Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Biden buys a puppy

Where's Nicole in all this? Her man and a cute puppy?? Too much!

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Where's Nicole in all this? Her man and a cute puppy?? Too much!
    I thought of her when I saw the story.

New puppies are like having newborns. Or toddlers since they're mobile. Jill will have her hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    ^ I bought my dog from a BREEDER too! (GASP!!!!)

He was from an "oops" litter and was well taken care of. He's a happy and healthy dog, he's never been sick, never had any issues, listens, he's a good dog. The rest of his litter was well taken care of too, just like the purebreds. They were well loved and as soon as I brought him home I could tell he was use to being around his littermates, mommy and people.

There are breeders and then there are puppy mills. Only a peta fanatic lumps them all together.

I went to shelters and I couldn't find a young, healthy dog. Most of them were old, were full of health problems, etc. I needed a young dog to train and one that didn't have bad experiences since I planned to have children in a few years. I needed one with a "blank slate." And I didn't want to take in a sick dog, knowing that I didn't have tons of money to go to the vet constantly and didn't have the resources in general for a sick dog.

I guess that makes me a bad fucking person.
    I have 4 little doggies and a I adopted 2 and bought 2... I refuse to justify to anyone how I got my doggies. Don't like it, than too fucking bad. The only thing that matters is the way you take care of your fur babies. I'm sick of self righteous people telling you how to live according to their standards. You're an awesome person who has opened up her home to an animal to take care of and love and you shouldn't be made to fell bad no one should.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I have 4 little doggies and a I adopted 2 and bought 2... I refuse to justify to anyone how I got my doggies. Don't like it, than too fucking bad. The only thing that matters is the way you take care of your fur babies. I'm sick of self righteous people telling you how to live according to their standards. You're an awesome person who has opened up her home to an animal to take care of and love and you shouldn't be made to fell bad no one should.
    *cheers*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes!! That's why I don't boycott clothes and stuff made by little kids in sweatshops. I am sick and tired of self righteous people too!! Only thing that matters is that I take good care of my own kids!

The idea of selling off "oopsie" animals doesn't seem very humane to me.

The breeders try to produce a product, and create litters of unwanted puppies whether for money or a hobby (shows) in the process.

If a puppy doesn't come out "right," it's expendable. It's nice that some of them find loving homes from people willing to pay for bred dogs. But there are enough poor unwanted animals without having breeders offload their unwanted experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    The idea of selling off "oopsie" animals doesn't seem very humane to me.

The breeders try to produce a product, and create litters of unwanted puppies whether for money or a hobby (shows) in the process.

If a puppy doesn't come out "right," it's expendable. It's nice that some of them find loving homes from people willing to pay for bred dogs. But there are enough poor unwanted animals without having breeders offload their unwanted experiments.
    Bosh! That is the only way I would have such a handsome dog! He wasn't "expendable", he was sell-able, to the breeder. He can't sire,he can't take over the dog show,but he CAN and does light up the life of every single person he comes in contact with. Do you expect the breeder to kill off oopsies?? I am damn proud of my dog & his breeder.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Breeding batches and batches of litters just so the breeders can pick out the "pretty ones" for themselves and sell the rest... nope, not getting any credit from me just because they SOLD the animals rather than dumping or killing them.

They're playing a crapshoot trying to get specimens for show. Those who don't qualify end up competing in the already overflowing pool of unwanted animals.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Breeding batches and batches of litters just so the breeders can pick out the "pretty ones" for themselves and sell the rest... nope, not getting any credit from me just because they SOLD the animals rather than dumping or killing them.

They're playing a crapshoot trying to get specimens for show. Those who don't qualify end up competing in the already overflowing pool of unwanted animals.
    Not all breeders are like that! The president of the ASPCA was on Oprah and OK'd breeders. I have to think he knows better than you or I.

Thanks and I agree.

Instead of going after all these "bad" breeders (because they are ALL bad of course ), maybe some posters should go after their neighbors because they are not neutering/spaying their animals and are selling animals left and right. Look on craigslist or pennysaver and you will see what I mean. There are more average joes breeding dogs/cats then breeders. Many people get a cute dog or "purebred" and start breeding it over and over in their backyard to make a quick buck. They aren't licensed or knowledgable in dog breeding, but I guess it's okay to buy from them or get their unwanted dogs from the shelter since they aren't "true" dog "breeders."

The assholes down the street from me have a "Kittens for $20" sign every 2-3 months for YEARS. The humane society has been called about them and I saw their sign go up again last month. We should focus on people like that!!!!!!!!! They aren't trained in breeding and aren't being responsible animal owners.

