Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My puppy won't stop eating poop

Whenever my cats had kittens, they'd always eat their baby's poop if they made a mess on the floor. In this situation, it's instinct. In the wild, many females in the animal species ingest their babies' poo so that a predator doesn't smell it and come a sniffin'. I can't imagine why they'd do it under any other circumstances. They like the taste? My ex's pug loves to eat dust. The vet said it was probably because they could taste salt in the dust? YMMV.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Both of my dogs love the poop. We always joke that they clean up after themselves. My vet suggested lemon juice on their food- they like the taste on the food but not when it's in the poop. Didn't work. Now I just scream, "Leave it!!!" like a maniac. Usually doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    ^ I just wanted to add that. I did it with my dog when she was a puppy... I coated poop next to our house with tabasco sauce. She never ate poop again.
    (But all my neighbours thought I'm complete out of my mind. I mean... What would you think when you see a woman wandering around with a tabasco sauce in her hands, searching for cat poop and splatter them with tabasco? )

LMAO!!!! It is a great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Our dog will eat cat poop from their litter box. We've been trying really hard to break the habit and she's not doing it as much as she used to, but occasionally she still has herself a snack.

I will catch my dog occasionally eating it out of our cat litter box, too. Makes me so mad! Gross!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    When I had a dog he used to eat poop. Horse poo was his favourite and cow pats! Gross, but there you go. The pleasure of owning a dog lol!
    you know, our vet always told us that this is healthy for dogs.
    -

My pup will sniff it like made, but hasn't snacked on it yet. Of course, having said that, she'll probably be eating it by sundown.

If so, the Tabasco idea sounds great!

I remember letting my dog Noel lick my face until I caught him licking his anus after I gave him a bath. Forever skeeved.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Bronze Member

This link has been like therapy to me. My 13 year old dalmation mix eats cat turds daily. I try to watch her when she goes out, but often catch her too late. She is so dainty, sweet and smart. I just can't get over that she eats poop. I feel much better now

I was told by Humane Society workers that dogs instinctively like cat poop because it's rich in iron.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

From what I read, the cat poop itself isn't too bad, it's the litter that's attached to the poop that's bad for the dog.

My fave is when she's done eating it and wants to come over to kiss me, it smells so gross. She also licks the kittens bottoms, but that might be more mommy instinct than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    From what I read, the cat poop itself isn't too bad, it's the litter that's attached to the poop that's bad for the dog.

My fave is when she's done eating it and wants to come over to kiss me, it smells so gross. She also licks the kittens bottoms, but that might be more mommy instinct than anything.
    From what I know it's likeley to get worms from it. Most dogs are dewormed, so are most domestic cats. But not all cats are. So if your dog eats the infected cat poop, they become infected by ingesting those worm eggs.
    Where I live it's also likeley to have your dog infected with the fox tapeworm. Apparently the deworming won't help against it.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    If my dog gets a hold of a pair of my son's dirty skid marked undies, he will chew on them. Sorry for the tmi...
    When my beagle was a puppy he would steal my underwear, hide under the bed, and chew out the crotch part. I went through many pairs during those 6/7 months. Although once we got him fixed the fascination died!

I also have a friend whose two puppies would eat the eachother's poop. No joke, while one was squatting the other would come up and try to lick that shit straight from the source like soft-serve ice cream...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I spent the night at a now ex-boyfriend's house, and his black lab ate the entire crotch out of my Vic's Secret undies during the night. When I expressed my indignation, of course the dog was defended. One of the reasons he's an ex.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I spent the night at a now ex-boyfriend's house, and his black lab ate the entire crotch out of my Vic's Secret undies during the night. When I expressed my indignation, of course the dog was defended. One of the reasons he's an ex.

ewww! that is one of the many reasons i will likely never own a dog. i feel guilty for being so cold-hearted, but they just really gross me out. i don't even really like to pet dogs or have puppies lick me. *runs away from all of the awesome animal people here...sorry!*
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information