Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Litter Kwitter

i remember a friend telling me about this. not sure if i could do it though, honestly it just looks like it would require a lot of discipline and we only have one bathroom in our apartment and it would be a pain in the ass to remove the pan every time we want to use it. also, we have to leave the toilet seat lid down all the time because when we forget, fucking cat drinks out of the toilet. it doesn't matter if his water bowl is full, he looooves to drink out of the toilet, the little shit.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My cats also treat the toilet as a giant water bowl if the lid is left up so I don't think it would work with them. The Bloke's cat might take to it though as her litter tray is in the bathroom and you can't go the loo without her deciding to go as well. Having said that, I think I prefer to poop scoop a tray rather than dashing for the loo myself, having to wrestle off a cat seat and then being faced with a festering feline floater...
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I am here to provide an update.

First, I'll give a little bit of background information. The set comes with three training trays: red, amber, and green. The red tray is completely filled in, the amber one has a hole in the middle, and the green one has a larger hole which fills almost the entire tray, forcing the cat to balance on the toilet seat. The instructional DVD that comes with the set recommends that you spend at least 2-3 weeks on each stage.

I really hope that this works, because I, like most people, bought the Litter Kwitter to eliminate the hassle and filth of a litter box. Once they're trained I'm sure it's great, but the beginning stages of the process are a nightmare.

The trays are only about an inch deep, which means that your cat cannot bury its waste, and urine often spills over the edge of the tray and onto your toilet seat or floor. The video instructs that you need to completely clean the entire tray after each use. This means that several times a day, I have to take the tray outside, hose it off, clean it with 409, and then replace it and put fresh litter in it. Every time the cat soils it. Because of the urine issue, I usually also have to do this to the rim as well as clean the bathroom floor on every occasion.

Since the red tray is filled in, often the cat will not sit on the toilet seat as it's supposed to, but will walk out onto the tray (which is covering the water in your toilet bowl) to use the bathroom. This results in the cat facing the wrong way, with its ass out, positioned over the floor or toilet seat instead of over the tray. When this happens, the cat will eliminate directly onto the toilet seat and/or over the edge onto the floor.

The video recommends positioning your cat if you walk in on it and find it positioning itself incorrectly, but when I tried to position La Fonda, she freaked out and jumped down, spraying diarrhea onto the toilet tank and floor.

After that, I started picking her up and placing her on the toilet, facing the correct way, a few times a day, petting her profusely in the hopes that she would recognize this was the proper position. It did help some, and she has seemed to pick up on the fact that she gets rewarded for using the toilet, because after shitting she will run up to me, meowing, and lead me back to her food bowl where she waits for her prize.

I am a stay at home wife with no other commitments at this time, so I have time for this, but I honestly don't see how any working person could be expected to do it. Because you need to clean the tray every time the cat soils it, and reward the cat after each toileting experience, you have to be able to observe your cat basically all day long.

Hopefully as we progress to the next stages it gets easier.

your cat's name is la fonda? that's awesome.

MsChiff and southernbelle like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

"spraying diarrhea onto the toilet tank and floor."

LOL, awesome!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Well, I finally gave up on it. She was progressing pretty well until we got to the orange stage when you replace the filled in tray with one that has a large hole in the middle. She used it a couple of times but quickly became increasingly distressed. She would walk around the bathroom, obviously wanting to go, and cry. She began to have toileting accidents (peeing on the bath mat and our bed). Other days, she would hold it and would not use the bathroom all day, but would stand in there crying uncomfortably. At one point she began to cry frantically while in our room and paw at me like she was trying to tell me something, then she proceeded to pee all over the carpet, and then tucked her tail between her legs and started to cry. It was like she was embarrassed.

I put the red disk back on the toilet, and she used it without a problem, but she faced the center of the toilet instead of facing out (probably because of fear of the hole that had been in the center of the orange disk), and as a result peed over the edge of the toilet all over the floor.

I searched for other people's posts and reviews on this, and I found a lot of people who had similar problems. The advice they got was always something like, "Just have patience - it took my cats over 9 months!" I'm not waiting that long. It had gotten to the point where my cat was regressing in her toilet training and was obviously very upset, and I just could not continue to put her through this. I was also sick of cleaning up the mess. I purchased this to make it easier on myself, and it's more of a hassle than a regular litterbox.

I put her regular litterbox back in the bathroom last night, and she was so excited and grateful. She used it immediately and took great care to cover her waste (with the Litter Kwitter, she would jump down immediately, in a hurry to get off of it). Then she came up to me and jumped into my lap, purring and making kneading motions with her paws. She has been happy and active all day. I think everyone in our family is happier now that we've quit the Litter Kwitter. Maybe for some people this works, but our experience was that it was so upsetting to our cat and absolutely disgusting to clean that we can't recommend it.

Thanks for the update. Sorry it did not work out. Guess I'll stick with the litter box too. I bought a covered one that has a swinging door. Somehow they still get litter on the floor. But I'd rather sweep up a few bits of litter than clean up pee.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Awww SB, your poor kitty, she really hated it. I'm glad you decided to not distress her any further with this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Sounds like using a litter box would be far less hassle! Just cleaning the first stage pan several times a day is more work than the litter box never mind all the time spent trying to train the poor cat.

Off topic, but for scoopable litter, this thing is amazing and cheap! LitterLocker, The best soiled litter disposal system - Home. Keeps all the smell locked away neat and tidy and has storage for the scoop right on the side.
    southernbelle likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Unless I can also train the cat to flush, I don't see the point in this system. Alice is an inveterate digger, she loves to make herself comfortable and then spends ages covering her waste (1s or 2s!) And frankly, her poo REEKS. When I scoop, there may not be any smell before I start to clean up but as soon as the clump of poop hits the water of the toilet.... jesus. To come home to that every day, floating after she's pooped but not flushed... fuck NO. Not dealing with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information