats and adjust the water content to a total of 10 – 12 cups or enough to just “cover” the ingredients.
    (I don’t recommend the grains portions for cats)
    Combine all ingredients in a 10-quart stock pot (stainless steel, please). Bring to boil, reduce to low, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Once finished (your carrots are soft), let cool and de-bone the chicken by hand. With an electric hand mixer (I use one available from Sears for about $19) or a food processor, blend all the ingredients into a nice puree. Using plastic yogurt containers, or Tupperware, make up “meal-sized” portions or what you will need for three days, and freeze what you don’t need immediately. Be sure and seek your pet’s advice for ideal meal sizes. Also, never serve cooked chicken bones to a pet; they splinter easily.
    Yields: 20 cups for cats and 26 cups for dogs

Dog Feeding Directions: Daily, split the following recommendations into at least two meals.
    10 pound dog: 1 – 1 1/2 cup
    20 pound dog: 2 – 3 cups
    40 pound dog: 4 cups

For each additional 20 pounds, add 2 cups. Remember, all pets are individuals and you will need to let your senses guide you. Amounts will vary depending on age, activity level, current health, weight and season.
    Cat Tip: Cats should be allowed to eat for 1/2 hour, twice daily; remove and clean up all uneaten food, which gives the body plenty of time for brief fasts throughout the day. This recipe is especially important and beneficial for cats with kidney problems or FUS. Never serve hot or cold food to your cat. Room temperature is best
    Dog Tip: To stretch your meal for dogs, you can add a slice or two of whole grain bread to each meal upon serving. Never serve hot or cold food to your dog. Room temperature is best
    Ailing Pet Tip: A pet that’s under the weather and or in recovery should start with portions of only the broth. It will be easier for them to process the rich, amino acid filled fluids and their body will not be expending energy in the digestion process, which may take away from their natural healing abilities. A healthy pet can dig right into the chunky stew filled with all the great ingredients
    There’s never been a more complete and Holistic Pet Food that gives your pets everything you need to achieve glowing, great health. (Make sure to sign up for my newsletter NOW, so your lucky dogs and cats don’t miss another morsel!)

Re the recipe I would cut back on the vegetables, they don't need that much and it gets so costly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information