Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: My cat has verbal diarrhoea

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I know this might sound a little crazy but try working him into a bedtime routine, the same as you would with a child. When you are in bed and ready to go to sleep give him some time petting/brushing him and then encourage him to settle down, curl up and go to sleep. Also don't talk to him after lights out and don't get up to see what he wants. Its hard to resist responding to them sometimes but eventually they get the idea that this is the time when their hoomanz need sleep and will occupy themselves. One of my cats is a midnight talker and I found this worked well with her. Once I'd spent a week feigning sleep when she trampled all over me and not asking her what was wrong/looking for her she got the idea and started amusing herself elsewhere in the house or working on taking over the whole bed so I'd wake up holding onto the edge of the mattress.

And don't worry about answering them during waking hours. I do it all the time. Hell, the other week I caught myself saying "excuse me" to one of mine as I stepped over them...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^Thanks, I'll try that out, it makes sense. Someone else told me to play with him before bedtime, but that just seems to get him hyped up.

Necro because I'm having a different problem with the same cat and don't want to start a whole new thread. This is about food.

He refuses to finish the food in his bowl and wants me to top it up rather than eat what's there. I know this is common, but it's getting ridiculous and he'll eat my girl cat's food rather than finish his own. I've tried leaving it for days but then he stalks me and lies in wait to spring out and demand food every time I walk through the kitchen doorway (he's sitting in the dark watching me now). I don't like wasting food and they eat Science Diet which is expensive but even if I throw out the leftovers and give him fresh food he'll only eat some and then an hour later will demand more. I've tried giving him smaller portions, bigger portions, makes no difference. I clean his bowl pretty regularly but even if I leave it for a couple of weeks he still does the same.

And he also drops the little food pellets at my feet and all around his bowl. He won't eat it until I pick it up and put it back in, meanwhile I'm crunching dry cat food all over my kitchen floor. He will circle around his bowl, chirp at me, start biting on his food and then drop it at my feet as he circles my ankles. It's a whole routine and it's really fucking annoying.

Despite all this he's still a fatty.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Could it be an issue with him reaching the bottom of the bowl comfortably? Too fat to reach the bottom or too much effort to reach into the bowl. Have you tried using a plate with just a small amount on it and only top it up when he finishes it?
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Well his head is the only skinny part of him (pin head with wombat body) but at our old place he used to have a really shallow dish with a moat to stop ants getting in and he would drop his food into the moat then holler for more, and the smell of wet cat food is pretty rank so I moved him onto a deeper bowl. He can easily reach his food though.

A lot of cats won't eat from a bowl if their whiskers touch the sides. Could be that.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

^^^
    cut off his whiskers!!

just kidding.
    my cat does this but not as badly. he's also a chatty little fucker and makes the pigeon cooing sound too. don't know if the two are related.

i think your cat might just be a weird eater. mine is too. he lies down to drink water. stands to eat his dry food. moves his bowl, sometimes to the middle of the kitchen. is a messy eater too and leaves little pellets of dry food everywhere. if i don't top off the bottom he'll eventually eat it if he gets hungry enough but what i do sometimes is top him off, mix up the 'old' food with the newer stuff at the top, or take out the old food and pretend that i'm giving him all 'new' food and then throw the older stuff on top, so as to not waste anything.
    faithanne and effie2 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The noisiest cats I've ever run into were Siamese. They have a really low-frequency meow that literally sounds like "Mao" (was Thailand ever under Red China's sphere of influence?). And they are constantly meowing, like they think they are having a conversation with you or something.

Anyway, when I was a kid, my grandmother had one, named Kim. Kim and I bonded really well, and when they stayed over at my parents Kim would sleep in my room. And EVERY night, at bed time, Kim would come to the top of the stairs and do that Siamese "Mao" sound until I went to bed.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

yeah my boris is at last half siamese. definitely chatty little shits.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think your cat might just be a weird eater. mine is too. he lies down to drink water. stands to eat his dry food. moves his bowl, sometimes to the middle of the kitchen. is a messy eater too and leaves little pellets of dry food everywhere. if i don't top off the bottom he'll eventually eat it if he gets hungry enough but what i do sometimes is top him off, mix up the 'old' food with the newer stuff at the top, or take out the old food and pretend that i'm giving him all 'new' food and then throw the older stuff on top, so as to not waste anything.
    This is my boy exactly! Except for the lying down to drink part. I do the mix the old food up with the new trick but he still leaves some at the bottom of his bowl then starts squawking for more. I'm more worried (not worried, curious) about why he drops food at my feet - is he sharing with me? Does it taste better after I've picked it up and put it back in his bowl? Crazy little fucker.
    Sassiness likes this.

Your cats sound like pains in the asses.

*flees thread*
    olivia and Sleuth like this.

haha cornflake, he is in some ways but then he's such a sweet little bugger you can't stay angry at him.

maybe he wants you to feed it to him. boris loves to be fed by hand too, which i never do unless he's sick or i'm feeding him treats. my old vet said it's normal, that he's just a mama's boy

As the proud owner of 8 cats over the years, I can tell you that they are all pains in the ass, in their own little ways
    shedevilang and rockchick like this.

The Authorities are not getting the proper cat message. Call in a Cat Whisperer.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Not a cat person, but the rule of thumb with dogs is if they show picky eating behavior then only put down their food at certain times and pick it up again after an hour. Don't feed them any treats in between (though an exception is made for when training dogs.) Dogs learn quickly their food is only available for a short time and start guzzling.

I know nothing about cats but the suggestion above about bowls interfering with their sensitive whiskers sounds really interesting to me.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information