Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Need help with a damn dog

A*O

Maybe it's because of a bad childhood experience but I'm uneasy with German Shepherds. There's a reason why they are used so often as police dogs. I know that with proper training they can be wonderful family pets but I'd always be on edge waiting for their basic instincts to suddenly kick in. Many breeds were developed to do specific jobs and if that job included hunting, guarding, protecting and yes, fighting (I'm looking at you Mr Pitbull) then I'd keep clear. Also, German Shepherds are usually quite big dogs so I wouldn't have one on that basis alone.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Maybe it's because of a bad childhood experience but I'm uneasy with German Shepherds. There's a reason why they are used so often as police dogs. I know that with proper training they can be wonderful family pets but I'd always be on edge waiting for their basic instincts to suddenly kick in. Many breeds were developed to do specific jobs and if that job included hunting, guarding, protecting and yes, fighting (I'm looking at you Mr Pitbull) then I'd keep clear. Also, German Shepherds are usually quite big dogs so I wouldn't have one on that basis alone.
    I love German Shepherds, especially old German Shepherds (those are a bit bigger and their hind doesn't slope as much as standard GS). My sis used to have one way back when I was a kid and that dog was just so sweet with her toddler kids. It also really depends on the dog's owners. Down where I live now, there are several GS dogs (which by the way are really medium sized dogs: they're smaller than our Goldendoodle, except their heads are way bigger) that all seem to have quite dominant personalities, even aggressive (some of them). So we steer clear of those dogs on walks. Same goes for pittbulls and American Stafford bull terriers or whatever their names are. Those dogs are pure muscle and once they bite, they won't let go. Quite a few of those around here, too, again with owners who don't seem to know how to raise dogs and control them. Our dog was bitten by one when she was about a year old and it took 5 grown women to get that dog off of her, terrifying, and then it attacked its owner, too!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I talked to my cousin who is a K9 officer. He loves the GS breed and said he loves his dog like family. Still, he had a few reservations, which was enough for me.

We met a few more goldendoodle and I've decided I love those damn dogs. After calling every "breeder" in the state, I think I have finally found a reputable one. She asked me 100 questions, said we'd have to sign an agreement that we would spay our dog, and promise to bring the dog back to her of we couldn't care for the dog. All good things. This litter should come any day and then she gives up photos weekly until the dog can come home with us. So excited!! Thanks for all of the great advice.
    laynes, Kittylady, McJag and 1 others like this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Congrats Bella! Of course we'll need to see pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I talked to my cousin who is a K9 officer. He loves the GS breed and said he loves his dog like family. Still, he had a few reservations, which was enough for me.

We met a few more goldendoodle and I've decided I love those damn dogs. After calling every "breeder" in the state, I think I have finally found a reputable one. She asked me 100 questions, said we'd have to sign an agreement that we would spay our dog, and promise to bring the dog back to her of we couldn't care for the dog. All good things. This litter should come any day and then she gives up photos weekly until the dog can come home with us. So excited!! Thanks for all of the great advice.
    Oh, good for you. Our breeder also had a questionnaire about living conditions, what kind of house we live in, lifestyle questions etc. We live in an apartment but are surrounded by parks and fields, so the lack of our own backyard isn't an issue. Then there were two "visiting" days. The first time all prospective owners could just study the litter with their parents in a pen and the breeder mingled with all of us. After that the breeder matched the pups to the future owners he felt would be best suited for the specific pup. Then the second visit we could actually meet "our" pup and see how she interacted with her siblings and all the strange people. It was fun. The first few months with a pup, I swear, are harder than with human babies, but after that period it only gets easier. Good luck!

^Our Bailey at 5 weeks on the left And around 1 year old on the right.

***** celeb

fgg

bella - i missed the post where you said what you did with the nutter. did you take him back to his previous family?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Such a cute pup HWBL.

The damn horse dog went home. We had only planned to have him two days before taking him back to his owner. We were supposed to talk then if we really wanted to keep him.

Meet our newest baby! She is 9 days old. My kids have a count down calendar going on until we get her.

Meet our newest baby! She is 9 days old. My kids have a count down calendar going on until we get her from the breeder (who is holding her in the photo).
    laynes and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

Is that a golden-doodle ? so freaking cute

Soooooo cute. If it's a goldendoodle, is it first gen (Golden Retriever x Poodle) or backcross, like ours, (first gen doodle x Poodle)?

^Our muppet on one of the visits at the breeder's at age 6 weeks
    Last edited by HWBL; July 8th, 2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added a pic
    Bellatheball likes this.

***** celeb

F1 goldendoodle.

Cuteness!

fgg

adorable!!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

So adorable!! Congrats.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information