Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neuter/Declaw

A*O

Default Re: Neuter/Declaw

Neuter = no brainer. You're an idiot if you don't.
    Declaw = I wouldn't for all the reasons stated already and doubt I could find a reputable vet willing to do it. I know cats are independant, bloody minded buggers but you CAN train them to an extent provided you are willing to devote a lot of time and patience. A good squirt from a water pistol is a very good deterrant when they misbehave and they eventually get the message but be prepared for an epic battle of wills. I used to just take the ultra-sharp tips of our cats' front claws with a pet nail clipper and it prevented too much major damage.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

KD, sounds like a perfect deal for your retarded shih-tzu. And your dad.

Yeah, I keep telling myself to get a water gun. I really need to. Even if it doesn't stop the cats from scratching, it will give me great satisfaction to squirt them. Except, cats are also quite sneaky & vengeful, and I'm afraid of what they'll do to me for revenge when I least expect it.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Sorry I keep on going off topic into talking about dogs but my homestay had a Lassie dog that would chew on furniture (the legs of chairs and tables) and they put some Tabasco on them and that taught the dog never to mess with furniture. Would something like this work on cats? Like if they have some kinda aversion to a particular smell or something?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

PB or somebody on here mentioned last winter that cats don't like citrus smell. I grated some orange peel & sprinkled it under my Christmas tree, and the cats never bothered it or knocked off the ornaments. I tried sprinkling some on top of my tables, but that's a pain, and it didn't seem to work.

About the tabasco, I wish I'd have thought of that a long time ago. My shih-tzu has RUINED the legs of all my wooden chairs. You know that stick of wood that runs parallel to the floor, that connects to all the legs & helps stabilize them? It's the perfect height for her to walk up to & chomp down on. They all look texturized. I just tell myself that no one notices.

I tried the hot sauce trick to try to get a dog to stop chewing furniture and she just developed a taste for spicy food.

Anyway, to those cat owners who are considering declawing, have you tried these first? http://www.softpaws.com/ You trim the cats claws and glue on the soft covers. Works for my indoor babies. Two of them are super mellow and I can do it all at once and one has to be done a claw or two at a time because he's squirmy. It's a bit of a hassle and the claws grow out and they have to be redone periodically.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I'll check it out, but the thought makes ME squirmy. I require protective gear to even pick up the Ass Cat. Forget getting him into a carrier for a vet trip - both hubby & I ended up bleeding. He hasn't been to the vet in quite a while. He would totally kick my ass if I tried to put something on his feet.

A friend of mine bathes her cats. I crack up everytime I think about it. I suppose I would do that if I seriously wanted to commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    I'll check it out, but the thought makes ME squirmy. I require protective gear to even pick up the Ass Cat. Forget getting him into a carrier for a vet trip - both hubby & I ended up bleeding. He hasn't been to the vet in quite a while. He would totally kick my ass if I tried to put something on his feet.

A friend of mine bathes her cats. I crack up everytime I think about it. I suppose I would do that if I seriously wanted to commit suicide.
    OMG...my oldest cat is that same way. She's such a cranky old thing - the last time I had her at a vet, they actually had to Muzzle her. Snarling, growling, everything. But she loves me, and only me - so I really can't be mad at her!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy
    I tried the hot sauce trick to try to get a dog to stop chewing furniture and she just developed a taste for spicy food.
    Oh nooo. She didn't get tummy problems from it did she?

ETA: I was watching the discovery channel or TLC or something last night and this person was saying ppl like spicy food cuz it actually damages your stomach where your brain will produce endorphins to counter the pain (if I remember the neurochemical correctly) so it gives them the happy feeling.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Goose, I commend you for taking care of your pets. They will be FINE. I'd rather see a loving owner take care of her pets (neuter and declaw, whatever) than the hundreds upon thousands of homeless kitties destined to die after a short life. Good for you, you have beautiful baby kitties...and I can't wait to have more of them myself someday (when my human babes are older).
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia

Dame Edna Everage

KD
    Elite Member

^^^Pretty much says it all right there.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    Oh nooo. She didn't get tummy problems from it did she?
    No, luckily the goofy creature seemed to have a cast iron gut.

There are vets and groomers who will apply the soft paws for a fee (I have no idea how much). So, Lobelia, if you could wrestle your demon cat into a carrier, you could drop him off and let someone else deal with it as you stroll away nonchalently.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    Goose, I commend you for taking care of your pets. They will be FINE. I'd rather see a loving owner take care of her pets (neuter and declaw, whatever) than the hundreds upon thousands of homeless kitties destined to die after a short life. Good for you, you have beautiful baby kitties...and I can't wait to have more of them myself someday (when my human babes are older).
    Algernon, THANK YOU!! These babies were my birthday present, and they are so wonderful. As an aside, they were brought to my house from a farm where the rest of the litter died. I feel very good about having to save these little babies!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

A*O

To avoid lacerations and gouged eyeballs I used to just throw a large towel or blanket over the cat, bundle him up and put the whole parcel in the cat carrier. By the time he'd fought his way out of it the door was double locked and he was my prisoner.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    To avoid lacerations and gouged eyeballs I used to just throw a large towel or blanket over the cat, bundle him up and put the whole parcel in the cat carrier. By the time he'd fought his way out of it the door was double locked and he was my prisoner.

I know I'm opening myself wide up for this, but that was good! I can see each one of my cats doing that. I actually had to call the vet (this was about 8 years ago) to try to figure out how to get my oldest cat into the carrier for and hour and a half ride. I finally had to tip the carrier up on its end and put her in butt first, so she couldn't see where she was going!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information