Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New web site: Adopt this dog or he will die

Hit By Ban Bus!

I need to be thinking about who would take my cat if anything ever happened to me. Honestly, I don't know anyone right now who actually could. That upsets me. Oh dear.

I think anybody who takes their pet to a pound without having made a documented effort to find a home for it (exceptions for pets whose owners died suddenly etc.) should be made to walk through the facility and watch a video of several pets being euthanized. Now that's what I would call a truly effective education program!

You could always ask for your cat to be euthanized, although that would be a last resort, Mira.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think if I provided free food and kitty litter for a year, that would ease the transition of taking on my cat. At least I would hope so. I really need to start thinking about that. If he needs to be euthanized, I want someone to come to the house and do it, not at a clinical facility where he would be totally stressed out.

I too am one of those who unfortunately find it waaay difficult to visit a humane society or pound. It ruins my week, let alone day. 9 years ago, my son and I had to look for a beloved cat of mine that disappeared 10 years ago. We could barely see the animals through our tears, yet the image of one emaciated Afghan hound behind those bars will never be erased from my mind. I prayed for that dog for quite a while after that. It was so incredibly heartbreaking. Had I had the right living situation in which to adopt it, I would have done so on the spot.

Now I have to leave this thread before I start bawling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    so how do you pick which one to save, and how to you NOT feel guilty about the ones you passed over?

I couldn't do that, just pick and choose.. i can't even watch those horrible humane society commercials or telethons
    It starts to feel a bit too Schindler's List
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^And that is exactly what it is. I went to a no-kill shelter a couple of years ago and even though it was one of the nicest, most modern ones with outdoor areas for both cats and dogs, I was upset for weeks. I just want to take them all home, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I need to be thinking about who would take my cat if anything ever happened to me. Honestly, I don't know anyone right now who actually could. That upsets me. Oh dear.
    This worries me too when it comes to my pets. God this really upsets me.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^I'm sorry, guys. It's just something I've thought about a lot since so many people I know have died lately.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I"ve actually been thinking about this lately, and this thread only revives the issue for me. I'm thinking my neighbor who really likes my guy would take him. She likes him a lot and he likes her, and she's a huge cat person. She'd definitely need the money though. I know he'd have a good home with her. Problem is, she's got a big white fluffy alpha female cat and that could be a problem!

No, it really needs to be thought through and considered and other pets need to be factored in.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes, that is true. I have a very good friend with a huge beautiful backyard with lots of flowers and trees. I can see my boy being happy there (he really likes her too, when she comes to look in on him occasionally), and he wouldn't be much bother. Though they are not pet owners at the moment, I'm going to ask her. I'm pretty sure she would do it for me if really necessary. Now I feel better.

I really hope that's a possibility Mira.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thanks Venus. I think he'd worm his way right into their hearts. Though he's a feisty boy with me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information