Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Last Thanksgiving with my oldest ferret

Oh, Mrs. P, I'm so sorry. My daughter-in-law introduced me to ferrets, and I fell in love with Mr. Poe - he was very sweet and cuddly and loved just curling up on my lap and going to sleep. Then, he would wake up - and be a terror on four legs - he was so fast, he cracked me up. I was surprised that the dogs and cats were only mildly interested, but DIL explained that they don't smell like prey? Is that right?

Anyway, please keep us posted - we have a whole bunch of seriously crazy about our fur babies people here, as you know. My animals have saved me from despair many times.
    ConstanceSpry and Mrs P like this.

Minty is on a steroid medication for insulinoma. We give that to him twice a day. Ugh, have to force feed him soft fancy food every four hours, so it's like a damn newborn baby waking up in the midle of the night. But he's worth it. Mr P is taking it much harder. Minty was his first ferret. I had two before, and Minty's brother from a different mother Bowie passed away a couple of years ago. The other three are totally getting fat eating off of Minty's soft food. He's getting the VIP life of sleeping in fancy blankets and my damn bath robe.
    sputnik likes this.

fgg

aw, poor baby! he deserves that VIP treatment!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I wish you, Mr P and little Minty all the best. Stay strong.

(I didn't know that insulinoma was a thing. Fuck cancer.)
    I don't know whether warmth is indicated here, but there are heating pads for the microwave especially made for pets, they are called snuggle safe and they stay warm for 10 hours.
    “You think I look like like a clown?” Kourtney shot back. “Well, you look you just won the Tour de France and you’re cycling around town.”

Thanks for the update - give him a kiss and snuggle from all of us.
    Brookie and fgg like this.

He's doing well with the steroids. Hates his new medicine flavor. But he's semi active. Eating nice fancy mush food. Us picking up his old man accidents when he can't make it to one of the 20+ pee pad or litter boxes. He can make it down the stairs on his own, but can't make it up stairs. He still wakes up on Sundays when we have our cheat treat of an In n Out burger. He loves the sauce on the wrapper. Other ferrets are keeping him warm with cuddles sleeping. We go back in for more blood tests in a month. Doesn't seem to be in pain. Does his daily semi-blind patrolling around the house. I still laugh when he runs into walls. He can't climb on the couch anymore to sleep in the fancy faux fur blanket I got from Christmas, so he's taken ownership of my soft rob that's on the ground to be washed. His favorite sleeping spot, so he can have it.
    sputnik and fgg like this.

Well, udpate on Minty the ferret. Sunday before Memorial day, we knew we had to take him in to be put down. Couldn't walk anymore, crapping all over the place, forcing him soft food and water, not good times. We stayed up late until about 3am cuddling him. Woke up at 7am and he had passed away in his sleep before taking him in. We have his ashes now. Our vet is very nice, they were crying over him. He was their oldest ferret at 8 years knocking on 9 in a month. I'm not religious, but his last picture cuddling Mr P on the couch has the stair lights shining down like a rainbow. RIP Minty Moos.

I’m so sorry mrs p, that’s heartbreaking.
    fgg likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Awww Mrs. P, so sorry to hear this. He sounds like such a sweetheart.
    fgg likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information