Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My kitty :(

Silver Member

Unhappy

my vet said to hold two fingers over the nose and put the pill in the mouth

cat has to inhale with the mouth

it worked for my kitty

I'm so sorry you're going through this- and kitty too. Seeing a pet sick is so hard, especially when it seems the vet isn't as worried as you. Keep pushing your vet, and if he isn't responsive, find another one. A good vet will get you in no matter what.

As for the pills, it is so hard. But have patience. Once kitty knows what to expect, it will be a lot easier. My 14 year old cat never had a pill until she was 11. And it was the hardest thing ever to give them to her. I had to wrap her in a towel, she'd fight it so much. But, she got used to it and now its no biggie.

Keep us updated.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Well i went to YouTube and watched all the "how to give a cat a pill" videos. I was actually feeling pretty confident. I had her on my lap, wrapped her in a towel, coated the pill in margarine etc....still bloody torture. I managed to get it down in about 4 tries though. It's so hard, it feels like i'm hurting her.

If anyone has some time, check out the vids on YouTube, some of the cats are like mine and you can see that it's a battle royale.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I'm so sorry your kitty is hurting right now. I really hope she gets well soon. Give her a big hug and kiss from me.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

is it a pill that can be crushed? I usually crush my kitty's pills and mix it in tuna.

Well she hasn't been eating very well and the first time she was at the vets (she was there all day while they did tests and gave her IV fluids), they gave her a bunch of different types of prescription food and found one that she loves. She has been eating really well so i definitely don't want her to go off her food. In the past when i've tried to give her treats she has puked them back up--very sensitive stomach. I'll try the pill again tonight, then maybe i will try some pill pockets and see if she can tolerate them.
    She's also been really, really vocal for the past few days --howling and last night i kept hearing her wander around caterwauling. That makes me uneasy too because it's unusual and a distressed meow.

Sounds like a kidney stone or something similar. Old cats get major kidney issues, and her tract is probaly blocked. Lots of water and something to help it desolve if you can. She probably is in a bit of pain, not to mention feels a bit bunged up
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh for fuck's sake. Now she has DIARHHEA! Oh my poor baby. She's definitely in pain. She just went into my bathroom, HOWLED, then came out, went to the box and had a long gassy poo. And then for the grand finale, she did a little scooting and licking of her flaming asshole. And i'm just about to attempt giving her the pill....

ETA: i got it down on the second try!! I'm bleeding, and my cat has never in her life scratched anyone in anger, play or by accident. She fought like i've never seen her before, i was literally wrestling with her on the bathroom floor, holding her skull and trying to keep her mouth shut. I won that battle. I still can't believe she swallowed it, but i didn't see it on the floor at all.
    Last edited by t13nif; June 9th, 2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: update

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^At least she swallowed the pill. I hope she's much better in the morning.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

How's kitty?

How's kitty today?

Maybe you could go back to the vet and see if they can give her an initial injection of antibiotic. Sometimes that really helps kick start their immune system. I have two cats that seem to get kidney/pee problems once or twice a year.

I got the pill down on the second try last night--i don't know if i'm getting better or if she is calming down a bit. She seems better today--not howling. I'm still waiting for the results of the urine analysis and culture. I called the vet and they said that the results hadn't come back but that the vet would call me when they did. I asked if the results were going to the vet that i saw last (the incompetent) and they said that they were, so i asked if they could instead go to the vet i normally see. They said they would (thank god). I'll be giving kitty her sub-Q fluids tonight.

KrisNine--she has had 2 anitbiotic injections in the past month--the first time when i intially brought her in as she had some kind of internal abcess, then again 2 weeks later just to be sure. And now it is 2 weeks later and she has this infection.The vet said they couldn't give her another injection although he was probably wrong. I'll see when i talk to my regular vet.

Hi, I have gone through similar experiences with kitties. I wish you and your beloved friend all the luck ever, and am sending prayers that everything will be okay. :
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

It's probably the antibiotic giving her the diarrhea. Poor little girl.

I would definitely think the antibiotics are giving her diarrhea. My dog just had surgery and she got diarrhea from the antibiotic.

Hope kitty is better and you get the results soon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information