Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Labradoodles, Puggles and other "designer" crossbreeds

A*O

Even within specific pure breeds each dog has its own personality on top of whatever general traits the breed has so it's a bit of a lottery really. Pit bulls have a 'reputation' and I have to say I wouldn't trust one even if it's "the sweetest dog in the world". They were originally bred to fight and I believe there is still a latent attack instinct buried deep in the genes. It may not always show itself and some pit bulls are absolutely great pets but whenever you hear of a kiddie's face being chewed off by a dog it's almost always a pit bull, a rottweiler or a mutt with those genes. It's not a coincidence.

I know this point of view isn't popular with pit bull owners who will leap to the defence of these dogs but when there are so many alternative breeds I don't understand why people choose them to be honest. Apart from the shaved and tattoo'd morons who like to strut around with a pit bull on a chain to prove how 'hard' they are.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I always look forward to reading A*O's posts...Lol.A*O never has any grey areas...Thx A*O.

I have had labs now for years....one of the reasons for the cross with the poodle was to correct a bad hip that had became a problem in the lab breed,due to much inbreeding over the years ....The sheading of hair that the labs are so bloody famous for was also purtant near stopped...or so i have been told as A*O said.

Thumbs up

I love labs

Hit By Ban Bus!

Here be the Jeannie pup....well she is really a lady and may I say....Is treated like one....she knows every word I say....she spends all her time with me.

She wants tobe let inside....she got her way of course.

She hates being tied up...

Sorry about the size..I forget how to resize them...help!

Elite Member

AO -- I so agree with your pit bull assessment. You never hear of someone being mauled by a collie.

we have a "designer" breed....by accident. we use to regularly visit pet shops, and a little grey puppy really caught our eye and tugged hard on the 'ol heartstrings. we couldn't resist. he is an italian greyhound and beagle mix. i guess they call them "greagles". he is very sweet, but very needy. the beagle side of him has made him sturdier then a typical italian greyhound....we don't have to worry as much about broken legs, he isn't as fragile as a purebred. however, when he gained weight he looked funny.....a big barrel beagle belly and long skinny legs with a little beetlejuice peanut head. we got him to lose the weight though. however, he does have seizures....don't know if that is from the cross breeding, or what.

It does seem silly to pay so much for what is essentially a mutt (don't get me wrong, I love mutts, but you could rescue a great one at a shelter).... but I have to say, I find puggles adorable.

Silver Member

This is the first time my family has ever been ahead of a trend. We've always had 'mutts'. When I was a kid it was a Cocapoo-Beagle who was a one person dog (loved my dad, put up with the rest of us), excellent watch dog but not so great with kids or visitors. When he died we got a Lab-Shepherd, he was a pretty good watch dog but didn't get the whole guard part of it (unless licking intruders to death counts) and he was incredible with kids. He died in October. We had decided he would be our last pet but I admit I'm pining for another. I'd like to get a labradoodle because I love the lab temperment and they're a bit easier on allergies. Has nothing to do with a trend but everything to do with what would fit our family best. I don't understand how people can go out and get a dog without having it become part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
    Here be the Jeannie pup....well she is really a lady and may I say....Is treated like one....she knows every word I say....she spends all her time with me.

She wants tobe let inside....she got her way of course.

She hates being tied up...

Sorry about the size..I forget how to resize them...help!
    Awww she's cute. My black lab sleeps on my bed sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Even within specific pure breeds each dog has its own personality on top of whatever general traits the breed has so it's a bit of a lottery really. Pit bulls have a 'reputation' and I have to say I wouldn't trust one even if it's "the sweetest dog in the world". They were originally bred to fight and I believe there is still a latent attack instinct buried deep in the genes. It may not always show itself and some pit bulls are absolutely great pets but whenever you hear of a kiddie's face being chewed off by a dog it's almost always a pit bull, a rottweiler or a mutt with those genes. It's not a coincidence.

I know this point of view isn't popular with pit bull owners who will leap to the defence of these dogs but when there are so many alternative breeds I don't understand why people choose them to be honest. Apart from the shaved and tattoo'd morons who like to strut around with a pit bull on a chain to prove how 'hard' they are.

I totally agree. We have a greyhound and 2 italian greys, and you will never hear of these breeds mauling people.
    Coffee is my happy drug

A*O

^^^ Having said that, a friend of mine lost her white fuffy shitsu/maltese/froufrou thing to a retired racing grehound who spotted this little dog in the long grass and went after it thinking it was a rabbit like at the racetrack. I don't blame the greyhound - it had been trained to chase after small fluffy things - but the owner should have known better than to let is loose with other small dogs around. However, greyhounds need a lot of exercise so what can you do? Again, I guess it's a case of picking a dog that suits your lifestyle, your family and the facilities you can offer.

I was visiting friends recently who live in a small apartment in a big block in the city. They were complaining about the nuisance of barking dogs all over the building whose owners were out at work all day leaving the dogs locked in these small apartments slowly going crazy with boredom. And some of them are big dogs like German Shepherds or even, sigh, rottweilers. WTF?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My neighbour in the previous building had a big dog... Sheperd X I believe. The stupid owner wouldn't take it out for a walk, she would be playing with the dog in our small narrow hallway throwing a ball. And the suites in the building were TINY. Ours (the same as the neighbour) were a one bedroom plus den, 500 give or take sqf. Not an ideal situation for large pets esp when they don't get an outdoor exercise.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

My client has an Aussie Labradoodle and looks just like the one in the picture. This dog is like a rag doll/noodle (like overcooked spaghetti). You can pick him up and he stays in any position you put him in. He's the sweetest thing.

He's so gentle that I could see them being great with children. He'll bring you his toy, but he's not pushy, lol. It's like he's saying "here's my toy, but it's really okay if you don't feel like playing, I'm happy just to stare at you".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information