Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My male cat was sick this weekend; please pray for him

Silver Member

So glad to hear the great news and glad you are having a happy ending!! I understand about the vet bill. After my cat sad story of last month, I am now left with a vet bill of roughly 6 thousand. Yup. Dont know what i am gonna do, but living panic everyday at my financial mess now. And the weird part, I JUST finished paying off my youngest brother's funeral of the same amount. The universe is fucking with me AND my poor boy didn't make it. *sigh* Yup. I am a bit bitter. but really TRuLY happy for everyone who has their babies home and purring. That is truly sincere on my part and i have been sending good vibes to you. (Sorry to be self-pitying, guys on Alice's thread)

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ holy shit! omg, I can never say I had it bad then compared to that, I'm so sorry from the bottom of my heart and this a virtual hug.

Wow, I am so glad all turned out fine for your big guy, Alice. I was biting my fingernails while reading. We rescued a stray a few years ago who went through the same thing a few months after we took him in. You could tell he was feeling terrible, his little face was all pinched. Anyway, we had to take him in 4 times in 8 weeks to be catheterized, he just never seemed to stay unblocked long enough to recover. So, after doing research and checking on several cat forums, we had Perineal Urethrostomy surgery for him. This was 3 years ago and he has not had any problems at all. Fingers crossed that Salem does not have any more issues, but if he does it's not hopeless, he can always have PU surgery.

^ I know, and thank you, that's not really something I want to put him through, so I'm hoping this special diet works. Luckily he had no stones, but crystals in his urine and hopefully they'll have lessened at his next checkup, and thank you again I'm glad you were able to find a solution too. So many people can't or don't and end up losing their loved one. Just so unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Awww... get better Salem. Hope you make a SPEEDY recovery!!

*hugs*

Soooo cute!

I love the name Salem. He's cute!! Glad he's ok...or will be.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ I know, and thank you, that's not really something I want to put him through, so I'm hoping this special diet works. Luckily he had no stones, but crystals in his urine and hopefully they'll have lessened at his next checkup, and thank you again I'm glad you were able to find a solution too. So many people can't or don't and end up losing their loved one. Just so unfair.
    Yes, hopefully a change in diet will keep him well. That surgery is not easy, and recovery takes a long time. We had to buy a kennel to keep him confined during his recovery so he wouldn't be too active or mess with the stitches. Of course, he had to wear the collar as well.

We would take him out and remove the collar several times a day and supervise so he wasn't stuck in the cage for too long. The kennel was in my husband's office cause it's bigger than mine, so hubby took over giving him his antibios and pain meds, and they bonded big time. He hadn't been too thrilled about taking in yet another stray and was resistant, but now they are best buddies. He also tells kitty to go make pee-pee, and he pees on command for him.

^ jeez, yeah thats exactly what I want to avoid among other things; I just don't want him to suffer any more than he has; he doesn't deserve it. he's a good boy and I'm lucky to have him in my life. Some people that've met him call him the puppy dog

the funny thing is, he's not aware of his size compared to the other much smaller cats in my home, he's just a big baby underneath. Never been violent with me or anyone. He scared the stupid cable guy by walking into my room when it was being installed and sneaking up behind him, from the next room I heard the guy scream like a girl

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    I went through the same thing you're going through. I got my cat from a shelter and within two weeks he was in an animal hospital facing a possible blockage. Luckily for me and my cat he managed to pee and avoided being operated on. It cost $900 for 2 days care and following a special diet but he's been fine ever since. This was 4 years ago, by the way. The quality of food makes a lot of difference and in the end costs less than vet bills. Good luck to both of you, Alice.

thank you and you're right. I was trying to save money, b/c its tight lately of course and I made a big mistake I think, also I haven't stuck to any one diet for them, I just buy whatevers cheapest but reasonable and sometimes I get good quality stuff. I should have stuck to the quality stuff and only given him the right portions. LESSON LEARNED! and I will never take my baby for granted again.

Happiness starts to return...so glad to hear this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

thank you thank you thank you!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information