Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Labradoodles, Puggles and other "designer" crossbreeds

Dogs are cute no matter what they are! My cousin has a DORKIE (Dachsund/Yorkie mix) and I think that is the coolest of the mix breeds, the name is the coolest part about it.

I think its crazy that people are willing to spend so much money on these designer mutts when they can get one for free or a much cheaper rate at the shelter. That's my biggest problem with purbred/designer dogs, it means one less shelter animal will find a home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    My problem is..how can you predict which dog is gonna get that perfect mix of both breeds? And what happens to the puppies that don't fit the bill?
    You can't.
    They'll end up at the shelter.. with the others.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Those desinger mutts are just precious, but I'd rather get mine from the pound and save a life.

As for mixes, 2 smartest dogs I ever had:

Pekingese/Poodle/? -- she looked just like 'Benji' but was gray.

German Shepherd/Black Lab/Pit Bull -- excellent guard dog and gentle with kids.

^^ I had a beagle/lab mix that had an IQ of 190 where food and escaping the backyard was concerned...about 3 otherwise, lol.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Well, my Shit-Pin likes to think that she's special so I let her, lol!

Anyway, that puggle inthe picture has the cutest little weenie, awwww!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think this can be taken to extremes, but hybrid with a poodle or schnauzer in there has the advantage of not shedding hair. Sounds a trivial concern but believe me, not having every surface in the house covered in dog hair is a HUGE plus. I know a few labradoodles and they are great dogs.
    Not a trivial concern.

My late doggie was a poodle/pekingese mix. He NEVER shed hair (good thing he didn't take after the pekingese side) and I'm always surprised when I pet or cuddle with other dogs only to realise afterwards they left half their hair on me.

edit: obviously, he wasn't a designer dog. His parents just both happened to belong to the same guy (family friend), and one thing led to another.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    ^^ I had a beagle/lab mix that had an IQ of 190 where food and escaping the backyard was concerned...about 3 otherwise, lol.
    *giggle*
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    I used to have 2 little miniature beagles-- they were adorable, but not too bright.

A*O

I have 2 schnauzers and they don't shed either. I know I'm biased but they are great little dogs and super smart. The only drawback is they can be a bit yappy when people come over or even, shock, walk past the house but with training they quickly learn to STFU when required. Beagles are nice, compact dogs but they need a LOT of exercise. People don't do nearly enough research before getting a dog. They seem to think that "cute" is the most important criteria and while it helps there are more important things to consider.

I agree that these hybrids are basically mutts but provided the breed mix is chosen carefully I don't have a problem. To be honest I'd rather pay for a hybrid where I know the mix (from a reputable breeder, natch) than take a rescue mutt where you have absolutely NO idea what's in there. Too many of these dogs are abandoned because they are agressive or unpredictable or downright crazy and I'm not prepared to take that risk.

My neighbours got a rescue puppy which was all cute and lovely. It's now 2 years old and appears to be a mix of ridgeback and pit bull and I strongly suspect it was bred to fight. It's extremely agressive and these people have 2 small kids. Unbelieveable.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

To be honest I'd rather pay for a hybrid where I know the mix (from a reputable breeder, natch) than take a rescue mutt where you have absolutely NO idea what's in there. Too many of these dogs are abandoned because they are agressive or unpredictable or downright crazy and I'm not prepared to take that risk.
    ^^ Good point. You need to be prepared to deal with whatever behavioural and medical problems they might possibly have.

I personally like puggles, very very cute. I've also heard about the less shedding of cross breeds. Pure breed pugs shed like crazy.

My SIL has pug crosses. Pug X Shihtzu and pug X terrier. They look nothing like pugs, you wouldn't have guessed they had any pug in them if you didn't know.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Shedding is definitely a concern...my two borders shed like crazy. I have two kirby vacuum cleaners...one for upstairs, one for downstairs. I don't think either vacuum has ever seen a closet...no reason to ever put them away.

I have a Yorkshire Terrier.. Bailey. They do not shed either.
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Gold Member

I think this whole designer trend was just some clever marketing after someone's dog made it through the fence! I have issue with it because of exactly what someone mentioned, not knowing which traits are going to come though.

As much as it pains me to think of animals in the shelters, I will not put my child/ren in potential danger. I have my beagle who we bought as a puppy, on clearance. She was so sad and it was cheaper buying her from the store than a shelter. She's about 9 years old now. I did have a mutt that we picked up from a basket at the sale barn. She was supposed to be a cocker spaniel, lab mix. She had an attitude problem, shed all over and was ginormous. Turns out she was more River Retriever and Spaniel. She was exceptionally loyal but too protective and I had to be watchful of her at all times when we were outside.

The best mixes we've ended up with were Chihuahua/Pomeranian crosses. Backyard breeding at its finest in my mother's kennel. Those little suckers can climb 6 foot high chain link! The problem is, when you have this fuzzy little Pom-Chi looking at you, oh they're so cute and you understand how tempting it is. Also, in that case, Poms had been crossed with Chihuahuas a few times to get a long haired Chihuahua.

Some breeds shouldn't be continued or do need to have something thrown in there to mellow it out. I just think it needs to be done with some experience and knowledge.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

^^Exactly. It takes several generations and selective breeding to produce some good stock. You can't just throw a couple dogs together in the back yard and hope for the best.

My grandmother raised and bred show dogs when I was a kid...mainly poodles. Any of the pups that weren't up to breeding standards were considered "pet quality" and sold as such. They were all spayed and neutered.

Elite Member

You can't determine what the mix will be when you breed two different types of dogs. We were looking at cavachons -- a mix of a cavalier king charles spaniel and a bichon frise -- but if you get one that is more bichon than cavalier they are VERY hard to housebreak, apparently.

We ended up adopting a 3 year old beagle from a rescue group. She is the best dog in the world. Love her to pieces. She is soooooo sweet, but is a nut when we take her outside and she gets on the scent of something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information