Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dog = Jeffery Dahmer reincarnated. Semi-rant.

I don't have any great suggestions, as I have a small Pug who isn't destructive, but your dogs sure are adorable!

That's such a funny story! I agree with the obedience classes and doggie daycare. Fin loves his daycare pals and he's always so tired after.

Clipper is really cute, but he'll act like a puppy for awhile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

obedience training is a must, but in the meantime, you can start working with him at home right now. He sounds like he's bored, to be totally honest, and i don't mean physically, i mean mentally bored. Dogs tend to get destructive or act out when they are frustrated... so get his brain going! do some basic Sit, Down, Stay commands going... just for 5-10mins a time... keep it short and fun! Do Puppy Push-ups, make him go from sit to down to sit to stand even... keep mixing it up. it'll keep his mind active and he'll be happy to do it.

try using a clicker for training too... do a search on Karen Pryor... she's the clicker training queen.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I agree that it is normal for puppies to be disruptive and destructive.

However dogs will only do what they've been allowed to do.

So in 6 months or a year from now if you are still complaining about the things he is doing now, you know where to place the blame.

As far as food goes, the dog should never decide that he is allowed to steal anything of yours, including food. If he will take it from a counter it is only a matter of time before he snatches from wherever he wants.

One way to prevent this is to teach "take it". Hold out a piece of food or snack and put it right in front of a dog's nose. When they go to take it say "no", (ok, not just a sweet, soft-voiced "no") but do not back up or move your hand away from their nose. The dog needs to retreat, not you. Dog can't have the food until you say "take it". Training a dog to "take it" is really trying to prevent a dog from ever trying to take food from a person (especially a child) without permission.

I can understand that dogs are members of the family and should be treated as such. But we place rules and boundaries upon our children too.

In the end I believe training is vital because a dog is an animal.
    If you invite an animal into your home you should be able to maintain control of it.

Damn, that was long........didn't mean to rant.

ur dog is too effin cute!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post

The thing is, within 1 hour of getting the toy home he will destroy it.
    First he'll rip the nose off, than the eyes. After
    he's done desecrating the face of the 'baby*' he'll start ripping the stuffing out. It looks like it snowed in my living room whenever he takes the stuffing out. Fortunately we learned the lesson fast, not to get toys with little beanies in it...those things are a bitch to clean up.
    an hour? thats good going my fox terrier close to 2 yrs usually managed to *kill* stuffed toys in 5 mins and he follows the same pattern but when hes finished he will sit there and act all proud that he has killed it and im standing there just shaking my head
    but hes my baby and i lurve him to bits and in all other ways hes perfect

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information