Why don't we preach to those who are the real breeders in America?????????????? Let's go after the real bad guys, not responsible dog breeders who love animals.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post

Why don't we preach to those who are the real breeders in America?????????????? Let's go after the real bad guys, not responsible dog breeders who love animals.
    I totally agree, backyard breeders and puppy mills and people who don't spay/neuter are the main problem. But breeders who come out with these cutesy hybrids like labradoodles etc. don't help anything. They create demand, which then drives backyard breeders/puppy mills to breed those same hybrids, so they can make lots of money at the expense of the animals.

Dead Dwarf, going after my neighbors is exactly what my nonprofit does. We actually go door-to-door and ask total strangers if we can fix their pets. We have been doing this for 15 years, so now our reputation proceeds us. People now know to just come to City Hall and ask where the dog lady lives, or "La Loca" as I am also known, because I must be crazy to spend money on other people's pets. It works beautifully and our little rural farming area in Texas is heaven on earth for dogs and cats. I also call people who have animals advertised to give away and offer to fix the parents. Last kitten season, there were only 2 litters born in a population area of approximately 1500 people, and one litter was from a dumped pregnant cat that we couldn't trap in time.

Sometimes I will even use my own money to bribe people to let me fix their animals. I have had people tell me, "Well go ahead if you want. I usually just drown the puppies and break the kittens' necks."

I am sad for the posters who don't care how the animal came into the world or don't mind cleaning up other people's mistakes. And I truly hope the sweatshop comment was facetious. What kind of future do our children have if we teach them - well, as long as you're happy and satisfied, to hell with the rest of the world. Sad....

And I'm sorry if MY standards offend people - being humane, responsible, charitable and having a social conscience is just too much for some people to aspire to, I guess. Call me self-righteous if you like - I have seen such horrors in my work with animals that I think I have the right to be somewhat judgmental where animal welfare is concerned.

Yes, SpayNeuterLady, my comment was facetious. Just to illustrate we can't just take care of our own and not care what is going on with others. Which is the way I see puppy mills and backyard breeders. It DOES matter that people buy animals from these places, even if they take good care of them, because buying these animals is what keeps these creeps in business. If everyone only went to reputable breeders, Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders would not be a problem.

We are in TX as well and involved with TNR. It has really stabilized/reduced the feral cat population in our area. The local animal control people have lots of stories of people coming in and dumping several litters of puppies/kittens each year because they don't want to spend the money to spay/neuter. It is a sad, sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by spayneuterlady View Post
    And I'm sorry if MY standards offend people - being humane, responsible, charitable and having a social conscience is just too much for some people to aspire to, I guess. Call me self-righteous if you like - I have seen such horrors in my work with animals that I think I have the right to be somewhat judgmental where animal welfare is concerned.
    No,S&N-No one on here supports puppy mills. We all get upset over an abused pet,cry together when we lose one. I got suckered in by a back yard breeder with my first poodle. Sweet to me,but flawed. After THAT episode we sought out a decent breeder. I admire your work,I just think good breeders are great if you want a particular breed. We can't all be as knowledgeable as you are,or see as many bad things. My heart couldn't take it. Still,the people on here do as much as they can,in their own fashion.Everyone of them.

Quote Originally Posted by spayneuterlady View Post
    Dead Dwarf, going after my neighbors is exactly what my nonprofit does. We actually go door-to-door and ask total strangers if we can fix their pets. We have been doing this for 15 years, so now our reputation proceeds us. People now know to just come to City Hall and ask where the dog lady lives, or "La Loca" as I am also known, because I must be crazy to spend money on other people's pets. It works beautifully and our little rural farming area in Texas is heaven on earth for dogs and cats. I also call people who have animals advertised to give away and offer to fix the parents. Last kitten season, there were only 2 litters born in a population area of approximately 1500 people, and one litter was from a dumped pregnant cat that we couldn't trap in time.

Sometimes I will even use my own money to bribe people to let me fix their animals. I have had people tell me, "Well go ahead if you want. I usually just drown the puppies and break the kittens' necks."

I am sad for the posters who don't care how the animal came into the world or don't mind cleaning up other people's mistakes. And I truly hope the sweatshop comment was facetious. What kind of future do our children have if we teach them - well, as long as you're happy and satisfied, to hell with the rest of the world. Sad....

I admire the work that you do. And it's heartbreaking. My husband and I work with a local animal rescue org. also and we see how cruelly animals can be treated. Now you have the extra-added problem of the poor economy - where people are dumping pets or leaving them behind because they can't afford them. We do a lot of TNR, and low-cost spay/neuter but you feel like it's just a drop in the bucket, the overpopulation is so overwhelming. When you are involved in this - you could never see buying an animal when there are so many available for the price of an adoption fee at the shelter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information