Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Vick's dogs rehabbed for a new life

I'm so glad these poor babies have good homes now. The whole Vick scandal really got to me.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

I'm probably going to get pummeled for this, but here it goes.

I have a totally different perspective on this. I am a shelter worker and have been for the last two years. I work in an inner city shelter on the east coast.

I don't think that this should have been done.

Millions of dogs are euthanized annually. Dogs like the dog next door to you, who didn't do anything wrong, but whose people moved and didn't take him and discarded him along with their other unwanted possessions. Dogs who would make amazing pets but for whatever reason, are no longer wanted. Dogs that aren't flashy, aren't any particular breed, are total mutts, but who would make fantastic companions but get passed up for not being adorable. God, some places still use gas chambers to euthanize these pets!

This euthanasia happens because of a lack of funding, pure and simple. There is not enough money to house, feed and care for all of the US's unwanted pets.

Fighting dogs (I'm not lumping bait dogs in here, they are a totally different topic), no matter how "rehabbed", are dogs that will never, ever be able to be trusted unsupervised with another animal. Even if you think all is rosy, aggressive, even killing behavior, can come out years down the road. I have heard some very tragic stories that bear this out. You could never take one of these dogs to the park to run off leash, never get another dog, never be able to just take a walk with it without constant vigilance. You can never, ever trust them alone with children, not even to go to the other room to get a glass of water.

Do you want one of these "rehabbed" dogs living in your neighborhood? Living next door to you? Potentially getting out of its yard (which happens all the time with dogs) and roaming the same neighborhood as your kids, your outdoor cats...?

While people are trying to rehabilitate dogs like the Vick dogs, hundreds of pit bulls, nice, well-socialized pit bulls and related bully breed dogs who make great ambassadors for their breed, are euthanized daily. DAILY. There are shelters, such as the Michigan Humane Society, who do not adopt out pits ever and all pits that enter their doors are euthanized. Every single one, even the sweet, goofy friendly ones are put to sleep for no other reason than their breed.

I have never once, not even once, in an entire year of trying, managed to get a pit into a rescue. Not even the best pit possible. Pit rescues are constantly full, especially in cities and almost no all-breed rescues will take them. Pits tend to not react well to being caged or kenneled, it does something negative to them mentally, so they really have a short shelf-life in a shelter and tend to degenerate psychologically more quickly than other dogs. I have learned to not get attached, because odds are high of them not being there in a week if they don't get adopted.

What happened to the Vick dogs was tragic, but from the shelter perspective, the reality is that they should have been euthanized, safely and humanely. While resources are being put into trying to mend these dogs, perfectly adoptable, wonderful animals are being put to sleep. The entire unwanted animal population as a whole would benefit from the money being spent on those dogs being spent elsewhere and those spots in rescue being used for dogs that could realistically go to new homes. Exponentially more dogs could be saved for the same amount of money.

Banshee, you make a good point. While I do think what happened to these dogs is tragic, I have to admit that I wouldn't feel safe bringing a dog who has been trained to fight and kill into my home. You never know what might set it off. Even if you're supervising the dog when it's with another animal or a child, if it snaps and decides to attack, there's not a lot that you can do. It could easily fatally wound its victim before you are able to intercede.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    While resources are being put into trying to mend these dogs, perfectly adoptable, wonderful animals are being put to sleep. The entire unwanted animal population as a whole would benefit from the money being spent on those dogs being spent elsewhere and those spots in rescue being used for dogs that could realistically go to new homes. Exponentially more dogs could be saved for the same amount of money.
    Wow. I had never thought of this perspective. Certainly throws a different light on these efforts.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information